The Wolfpac is going to Thailand

7,385 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by DE4D
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DrHeadShrink said:

wbt5845 said:

When they say something is hot, it means it'll kill you.

Order everything mild. Of course, they'll see you're a round eye and should adjust accordingly.

Truth. Leave your "I like hot TexMex" ego at the airport and choose life!
On business trip a few years back - one of our VPs, who'd never been, went to dinner with us. When they asked how hot, he said "I'm a Texan - I want it as hot as you make it." We tried to wave him off and explain they had a whole 'nuther concept of hell than us - he could not be swayed.

To his credit, when dinner came, he really tried to put on a good face. About halfway through dinner, as sweat streamed down his face, he admitted "I may have made a horrible miscalculation".

Indeed.
LisaMarie
AG
Don't forget to drink a ton of water. It is incredibly hot and humid. And I'm saying that as someone born and raised in Houston.
Wolfpac 08
AG
LisaMarie said:

Don't forget to drink a ton of water. It is incredibly hot and humid. And I'm saying that as someone born and raised in Houston.

Ok to drink the water there, or should we invest in bottled water when we arrive?
Al Bula
AG
I drank water poured from a pitcher and fresh (rinsed) vegetables that didn't give me the gripes but for sure stick with bottled water as a precaution.
LisaMarie
AG
Only bottled water. The ice I believe all gets made in a factory with clean water and is generally ok. You can find bottled water everywhere and it's super cheap for a giant bottle.
BenFiasco14
AG
Don't forget to take scenic photos of you and/or your wife looking out over trees or mountains with a lengthy Instagram caption preaching to everyone about hard work, hustle, and never giving up.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Unemployed
AG
Wolfpac 08 said:

LisaMarie said:

Ok to drink the water there, or should we invest in bottled water when we arrive?
Bottled water and check to make sure the seal is not broken.

And take a Pepto Bismol tablet before every meal. You'll end up with black poop but that's preferable to
diarrhea.

Better to be safe than sorry.
AgEng06
AG
GDit george
Aldine98
If y'all want company for the night go to Billboard in Nana plaza on Soi 4. Lots of pretty women and NO Lady boys! It's run by an American couple go in there and make it rain they love that ***** They play mostly hip hop.
Potcake
AG
Post pics of Ping Pong Show.
Shakes the Clown
Shakes says:

Man who go through airport turnstile sideways is going to Bangkok

coastalaggie
AG
If you have some downtime in Bangkok and are into learning new cooking styles, you will have fun with Cooking w/ Poo. I am not lying... when I lived in SEA I had a long weekend break from work and flew there for the course. There is a really cool backstory with her and her cooking school - https://www.cookingwithpoo.com/ -
Fair Winds and Following Seas
coastalaggie
AG
RealTalk said:

Wolfpac 08 said:

LisaMarie said:

Bottled water and check to make sure the seal is not broken.

And take a Pepto Bismol tablet before every meal. You'll end up with black poop but that's preferable to
diarrhea.

Better to be safe than sorry.
Nit sure If I agree with the Pepto advice. I have traveled to and lived in some really ****ty (sorry for the pun) places around the world and I found that the best thing is to let it take its course and get out of your system. Pepto and others will keep them critters in their for a long longer.
coastalaggie
AG
Potcake said:

Post pics of Ping Pong Show.
I was 21 years old in the Navy on a port call to Thailand when I first saw that. Right then in there I realized the force/power that thing yields.
coastalaggie
AG
Gawd forbid anything happens to you there, but make sure your medical insurance will cover you and includes medical transportation/medivac.
ThatOneGuy
AG
I spent 3 months all over Southeast Asia this year including Thailand. Eat at popular places that locals are at. If you have to wait in line for a table or for the street food stand then even better. Hot food prepared to order is your best bet. If you are curious about some food, but don't know what it is, then just order it. It will cost less than a McDonald's burger here and you can always get something else. There is food everywhere. Just walking through market stalls or picking pictures out of a menu without knowing exactly what a dish was led me to some of the best meals. When I would eat street food I would usually split 3 or 4 things with my wife over the course of an hour or two walking around. You can get pad Thai and red curry In any city in America, so eat something else. Eat khao soi in Chiang Mai. The weekend walking street markets in Chiang Mai are good. The South Gate and north gate in Chiang mai have good night food markets. Cowboy hat lady is at the north gate market and slings some good pork leg rice . I did a cooking class in most countries I visited so that's always a good time. Download the Grab app for taxis. Get a local SIM card if your phone is unlocked or get a plan through your provider for data. Download offline maps on google maps of every city you are going. You could get fancy and get reservations at some Michelin starred restaurants in Bangkok if you book in advance.
Wolfpac 08
AG
Thanks for the last minute tips!

We left at 11:30am (Texas time) on Wednesday and got to our hotel around 2:30am (BKK time - I think 1:30PM Thursday in Texas) on what I think is Friday. Slept for a few restless hours and now it's 7:15 am on Friday (hello from the future) and we're about to head out to explore Bankgkok.

What's the most exotic food you've encountered/tried here? We're here to eat and drink!
Agsby90duh
Your wife looks like a super model in that one piece swimsuit!
gggmann
AG
Wolfpac 08 said:

Thanks for the last minute tips!

We left at 11:30am (Texas time) on Wednesday and got to our hotel around 2:30am (BKK time - I think 1:30PM Thursday in Texas) on what I think is Friday. Slept for a few restless hours and now it's 7:15 am on Friday (hello from the future) and we're about to head out to explore Bankgkok.

What's the most exotic food you've encountered/tried here? We're here to eat and drink!

Try som tam, make sure it is Isaan style with plaa ra and the crab.

There's a million places to drink, but I like a little bar in sukhumvit soi 11 that sells trappist beer, sorry but I don't remember the name.
DE4D
AG
Get some kevlar shoe laces. And a loose roll of quarters. Duct tape the quarters back intona solid roll once you get thru security so you have extra heft in your pocket in case you have to run from anyone after your kidney. You dont have to outrun the organ harvester, just the wife.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.