Fish oil?

6,794 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BenFiasco14
Jack Cheese
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TequilaMockingbird said:

I was feeling occasional tightness etc in my chest. Started taking fish oil regularly in addition to a baby aspirin regimen that I was already doing. Haven't had them since.

I'm feeling tightness in my chest and pain going down my left arm. Short of breath, sweating. Maybe I'll take some fish oaaahhfgffhhhhh
unimboti nkum
AG
Social Media Influencer said:

unimboti nkum said:

Huge fan of fish oil here. It's also a great anti-inflammatory. I don't have to take naproxen regularly anymore.
Really? What specifically do you take? I'd be willing to try animal sacrifice if someone could say it works as an anti-inflammatory.
Viva Naturals Ultra Strength
Soso nikinombiki maaki dii.
TX AG 88
AG
TX AG 88
AG
KidDoc said:

TX AG 88 said:

RyanAg08 said:

TX AG 88 said:

Recent studies have determined that the fish oil benefits "found" in earlier studies are mostly non-existent. Sorry folks.

(EPA alone is clearly a triglyceride reducer, and is used medicinally as such.)

Thanks for the link to the study and the peer reviews. I can now make an informed judgment.

aren't you millennials "digital natives?" I told you there are more recent studies that debunk the earlier ones. I heard about it on the radio a few weeks or months back. I'm very sure there's something of interest in the top 10 Google results if you care to search. I don't care whether you do or don't benefit from the information I shared. In fact, I think so highly of your entitled attitude that i hope you DO continue (or start) to spend (waste) money on Fish Oil supplements.

I'd be extremely rewarded if you found some outrageously expensive Fish Oil suppositories to take, to be honest.
Refer to my prior post from UpToDate. That is a rather pricey but peer reviewed and well vetted website I use daily @ work.

Okay, thanks for the reference to a pay site. Not paying.

DGAS about fish oil. Almost sorry I mentioned what I heard on the radio. It was on a news program and it said that previous studies touting fish oil were possibly incorrect. Everyone here is welcome to spend their money where they want. Investigate further if you want. Keep doing what you're doing with or without question and be happy about it, or not... I don't really care! If you feel my comment wasn't helpful, don't heed it!

So much medical advice that becomes dogma and accepted gets overturned:

- don't eat eggs, it'll raise your cholesterol! Oops, dietary cholesterol really isn't very significant! Turns out your body's own production of cholesterol is the main factor. Whew, your 99 year old grandpa that has had 2 fried eggs every day of his life can rest easy, now!
- the food pyramid. low fat is the way to go!! oops, maybe it's really sugars that are unhealthy!
- etc.

Hope your fish oil turns out to be worth the squeeze. The emperor may or may not have any clothes. I don't think I know, just threw out a questioning comment - those of you who are certain one way or the other should certainly adhere to that path!
babyshark
Will these pills make it ok to consume all the salt? Curse that damn tasty devil.
Ronyaria
Thank you for the thread, I was looking for some info and experience with fish oil too. I would like to try it for me soon
Rongagin71
AG
In my younger days I once got accosted for eating smelly kippers in the lunch room.
The aggressors were the old lady who was Asst Mgr and her Lesbian friend.
I didn't argue since smoked herring does have an odor, just agreed not bring it again.
Later that afternoon the best looking girl in the office, who had been in the lunch room, came by my desk and struck up a very productive conversation.
Serious Lee
i once had a pysch major try to convince me that the reasons asians were smarter on average than westerners (and less susceptible to mental illness) was because of all the fish oil in their diet.
tehmackdaddy
AG
RyanAg08 said:

I buy Carlson's orange flavor. If you can get past the obviously oily texture then you should be okay. The serving size is in teaspoons but I take 1 tablespoon per day, which equates to eating a potion of salmon (like 8 oz or so). I hate eating fish as a main course so it helps a ton.

I also take Carlson fish oil and recommend it.

For those that don't like the giant pills or burping up bad fish taste, this is the way to go. Low quality fish oil is hidden inside the capsules so you don't taste it on the way down the hatch. You can't get away with that when it's a liquid and Carlson has a great reputation for quality with third party product testing.
Seven Costanza
AG
This the study that I believe TX AG 88 was referring to from the New England Journal of Medicine:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1811403

Quote:

Supplementation with n3 fatty acids did not result in a lower incidence of major cardiovascular events or cancer than placebo
https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/fish-oil-friend-or-foe-201307126467
Quote:

But the evidence for improving heart health is mixed. In November 2018, a study reported in the New England Journal of Medicine found that omega-3 fatty acid supplements did nothing to reduce heart attacks, strokes, or deaths from heart disease in middle-age men and women without any known risk factors for heart disease. Earlier research reported in the same journal in 2013 also reported no benefit in people with risk factors for heart disease.
However, when researchers looked at subgroups of people who don't eat any fish, the results suggested they may reduce their cardiovascular risk by taking a fish oil supplement.
Evidence linking fish oil and cancer has been all over the map. Most research, including the 2018 study cited above, has not shown any decreased risk of cancer. However, some earlier research suggested diets high in fatty fish or fish oil supplements might reduce the risk of certain cancers.

Also:

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/03/30/fish-oil-claims-not-supported-by-research/

Quote:

But there is one big problem: The vast majority of clinical trials involving fish oil have found no evidence that it lowers the risk of heart attack and stroke.
From 2005 to 2012, at least two dozen rigorous studies of fish oil were published in leading medical journals, most of which looked at whether fish oil could prevent cardiovascular events in high-risk populations. These were people who had a history of heart disease or strong risk factors for it, like high cholesterol, hypertension or Type 2 diabetes.
All but two of these studies found that compared with a placebo, fish oil showed no benefit.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Fish oil supplements are not magic pills. They're not going to magically erase years of eating Oreos, bacon and cheeseburgers. I'm always skeptical of these health studies because they are constantly contradicting each other. If a study includes people with high risk from unhealthy habits, fish oil isn't really going to do anything. If a person eats like crap while sitting on their ass all day, they are going to continue to be high risk, despite whatever supplements they take. If the study includes a bunch of healthy people who eat a healthy diet and exercise daily, how do we know that any lowered risk is coming from the supplement and not the already healthy lifestyle?
PoohAh97
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

I'm always skeptical of these health studies because they are constantly contradicting each other.
They're not simply contradicting each other, they're largely not reproducible.
tehmackdaddy
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Fish oil supplements are not magic pills. They're not going to magically erase years of eating Oreos, bacon and cheeseburgers. I'm always skeptical of these health studies because they are constantly contradicting each other. If a study includes people with high risk from unhealthy habits, fish oil isn't really going to do anything. If a person eats like crap while sitting on their ass all day, they are going to continue to be high risk, despite whatever supplements they take. If the study includes a bunch of healthy people who eat a healthy diet and exercise daily, how do we know that any lowered risk is coming from the supplement and not the already healthy lifestyle?

Control groups, and fish oil studies have them.
Tomdoss92
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

BenFiasco14
AG
So, looks like it might just be snake oil. Seems a lot of people are pretty passionate about that as well. My Dr recommended it, so I've been taking it. I obviously don't feel any different or seen any sort of changes, but whatever. It's like 5 bucks at HEB
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.