Fish oil?

6,736 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BenFiasco14
BenFiasco14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anybody take this? Do you or have you seen any real tangible benefit, or just a waste of money?

For your troubles:

https://instagr.am/p/B1-HPFODOEs
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
goodAg80
AG
good for the skin

KidDoc
AG
Proven benefits:
Lower Triglycerides
Helpful in adolescent anxiety and depression
Decrease systolic BP 1.5 pts
Reduce resting HR 1.6 bpm
Decrease risk of cardiovascular death by 36% with long term use

The general consensus from UpToDate is this:
Given the evidence for potentially-beneficial effects on coronary heart disease (CHD) death and sudden cardiac death, and no evidence to suggest harm:
We recommend that most adults without known CHD who are seeking information on a healthy diet be counseled to consume at least one to two servings per week of oily fish. We suggest that most adults who do not consume this much fish take a daily fish oil supplement (about 1 g/day). (See 'CHD death and sudden cardiac death, combined cardiovascular events' above.)

We recommend that patients with known CHD, patients who are at high risk for CHD, or patients who have established heart failure be counseled to consume at least one to two servings per week of oily fish. In such patients who are unable or unwilling to consume this much fish, we suggest prescribing a daily fish oil supplement (about 1 g/day). (See 'CHD death and sudden cardiac death, combined cardiovascular events'above and 'Heart failure' above.)

These recommendations are in general agreement with scientific advisories from the American Heart Association regarding the health effects of n-3 fatty acids from dietary sources and supplements [169,170].
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
RyanAg08
AG
This is a good article that got me going on fish oil. Ive taken about two tablespoons of liquid fish oil per day for the last year and a half. It seems to have cured or helped cure my depression and anxiety and I haven't gotten sick at all in the last year.

https://chriskresser.com/how-too-much-omega-6-and-not-enough-omega-3-is-making-us-sick/

BenFiasco14
AG
Whoa, thanks for all this! I should post hotties more often!
80s Guy
BenFiasco14 said:

See what happens when you follow the rules?
HBCanine08
AG
I used to take it daily but fell off the wagon. I've read that krill oil is also good.
Shakes the Clown
Kenny "the Krill" Hill
Duncan Idaho
Quackery
BleacherRat
Imagine getting paid just for looking good.
Gig 'em!
unimboti nkum
AG
Huge fan of fish oil here. It's also a great anti-inflammatory. I don't have to take naproxen regularly anymore.
Soso nikinombiki maaki dii.
Tatem
RyanAg08 said:

This is a good article that got me going on fish oil. Ive taken about two tablespoons of liquid fish oil per day for the last year and a half. It seems to have cured or helped cure my depression and anxiety and I haven't gotten sick at all in the last year.

https://chriskresser.com/how-too-much-omega-6-and-not-enough-omega-3-is-making-us-sick/

can i ask what brand?
TRD-Ferguson
AG
According to my internal medicine doc you're better off eating 3 to 5 cans of sardines during the week. It's what I have for lunch. Also keeps your coworkers away for the afternoon. Profit.
95_Aggie
AG
Just eat salmon twice a week. No supplements needed.
Woody2006
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

In fact, you should post nothing but hotties.
Woody2006
AG
Pacing The Cage said:

According to my internal medicine doc you're better off eating 3 to 5 cans of sardines during the week. It's what I have for lunch. Also keeps your coworkers away for the afternoon. Profit.

You eat cans of sardines for lunch?
TRD-Ferguson
AG
LOL! Just one can a day.
WES2006AG
AG
Fish oil works as intended but it will never be as effective as just moderating your diet, which we all know is easier said than done.
TxSquarebody
Years ago my wife was told by her doctor to take fish oil daily. Told our 8 year old son they were to turn her into a mermaid. Story was further solidified when I built our big aquarium a couple of months later. Had him convinced for a couple of years!
MaterialAg
AG
Consume it one way or the other, preferably with the meat
babyshark
Is there a brand that's better or should be avoided? You read all kinds of crap about fish oil supplements not having the composition they claim.to have.
TX AG 88
AG
Recent studies have determined that the fish oil benefits "found" in earlier studies are mostly non-existent. Sorry folks.

(EPA alone is clearly a triglyceride reducer, and is used medicinally as such.)
Not a Bot
AG
babyshark said:

Is there a brand that's better or should be avoided? You read all kinds of crap about fish oil supplements not having the composition they claim.to have.

I always make sure to get the sustainable, fair trade, gluten-free, vegan version whenever possible.
RyanAg08
AG
Tatem said:

RyanAg08 said:

can i ask what brand?

I buy Carlson's orange flavor. If you can get past the obviously oily texture then you should be okay. The serving size is in teaspoons but I take 1 tablespoon per day, which equates to eating a potion of salmon (like 8 oz or so). I hate eating fish as a main course so it helps a ton.

RyanAg08
AG
TX AG 88 said:

Recent studies have determined that the fish oil benefits "found" in earlier studies are mostly non-existent. Sorry folks.

Thanks for the link to the study and the peer reviews. I can now make an informed judgment.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I take it in pill form per the direction of my PCP.
74OA
AG
unimboti nkum said:

Huge fan of fish oil here. It's also a great anti-inflammatory. I don't have to take naproxen regularly anymore.
I started taking just the suggested daily dose about ten years ago and my hand arthritis which had been steadily worsening instead improved measurably within months of starting. Yes, probably purely coincidental, but........
TX AG 88
AG
RyanAg08 said:

TX AG 88 said:

Thanks for the link to the study and the peer reviews. I can now make an informed judgment.

aren't you millennials "digital natives?" I told you there are more recent studies that debunk the earlier ones. I heard about it on the radio a few weeks or months back. I'm very sure there's something of interest in the top 10 Google results if you care to search. I don't care whether you do or don't benefit from the information I shared. In fact, I think so highly of your entitled attitude that i hope you DO continue (or start) to spend (waste) money on Fish Oil supplements.

I'd be extremely rewarded if you found some outrageously expensive Fish Oil suppositories to take, to be honest.
BenFiasco14
AG
TX AG 88 said:

RyanAg08 said:

TX AG 88 said:

aren't you millennials "digital natives?" I told you there are more recent studies that debunk the earlier ones. I heard about it on the radio a few weeks or months back. I'm very sure there's something of interest in the top 10 Google results if you care to search. I don't care whether you do or don't benefit from the information I shared. In fact, I think so highly of your entitled attitude that i hope you DO continue (or start) to spend (waste) money on Fish Oil supplements.

I'd be extremely rewarded if you found some outrageously expensive Fish Oil suppositories to take, to be honest.
Hey Grandpa, "I heard it on the radio a few weeks or months back" doesn't count as squat for evidence.
Cromagnum
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

Anybody take this? Do you or have you seen any real tangible benefit, or just a waste of money?

For your troubles:

https://instagr.am/p/B1-HPFODOEs

Apparently it's not good for cans. Hers are missing.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Fish Oil Burps are nasty

More like snake oil
Liquid Wrench
unimboti nkum said:

Really? What specifically do you take? I'd be willing to try animal sacrifice if someone could say it works as an anti-inflammatory.
TequilaMockingbird
I was feeling occasional tightness etc in my chest. Started taking fish oil regularly in addition to a baby aspirin regimen that I was already doing. Haven't had them since.
Ulrich
Old people are so lazy.
KidDoc
AG
TX AG 88 said:

RyanAg08 said:

TX AG 88 said:

Refer to my prior post from UpToDate. That is a rather pricey but peer reviewed and well vetted website I use daily @ work.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.