How come many Aggies don't like Ol Sarge?

14,449 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by The Dog Lord
BleacherRat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Full disclosure, I didn't go to Texas A&M in College Station. However, I am an Army veteran of the Big Red One and have always been an Aggie fan since the 70's. Here's my question: I have read threads over the years here on TexaAgs that seem to indicate there is no love for Ol Sarge. Why is that???I think it would be a great marketing image for the school. I think it's a lot more feasible than say a cow with horns (ugh).

I think we need to try and make Ol Sarge popular again. I also think if someone can't like Ol Sarge, they must be from some communist country. Just my 2 cents.

Gig 'em!
FriscoKid
AG
Ol Sarge is cool. Way better than this.

MooreTrucker
AG
I think tons of Aggies love Ol' Sarge. The ones that don't are the marketing department. Toxic masculinity and military and all that.
Dr.Rumack
No bevel, do like!
hph6203
AG
He interferes with my feminist identity.
powerbelly
AG

Quote:

I think it's a lot more feasible than say a cow with horns (ugh).

I hope you don't do marketing for a living
MooreTrucker
AG
powerbelly said:

Quote:

I rest my case.
BleacherRat
hph6203 said:

He interferes with my feminist identity.
OK, I think I'm beginning to see the problem here.
Gig 'em!
powerbelly
AG
MooreTrucker said:

powerbelly said:

Quote:

I rest my case.
I love Ol' Sarge, but to act like a longhorn isn't a great mascot to market is just foolish.
BleacherRat
powerbelly said:

Quote:

I hope you aren't a t.u. troll..
Gig 'em!
powerbelly
AG
LewP said:

powerbelly said:

Quote:

I actually attended A&M. It seems you are the more likely tu troll here.
concac
AG
LewP said:

powerbelly said:

Quote:

You're not even an Aggie!!!
expresswrittenconsent
I dont dislike it. I'm pretty sure I have one or two t-shirts with ol sarge.
But objectively, it's not a very good logo. The cartoon potato head is the big issue.
BleacherRat
RealTalk said:

LewP said:

powerbelly said:

Quote:

OK, I rest my case on the Ol Sarge issue......

I succeeded in making my point. While I'm not a "real Aggie" most of you aren't "real veterans", but I didn't throw that in to the conversation. While I love Texas A&M and Ol Sarge, all most of you can do is attack me personally. I think it's pretty evident that while my intent was positive, I get negative arrows slung my way. Have a good day. Hope you sleep well at night.
Gig 'em!
powerbelly
AG
LewP said:

RealTalk said:

LewP said:

powerbelly said:

Quote:

I succeeded in making my point. While I'm not a "real Aggie" most of you aren't "real veterans", but I didn't throw that in to the conversation. While I love Texas A&M and Ol Sarge, all most of you can do is attack me personally. I think it's pretty evident that while my intent was positive, I get negative arrows slung my way. Have a good day. Hope you sleep well at night.
Unfortunately for you, this isn't a website for "real veterans" so no one really gives a **** about your *****ing.
MooreTrucker
AG
LewP said:

RealTalk said:

LewP said:

powerbelly said:

Quote:

Somebody doesn't understand the GB.
BleacherRat
powerbelly said:

LewP said:

RealTalk said:

LewP said:

powerbelly said:

Quote:

Unfortunately for you, this isn't a website for "real veterans" so no one really gives a **** about your *****ing.
Why are you even in the zoo? I thought you paid to be upper echelon???? Not enough D***'s there?
Gig 'em!
swc93
AG
Never realized people didn't like Ol' Sarge. I thought it was just our crap Marketing team that defends their ****ty bevel work all the time that pushed him to the side.
BleacherRat
MooreTrucker said:

LewP said:

RealTalk said:

LewP said:

powerbelly said:

Quote:

Well, maybe you can help me understand? I saw a thread earlier that indicated the GB was going downhill, yet, you want to talk in circles, so I'm asking, what's to understand about GB??
Gig 'em!
Uncle Howdy
S
LewP said:

powerbelly said:

LewP said:

RealTalk said:

LewP said:

powerbelly said:

Quote:

Why are you even in the zoo? I thought you paid to be upper echelon???? Not enough D***'s there?
This isn't the zoo
BleacherRat
Geralt of Rivia said:

LewP said:

powerbelly said:

LewP said:

RealTalk said:

LewP said:

powerbelly said:

Quote:

This isn't the zoo
OK, duly noted....
Gig 'em!
powerbelly
AG
LewP said:

powerbelly said:

LewP said:

RealTalk said:

LewP said:

powerbelly said:

Quote:

This isn't the zoo old man. This is the general board.
MooreTrucker
AG
LewP said:

MooreTrucker said:

LewP said:

RealTalk said:

LewP said:

powerbelly said:

Quote:

Well, maybe you can help me understand? I saw a thread earlier that indicated the GB was going downhill, yet, you want to talk in circles, so I'm asking, what's to understand about GB??
It's exactly the reason the GB is going downhill. People are taking what is said here WAY too seriously. You even tossed out the "tu troll" line yourself. Then got the "not an Aggie" reply and got offended by it. Nobody remembers how to take a joke anymore. Too on edge, just WAITING to be offended by something.
powerbelly
AG
swc93 said:

Never realized people didn't like Ol' Sarge. I thought it was just our crap Marketing team that defends their ****ty bevel work all the time that pushed him to the side.
Yep.
LEJ
There's no such thing as a negative arrow. Arrow only +.
Beer Baron
AG
74OA
AG
LewP said:

Full disclosure, I didn't go to Texas A&M in College Station. However, I am an Army veteran of the Big Red One and have always been an Aggie fan since the 70's. Here's my question: I have read threads over the years here on TexaAgs that seem to indicate there is no love for Ol Sarge. Why is that???I think it would be a great marketing image for the school. I think it's a lot more feasible than say a cow with horns (ugh).

I think we need to try and make Ol Sarge popular again. I also think if someone can't like Ol Sarge, they must be from some communist country. Just my 2 cents.

You can always find someone who doesn't like something. With 67K students and over 500K former students, it'd be remarkable if some didn't like the Ol Sarge logo.
IIIHorn
ibtyermomlikesoldsarge
BQCadet
AG
A couple of things

This is the GB. Don't come in here with thin skin or you'll be eaten alive. The goal of 90% of the posters here is to roast anyone that says anything.

To answer your question, the University moved away from the Ol Sarge logo largely because it is not representative of most of the students of A&M. When only cadets could come to A&M and shortly after, Ol Sarge was a logo that most of the student body could identify with. Now that the Corps is such a small percentage of the student body, it doesn't make much sense to have Sarge be a main branding point.

Plus if we are being honest, it's really a pretty crappy drawing. I still see it pop up from time to time though.
ac04
how many socks does this guy have?
Beer Baron
AG
OP's writing style is pretty similar to that alleged "beachbabe" who's been posting lately.
proc
AG
Duncan Idaho
FriscoKid said:

Ol Sarge is cool. Way better than this.

Gay dogs
wbt5845
AG
proc said:

Duncan Idaho
proc said:

This is what I thought the OP was about. I dont know anyone that has an issue with ol s as the on a tshirt, a bumper sticker, whatever you.. the issue was having a sideline mascot. I think we can all agree that aTm's culture isnt really aligned with one that would support a mascot having fun.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.