How come many Aggies don't like Ol Sarge?

14,450 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by The Dog Lord
Hey Nav
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rocket To Russia

Always liked the cover.
Cromagnum
AG
What in the blue hell is this? Did the world really need a an ol Sarge rubber ducky?

FriscoKid
AG
powerbelly said:

LewP said:

RealTalk said:

LewP said:

powerbelly said:

Quote:

I think it's a lot more feasible than say a cow with horns (ugh).

I hope you don't do marketing for a living
I hope you aren't a t.u. troll..
You're not even an Aggie!!!
OK, I rest my case on the Ol Sarge issue......

I succeeded in making my point. While I'm not a "real Aggie" most of you aren't "real veterans", but I didn't throw that in to the conversation. While I love Texas A&M and Ol Sarge, all most of you can do is attack me personally. I think it's pretty evident that while my intent was positive, I get negative arrows slung my way. Have a good day. Hope you sleep well at night.
Unfortunately for you, this isn't a website for "real veterans" so no one really gives a **** about your *****ing.
BleacherRat
Other than the service academies, more folks from Aggieland go to the military than any other school.
Gig 'em!
LupinusTexensis
My favorite Aggie shirt features ol sarge.
EclipseAg
AG
Ol' Sarge is great. Trying to minimize him is a preemptive strike against present-day overreactions.
BenFiasco14
AG
Cromagnum said:

What in the blue hell is this? Did the world really need a an ol Sarge rubber ducky?

Better than the Aggie yell leader ken doll
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Slicer97
AG
The bevel is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Eliminatus
AG
The TAMU of old that bred Ol Sarge is no more. New times, new people, new branding.

It really is as simple as that I promise.

HTH
PoohAh97
AG
As with anything I don't like related to A&M and New Army, I think this is probably the fault of Vision 2020.
The Fife
PoohAh97 said:

As with anything I don't like related to A&M and New Army, I think this is probably the fault of Vision 2020.
As are a lot of things that went on while Bowen was around.
torrid
AG
proc said:

Didn't that experiment last for like one game?
BleacherRat
torrid said:

proc said:

Didn't that experiment last for like one game?
Probably the worst idea for Ol Sarge ever. This "thing" was so gross, it was probably invented by a teasip to persuade Aggies to reject the proud military heritage of the U.S.
Gig 'em!
GarlandAg2012
AG
I think Ol Sarge is a cool image to be used on merch and stuff, but I don't think its a great mascot or primary mark. It's complicated and detailed, and not really specific to A&M. Also, despite our admirable military ties, we aren't a military school.
V8Aggie
AG
Beer Baron said:

OP's writing style is pretty similar to that alleged "beachbabe" who's been posting lately.
So another Barnes sock?
BleacherRat
GarlandAg2012 said:

I think Ol Sarge is a cool image to be used on merch and stuff, but I don't think its a great mascot or primary mark. It's complicated and detailed, and not really specific to A&M. Also, despite our admirable military ties, we aren't a military school.

Good point. So given that, what do you think is a good primary mark for A&M?
Gig 'em!
powerbelly
AG
GarlandAg2012
AG
LewP said:

GarlandAg2012 said:

Good point. So given that, what do you think is a good primary mark for A&M?
That's a good question and one I don't have a great answer to. I like the old AMC intertwined logo, but I get why the university wouldn't want to use AMC to represent AMU.

Other than that I think the non-beveled block aTm is pretty solid. With a mascot like "Aggies" I just don't think we're ever going to have a graphic that is as iconic as the longhorn. That's a pretty high bar though, it's maybe the most iconic logo in college sports.
BleacherRat
powerbelly said:

That's pretty awesome
Gig 'em!
BleacherRat
Gig 'em!
ac04
seems like that one might be difficult to put on hats & t shirts
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
I've never been a real big fan of this version of Ol' Sarge just because I don't think it's that great of a logo:

However, ever since I was a kid I've always thought THIS version of Ol' Sarge was just badass and I hate that we don't use it more.....even into the early 90's he was still pretty common.. To me it's the equivalent of the ND leprechaun...just a perfect logo for the school.

And to further make my point:

BleacherRat
Yelnick McWawa said:

I've never been a real big fan of this version of Ol' Sarge just because I don't think it's that great of a logo:

However, ever since I was a kid I've always thought THIS version of Ol' Sarge was just badass and I hate that we don't use it more.....even into the early 90's he was still pretty common.. To me it's the equivalent of the ND leprechaun...just a perfect logo for the school.

My vote for post of the year!!!! Definately a Blue Star!!
Gig 'em!
The Lurker
AG
Looks like Ol Sarge left and enrolled in SFA

H-town ag
AG
zephyr88
AG
Yelnick McWawa said:

2/10 a little "gummy" for me
concac
AG
LewP said:

Yelnick McWawa said:

My vote for post of the year!!!! Definately a Blue Star!!
Man, you have very low standards.
BBRex
AG
powerbelly said:

You had to fire up the DeLorean to find that logo. That looks right out of the 1970s. I think I saw that sticker in Loupot's bookstore in the early '90s, and it was yellowed with age. And it has a bevel. A modern version where the type was consistent wouldn't be bad, though.
Ag 11
AG
I got a badass Ol' Sarge hitch cover
Ag 11
AG
Ag 11
AG
BleacherRat
Ag 11 said:

You sir, qualified as a badass. I like the ducks too.
Gig 'em!
Cobra39
Great Sarge talk.

I vote Lew.

Cobra39
The Dog Lord
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

That's a good question and one I don't have a great answer to. I like the old AMC intertwined logo, but I get why the university wouldn't want to use AMC to represent AMU.

Other than that I think the non-beveled block aTm is pretty solid. With a mascot like "Aggies" I just don't think we're ever going to have a graphic that is as iconic as the longhorn. That's a pretty high bar though, it's maybe the most iconic logo in college sports.

Unleash him.

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.