So It Begins

7,380 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by GrayMatter
Big Tuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
P.C. Principal said:

HarleySpoon said:

NoahAg said:

HarleySpoon said:

lol......like actual vacation really exists for anyone these days that makes more than twice the minimum wage.
I'm about to go on a 2 week vacation and I make a bit more than minimum wage.

Congratulations if you don't have to read an email or take a call.
F*** the very notion that in today's society you are "expected" to work while on vacation.

I may occasionally check email and respond to something time sensitive while on vacation, but that's it. My time off is my time off. I've played that game of anxiously answering calls and emails while on a trip because "oh no I might upset my boss for actually taking time off." No more. Life is too short.
I agree with everything about this post.

But unfortunately, that just isn't reality for some of us, especially those of us running our own show. I have made it point a to utilize the auto respond on emails this year, but I still check at least three times a day. Because you never know ...
agnerd
AG
aTm2004 said:

agnerd said:

aTm2004 said:

histag10 said:

I have seen teachers with Go Fund Mes set up to help cover the cost of their classroom decor
My wife spent $200 last weekend at Target (had a 15% off if you're a teacher) on supplies for her students for this upcoming year that the district won't cover. It's not decor either.
What happens if she DOESN'T spend her own money on supplies for her students?
She's a Special Ed teacher, so she will still teach her lesson but not be able to do it in a way that can relate to the needs/limitations of her students.
So the DISTRICT isn't providing proper resources for it's special ed students??? I'm sure the state would be very interested in knowing that information since they send more money to districts to educate each special needs kids. If ADA is being violated, Feds will be interested, too. That should solve the problem with unfathomable quickness.
rlb28
AG

Quote:

their job gives them a three month vacay.

let's put it in perspective.... there are 365 days in a year.

summer vacation - 90 days
weekends - 104 days
Christmas, Thanksgiving and Spring Break - 15 days
Various holidays (MLK, Labor Day, etc..) - 5 days
Professional development days (leave at noon to eat with teacher friends) - 5 days
State testing (give out #2 pencils) - 5 days

Work days out of 365 is about 140-145 which equals to about $380/day for a teacher making $55,000/year.

my wife works in a school district. she gripes. teachers gripe. don't say a lot of teachers don't gripe. If they didn't gripe we wouldn't make fun. btw... it's all in good fun!

TequilaMockingbird
Ginormus Ag said:

The only thing my teacher wife is doing is preparing for the daily obscene advances from me when I get home and having to crawl on top of my fat ass and satisfy me nightly.
Teachers don't get paid enough....
jah003
S
rlb28 said:

Quote:

summer vacation - 90 days Try closer to 60
weekends - 104 days
Professional development days (leave at noon to eat with teacher friends) - 5 days I'd much rather teach than do staff development...
State testing (give out #2 pencils) - 5 days If monitoring state testing was the punishment for speeding tickets everyone would be driving the speed limit. I'd trade 5 teaching days for one day of state testing.

Work days out of 365 is about 140-145 which equals to about $380/day for a teacher making $55,000/year. I've been working for 10 years and don't make 55K. Also, you forgot about the ****ty insurance

my wife works in a school district. she gripes. teachers gripe. don't say a lot of teachers don't gripe. If they didn't gripe we wouldn't make fun. btw... it's all in good fun!

FIFY
boy09
AG
jah003 said:

rlb28 said:

Quote:

summer vacation - 90 days Try closer to 60

FIFY
Oh nooooo, only 60?
BenFiasco14
AG
TWO MONTHS off per year?

CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
aTm2004
AG
agnerd said:

aTm2004 said:

agnerd said:

aTm2004 said:

histag10 said:

I have seen teachers with Go Fund Mes set up to help cover the cost of their classroom decor
My wife spent $200 last weekend at Target (had a 15% off if you're a teacher) on supplies for her students for this upcoming year that the district won't cover. It's not decor either.
What happens if she DOESN'T spend her own money on supplies for her students?
She's a Special Ed teacher, so she will still teach her lesson but not be able to do it in a way that can relate to the needs/limitations of her students.
So the DISTRICT isn't providing proper resources for it's special ed students??? I'm sure the state would be very interested in knowing that information since they send more money to districts to educate each special needs kids. If ADA is being violated, Feds will be interested, too. That should solve the problem with unfathomable quickness.

Never said they weren't providing proper resources, so let's not go around putting words in my mouth. Each of her students are unique in that each has a specific issue that she has to plan the lesson to. It's not like a normal student where a lesson plan can be used for every class that week. She also has the same students all day everyday. Also, something small like a change of medications could change how she has to tailor the lesson for that specific student. The district provides resources but not exactly what she believes she needs to be effective. Same concept for all teachers...a broad offering of supplies is what's available but that may not be what's best for every teacher or every student.

It's no different than a private company having you travel and you pay out-of-pocket for an exit row seat.
rlb28
AG

Quote:

Try closer to 60 - our district is 84 days

I've been working for 10 years and don't make 55K. Also, you forgot about the ****ty insurance - $55 for sure. Insurance is decent.
You must be in the wrong district...

P.C. Principal
Big Tuna said:

P.C. Principal said:

HarleySpoon said:

NoahAg said:

HarleySpoon said:

lol......like actual vacation really exists for anyone these days that makes more than twice the minimum wage.
I'm about to go on a 2 week vacation and I make a bit more than minimum wage.

Congratulations if you don't have to read an email or take a call.
F*** the very notion that in today's society you are "expected" to work while on vacation.

I may occasionally check email and respond to something time sensitive while on vacation, but that's it. My time off is my time off. I've played that game of anxiously answering calls and emails while on a trip because "oh no I might upset my boss for actually taking time off." No more. Life is too short.
I agree with everything about this post.

But unfortunately, that just isn't reality for some of us, especially those of us running our own show. I have made it point a to utilize the auto respond on emails this year, but I still check at least three times a day. Because you never know ...

I hear you. It's challenging to make yourself truly disconnect from the world. But it's quite liberating when you do.

Have never run my own biz, so I do understand the "you never know" factor.

I remember a few years ago being at a concert I went out of state for having a blast on a Saturday night and checking my email on my phone twice during the show. My boss at the time would work on weekend nights and send out pissy emails at the same time. I was new and wanted to show I cared and stuff by responding promptly. Ugh. So much anxiety
nai06
AG
rlb28 said:

Quote:

summer vacation - 90 days
weekends - 104 days
Professional development days (leave at noon to eat with teacher friends) - 5 days
State testing (give out #2 pencils) - 5 days

Work days out of 365 is about 140-145 which equals to about $380/day for a teacher making $55,000/year.

contract for a teacher in texas is 187 days which based on your example of $55,000 that works out to about $295 a day.
rlb28
AG
It began today
ClickClack
AG
TxSquarebody said:

AGHouston11 said:

histag10 said:

Don't know if every district does this but all the school supplies YOU BUY FOR YOUR KID is collected and not given back. I guess it's good to get the communism lesson worked in the early years of education now.

I told my son on the first day when he went to 3rd grade that those supplies were his and not to be "turned in" to the class. I let him know that he could explain they were private property and the teacher could purchase them from him if they so desired. It went over as expected, but he got to keep his own things.

Damn you're a badass. You must be friends with slicer.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
lotsofhp
AG
My wife is a special ed teacher also. She never complains about hours and has never spent a dime of our money to supplement what the school gives her. In fact she says she has an abundance of resources and thinks costs could easily be reduced. Maybe there is that much difference between districts?

Every summer I get extremely jealous of her time off. It's a real true vacation. Freedom.

Like everyone is talking about, my phone keeps ringing and emails keep coming in. Even if I completely ignore it while I'm on vacation, it's just piling up for me to deal with when I get back on top of the stuff that will keep coming in when I'm back. The thought of it gives me anxiety while I'm on vacation.

Not her though. When she's off for summer, everything truly stops. Amazing.
GrayMatter
AG
Just think.

Teachers put up with kids who probably have some of your worst/annoying habits.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.