Saying "No" to Request for Recommendation

5,479 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Stat Monitor Repairman
IrishTxAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ok_ag95 said:

IrishTxAggie said:

Tell him to write it and you'll sign it. Win-win.
I've seen this done several times.......have him keep revising if you don't like it. This will make him take a hard look in the mirror.

I've done it a few times. If you can't sell yourself in a referral, why do you think I should or can?
Ginormus Ag
AG
Does he have a sister, wife or girlfriend with nice cans?
Ags4DaWin
Wish him the best but tell him you feel you are incapable of writing him the kind of letter of recommendation he would want associated with his grad school application and tell him you think he would benefit more if someone else wrote it for him.

If he insists be honest in the letter.
74OA
AG
PanzerAggie06 said:

Anyone have any experience with saying "no" to a person that has requested a letter of recommendation?

A former Soldier of mine has asked for a LOR for his grad school application. The problem is that while he was a good guy personality wise and was intelligent I found him to be somewhat lazy, unmotivated, and an overall poor Soldier. Part of me just says write the damn letter...its just grad school. However, my "it's the principle of the matter" gene has kicked in and I'm having a hard time convincing myself to do it.

Anyone ever told someone to pound sand when they asked for a LOR? Looking for diplomatic ways out of this.
There's no upside to this situation. He's a former soldier because he apparently wasn't much good at it, but might well be a good student.

I guess my perspective is that since you've said he's otherwise a good guy and he put his ass on the line in uniform--something the vast majority of his peers would never do--perhaps lending a little support to kickstart his return to civilian life isn't such a moral reach.
Post removed:
by user
bagger05
AG
Write a really awesome letter but in crayon. Or blood.
NavyAg22
I wrote one six months ago for a very good sailor. I was happy to do so, because he exhibited plenty of traits a future employer would look for. I would not have taken the time to do so if not. If the guy is crap, tell him that you don't feel comfortable.
PoohAh97
AG
CastleRock said:

Sounds like you may (validly) still be holding on to some resentment for his conduct under your supervision. However, a true leader would examine his own shortcomings.

Caveat: I'm not, never was military, and I'm not management.

That part is a cop out. Even in the civilian world, superiors can only spend so much time trying to get *adults* to do better work. Yeah, our OP (I'm guessing Colonel or higher?) could probably get this adult (I'm guessing 1Lt?) to be a better soldier. Tell him what additional steps he could take to improve, maybe drop by and give him some encouragement, that little bit of extra attention.

But he's probably got a few dozen other people that are already that motivated, or at least motivated enough so as not to cause him extra work. If I had to guess, guys like this come through every couple of years, do the minimum, and pop out. Why invest?
PanzerAggie06
AG
CastleRock said:

Sounds like you may (validly) still be holding on to some resentment for his conduct under your supervision. However, a true leader would examine his own shortcomings.

Thanks for the insight into my personal psyche in regards to evaluating my own shortcomings. F******g really? You garnered that little tidbit of wisdom from my hesitation to write a single letter of recommendation? I know Texags loves to stretch a single thought/comment into something it is absolutely not but your comment is ridiculous by even Texags standards.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
PoohAh97 said:

CastleRock said:

Caveat: I'm not, never was military, and I'm not management.

That part is a cop out. Even in the civilian world, superiors can only spend so much time trying to get *adults* to do better work. Yeah, our OP (I'm guessing Colonel or higher?) could probably get this adult (I'm guessing 1Lt?) to be a better soldier. Tell him what additional steps he could take to improve, maybe drop by and give him some encouragement, that little bit of extra attention.

But he's probably got a few dozen other people that are already that motivated, or at least motivated enough so as not to cause him extra work. If I had to guess, guys like this come through every couple of years, do the minimum, and pop out. Why invest?
OP appears to be class of '06. That would likely be a Major or whatever corresponding O-4.

For OP's sake, the guy might not have been that much of a soldier but will probably do well at other things.

If OP doesn't write the letter, tell him any of (1) I don't have time, (2) I'm not the best person to write the letter, or (3) I'm banging your wife and I'll probably be attaching photos.

Or just suck it up, write a solid letter, and when OP separates from the military, he can ask the guy for a cushy job as a consultant to his private equity firm's portfolio companies.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
If you don't give him the lor then you are the kinda guy who doesn't place his unit crest under the dude's bed while banging his wife while he is deployed.
King moto moto
AG
Bismarck said:

He sounds motivated to go to Grad school. Perhaps the military just wasn't for him. As for being lazy, he'll still have to do the work if he's accepted to a program. He'll either sink or swim. If he saddles himself with a lot of debt and fails, that's on him. You aren't recommending him for a job.
Damn, A legit, thoughtful answer on GB.

Blue Star for you.
Ol Army 01 Post Boobs
Your letter won't really make much of a difference. His "on paper" work experience and gmat will drive 80% of the decision and his essays the balance.
OriolePete
Give him a great LOR but use Walmart for your letterhead. Win/win/win
corkscrewduck
He can probably go to many different people for this but came to you because he respects you. Dont be an ass
Stat Monitor Repairman
Did y'all deploy together? Since y'all both are (presumably) back in one piece, Id write him a good letter on that account.

The Army ain't for everybody but the dude gets some credit in my book for showing up.

Either way as others have pointed out, dude could be the next ceo of BAE Systems or some ****. What goes around comes around.

It's for grad school not OCS or the academy.

AgShaun00
AG
PanzerAggie06 said:

As I said.....the dude is pretty damn smart. He is actually applying to some of the big name MBA programs. And I imagine he'll get in. He has an undergrad from Yale. It's shocking to think the could be graduating from one of the top 5 MBA programs in a few years and start pulling in offers starting in the 150K-175K range.
maybe he was lazy because he was not challenged. He didn't know how to work hard because he didn't have to and now he might be challenged and be a value.
aggie_fan13
AG
In
texan12
That could be true. I can't see Ivy Leaguers well suited for the military anyway. Plenty of perceived dirt bags in the military arent stupid, they just can't conform and get a grasp on the military lifestyle.
Stat Monitor Repairman
I think a lot of folks like that get tired of being micromanaged and sort of check out and start planning for the future.

It's not that they are unmotivated or stupid it's that the simply run out of give-a-****.

Which can be dangerous but it is what it is.
E
AG
Sounds like he was lazy and unmotivated becuase his future as a soldier was being a soldier. He realizes that he has a path elsewhere where he wouldn't be lazy and unmotivated. If he truly is as intelligent as you say and can get in an Ivy League type school, he doesn't want to use his talents being a soldier.

You as a leader should also recognize that.

Just write it and wish him good luck. Put your personal grudges aside.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Future as in what he's gonna do when he gets out the army with that GI bill money. Pretty common IME.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.