14-Year-Old Is Charged With Murder After Egg Prank and Fatal Crash

9,303 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Dark Helmet
combat wombat™
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wtf difference does that make? Here's an idea, don't road rage. Unless someone fled the scene of an accident I really don't see any reason to chase someone in traffic.
Sticks&Stones
AG
nai06 said:

Murder seems a little ridiculous if not grandstanding by the sheriff's office.

I mean I can't imagine they can prove he intended to kill someone and I'm not sure what other felony he would be guilty of when this occurred. Also he is 14. A stupid kid for sure but still a kid. Add in that a man was chasing him with a gun and I don't see how this doesn't get reduced.

This...murder requires proof of intent to kill.

Manslaughter with a Deadly Weapon is more fitting
Ragoo
AG
The murder charge is piggy backed on the felony theft charge. Killing someone while In the act of committing a felony is considered murder.
ac04
i was actually in a situation similar to this about 10 years ago after some kids shot my car with a paintball gun at a stoplight. they had no chance of getting away from me due to what each of us were driving, and i was raging pretty hard for a couple of minutes of following them. fortunately i came to my senses and let them go, but i'm thankful this was before i carried in the car because i was 25 and overdosing on adrenaline/anger/horsepower. and i had never experienced any kind of road rage prior to this, and i don't think i have since.

not attempting to excuse the guy chasing after them because it's extremely stupid and dangerous, but rather saying i understand why it happened.
dds08
AG
All this reminds me of a prank my A&M roommate told me about in 2011. He said some of his high school buddies went to a pay phone and made a bomb threat to a school nearby. Unbeknownst to them, somebody saw them and ID'd them.

They got into some deep doo-doo. I think it's a federal offense.

He said he runs into them occasionally when he goes home.

They smile, laugh and wallow in the regret...... If only..... They were such promising kids.

People.
Ag_N_Houston
AG
If the parents would hide the keys and the kid would look for them and take them...he knew he shouldn't be doing it.

The mother thinks "the law is suposed to start when you're older" - so, you should be able to do whatever you want and just say Oops! until you are an adult? He's 14. He knows right from wrong. In Texas, you can be arrested starting at age 10.

What did he think was going to happen when he threw eggs at cars? Did he think the other drivers were going to think it was funny? He knew he was doing something that had the possibility of provoking a negative response - chances are that is what he wanted. Now, he claims there was a gun, but there has not been any proof of that yet. I don't feel bad for the 14 year old at all.
Jackal99
AG
From the linked article:

Quote:

The mother of the teen being charged said her family hid the car keys, but her son got them while she was at church.
She places blame on the driver who was chasing the SUV driven by her son.
"That man is free, but they're treating my kid like he provoked the accident," the mom said.
Uhm...
752bro4
AG
Murder was the case that they gave me
Not a Bot
AG
Mistake number one was taking the car out.

Mistake number 2 was throwing eggs at cars.

Mistake number 3 was choice of target...he threw eggs at a blinged-out Lincoln tank with giant aftermarket chrome wheels. What are the odds that dude *wasn't* packing?

In Texas, if a death results during the commission of another felony, it can be considered murder. That being said, this kid is 14 years old and had absolutely no intent to kill anybody that day, I would hope he's tried as a juvenile and has a chance at a somewhat normal life after 18.

JJxvi
AG
How often would a 14 year old actually be charged with a felony if they drove off with Dad's car? Basically just this once to make it a murder charge? Every time? Depends how much money and their race?

Also if he was 16 and had a license that would apparently make the exact same stupid crime "not murder?" Him being younger makes the penalty more severe in this case.
JJxvi
AG
Does it also mean that if you borrow, say your brother-in-law's truck, and accidentally kill somebody and your license is expired that you actually stole a truck and committed murder?
DevilD77
AG
Should definitely be serious consequences for the 14 year old and for those in the car with him, but murder is way to extreme. Also, the idiot who chased them should be charged with reckless endangerment.
permabull
AG
nai06
AG
Ragoo said:

The murder charge is piggy backed on the felony theft charge. Killing someone while In the act of committing a felony is considered murder.

Correct. I hadn't read that he stole the car initially. I still have a hard time believing that the murder charge will stick.
Slicer97
AG
Cactus Jack said:

and had absolutely no intent to kill anybody that day

Neither does the drunk person that decides to get on the road and drive.

This kid was doing something he damn well knew he wasn't supposed to be doing and someone died because of it. Throw the book at him.
Woody2006
AG
As long as they don't prosecute him as an adult, I don't have a problem with it. Not like the kid is gonna do life in jail if convicted as child.

****ty situation all around. Whoever the guy was flashing his gun at children in a car is a piece of **** and deserves to bear a significant portion of responsibility here.
IIIHorn
Free range eggs?
The Lost
I mean couldn't the driver had been following the kid to talk to his parents? Obviously the smart thing to do would be take the plates and call the cops and leave it at that, but the kid probably freaked out.

The worst part is the family with a death. Thats about as wrong place, wrong time unintentionally as it gets.
PatAg
AG
The Lost said:

I mean couldn't the driver had been following the kid to talk to his parents? Obviously the smart thing to do would be take the plates and call the cops and leave it at that, but the kid probably freaked out.

The worst part is the family with a death. Thats about as wrong place, wrong time unintentionally as it gets.

You don't take part in a high speed chase to calmly talk to someone's parents. The driver chasing is just as culpable in my mind. I would imagine this kid ends up in some sort of juvenile program for 2-3 years with manslaughter
Picadillo
Would be no surprise if the role of the gun in this story has been exaggerated by the news media
Not a Bot
AG
Slicer97 said:

Cactus Jack said:

and had absolutely no intent to kill anybody that day

Neither does the drunk person that decides to get on the road and drive.

This kid was doing something he damn well knew he wasn't supposed to be doing and someone died because of it. Throw the book at him.

They generally don't charge drunk drivers with murder. They typically charge them with manslaughter.
Slicer97
AG
So charge him with manslaughter then. Regardless of intentions, his dumbassery led to the death of an innocent. Doesn't mean **** that he's not an adult; he f'n knew better than to do what he did.
Gil Renard
AG
What about eggs
. . .

Quote:

https://www.click2houston.com/news/driver-accused-of-chasing-teen-who-caused-deadly-crash-indicted

Christopher Lopez, 48, was indicted on the charges of manslaughter, failure to stop and render aid and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon in connection with the crash at Aldine Mail Route and Aldine Westfield Road.

"He pulled out a firearm. He fired shots at these kids. He chased them, getting to speeds of 100 miles an hour. He ran red lights with these kids. He is directly responsible for this woman dying," said Sean Teare, Assistant Harris County district attorney.

Prosecutors said witnesses saw Lopez flee the scene and run another red light before they lost sight of him.

Lopez hasn't given deputies a statement, according to prosecutors.

A warrant has been issued for Lopez's arrest. He faces up to 20 years in prison if convicted.
Big Tuna
. . . said:

Quote:

https://www.click2houston.com/news/driver-accused-of-chasing-teen-who-caused-deadly-crash-indicted

Christopher Lopez, 48, was indicted on the charges of manslaughter, failure to stop and render aid and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon in connection with the crash at Aldine Mail Route and Aldine Westfield Road.

"He pulled out a firearm. He fired shots at these kids. He chased them, getting to speeds of 100 miles an hour. He ran red lights with these kids. He is directly responsible for this woman dying," said Sean Teare, Assistant Harris County district attorney.

Prosecutors said witnesses saw Lopez flee the scene and run another red light before they lost sight of him.

A warrant has been issued for Lopez's arrest. He faces up to 20 years in prison if convicted.

Right move.

And not only was "brandishing a fireman" not made up, this dip**** attempted to murder high school kids with said firearm because of minor personal property damage.
JP76
Big Tuna said:

. . . said:

Quote:

Right move.

And not only was "brandishing a fireman" not made up, this dip**** attempted to murder high school kids with said firearm because of minor personal property damage.

Had it been dark I believe he would be found not guilty. But being mid afternoon screws his defense.
Ag for Life
AG
Lots of crow needs to be served on this thread
APHIS AG
Cactus Jack said:

https://m.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/14-year-old-driver-who-caused-fatal-New-Year-s-13502912.php

Quote:

Sean Teare, who leads the Harris County District Attorney's Office's Vehicular Crimes Division, said the driver who chased after the teen could face a felony charge of failure to stop and render aid to the woman who died in the wreck.

"I believe enough evidence exists to present that to a grand jury," Teare said.

The victim in the wreck, Zavala, was "the only person who was doing nothing wrong," the prosecutor said.

Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez previously said that Zavala had been shopping prior to the crash.

The other minors in the car haven't been charged. The teen was charged with murder because he was allegedly committing a state jail felony of unauthorized use of a vehicle, causing the deadly crash, said Harris County Sheriff's Office spokesman Deputy Thomas Gilliland.

If she was dead, their was very little "rendering aid" to be done.
The Fife
Big Tuna said:

Right move.

Please explain how one can brandish a fireman. They seem a little large for this.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
The Fife said:

Big Tuna said:

Right move.

Please explain how one can brandish a fireman. They seem a little large for this.

Aggie
AG
The mother's story reads as a typical.. " my son is a good kid from a good family " card

He made the choice to drive illegally , made the choice to throw eggs at other vehicles in traffic.
An innocent 45 year old woman lost her life due to this kids reckless behavior.
I have zero problem charging him with murder.

Those of you who say it's too harsh.. if your loved one was killed by this kid, would you still feel it's too harsh a penalty.

95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

If she was dead, their was very little "rendering aid" to be done.
You just don't abandon a dead person on the side of a road.
Joe Exotic
AG
Aggie said:

The mother's story reads as a typical.. " my son is a good kid from a good family " card

He made the choice to drive illegally , made the choice to throw eggs at other vehicles in traffic.

Those of you who say it's too harsh.. if your loved one was killed by this kid, would you still feel it's too harsh a penalty.

I hope I would. I hate that thought that emotion will make me abandon intellectual thought and reason. I like to think I have a better mental makeup than that.
FIDO*98*
AG
I have no problem with the Murder charge. He should, however, be tried as a Juvenile and not as an Adult
PatAg
AG
Aggie said:

If your son took your car and all this happened, would you push for him to get a murder charge?
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.