14-Year-Old Is Charged With Murder After Egg Prank and Fatal Crash

9,271 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Dark Helmet
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AGnCS said:

Quote:

If she was dead, their was very little "rendering aid" to be done.
You just don't abandon a dead person on the side of a road.

Abandon implies he was helping her, and then left (which, unless he's a medical professional, he has a right to do).

He didn't abandon her, and he certainly didn't know she was dead.

Pepper Brooks
AG
I don't blame the parent for wanting leniency. My first reaction, if it were my kid, would be to ask for the same as well in this situation. He deserves to serve jail time but I don't think a murder charge is appropriate.

I'd say 20 years is appropriate for the adult in this situation.
FatZilla
AG
Cactus Jack said:

In Texas, if a death results during the commission of another felony, it can be considered murder. That being said, this kid is 14 years old and had absolutely no intent to kill anybody that day, I would hope he's tried as a juvenile and has a chance at a somewhat normal life after 18.

The ole HRC defense. They didn't "mean" to do it. You stole a car and killed someone. Their life ended that day, so does your freedom.
Not a Bot
AG
I didn't say don't charge him, I said charge him as a juvenile.

He acted recklessly and caused the death of another person. That's manslaughter.

Murder, in my opinion, should be reserved for people who intentionally cause death. I realize that, in Texas, if you commit a felony and a death occurs as a result of that felony, they *can* charge you with murder, I just don't think they *should* in this case. That law wasn't designed for kids throwing eggs while joyriding in their dad's car. The spirit of that law is geared toward circumstances like a guy committing an armed robbery and the gun accidentally firing.

I don't think this case, considering the circumstances, should be charged that way.
Not a Bot
AG
This doesn't seem helpful to his case.

https://m.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Indicted-road-rage-driver-among-car-club-members-13544169.php
. . .
Egg-throwing teen gets one year probation
Quote:

A teenager charged with murder after his egg-throwing prank ended in a deadly crash has struck a deal with prosecutors, according to a source with knowledge of the case.

The 14-year-old pleaded guilty to unauthorized use of a vehicle and will serve one-year probation according to the source.

The Harris County District Attorney's Office would not provide any information on the deal, citing juvenile privacy laws.

"I believe a fair and just resolution was made given the difficult circumstances for all parties involved. This was a tragedy and that was never lost on me or my client," said Renee Thomason, who represents the boy.
Not a Bot
AG
As much as I didn't think he should be charged with murder, that outcome seems light. Obviously the prosecutors have all the information. Hopefully the family of the victim was consulted on this.
Stat Monitor Repairman

Dark Helmet
The moral of the story is that the kid should've had a gun and when homeboy got egg on his face and went for his piece the kid should've gunned him down where he stood.

Some of you will think I'm joking and making a snide remark about gun control (I call it fun control), I am not. Don't pull it out unless you're gonna use it. I would not have a problem if a gaggle of rowdy teenage boys killed a man that drew on them after a prank.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.