Knocking on door at 3am

6,908 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by rshackelford
Kadi_the_lady
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I live in the woodway village area near John Crompton park and last night at 3am, someone repeatedly knocked on my door. The knocking lasted a few minutes before I finally got up to peek outside. By the time I found a window that wasn't foggy whoever it was had already left. Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know if there are reports of break ins where the perpetrator knocked first? I'm pretty well armed and a light sleeper so I'm not too worried if someone breaks in, but I thought I'd see if this was a known issue around here.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Botham Jean experienced that.
Aston04
AG
I'd upgrade your security asap (video, etc--- honestly basically anyone with means should have it). Even if armed, I wouldn't open my door late night like that (you made a good call).
fta09
AG
I don't open my door in the middle of the day for someone I do not know or expect. No way would I open it at 3 am.
GigEmBevo
Check the Next door app and see if you have neighbors posting anything.
Kadi_the_lady
Yeah, I definitely won't be opening the door.
Kadi_the_lady
My first errand for the day is to go pick up security cameras.
AliasMan02
AG
Had something similar to this happen when we were first married and living in Dallas. Sitting on the couch around 9 or 10 at night, we hear the door handle try to turn. It was locked. Then the guy knocks. I don't open but ask who it is and he says he was selling magazines (or something like that). After he left, I checked with my neighbors and he tried it there as well.

Dude was obviously just looking for a quick grab and dash, had he found the door unlocked or had we been dumb enough to open.
Seriously77
Report it to the police

Could be useful information for them.

swc93
AG
Junkhead said:

Botham Jean experienced that.

Holy **** too soon!

lmao
Kadi_the_lady
Edit: replied to the wrong comment lol
quanah
It's probably a cop trying to get into the wrong apartment. They tend to struggle with simple everyday tasks. Don't open the door or they will shoot you, mistaking your apartment for theirs.
FriendlyAg
Could also be a drunk thinking they are at their house. I have done this by accident before.
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
Rip Torn?
The Fife
Shoot them in the nuts through the door! [/Outdoors Board]
bmks270
AG
Either a crazy emergency or much more likely to be someone planning to con or rob you.

If you get a knock at a weird time, don't open the door. Ask them if they need you to call the police this because it covers emergencies and criminals.

"Do you need me to call the police for you?!"

Either way, it probabaly doesn't hurt to call the cops and report someone wandering the neighborhood at 3 AM looking for help or looking to rob people. Let the cops provide the help, they are there to "protect and serve" after all.

Having seen the videos of people pretending to need help then a bunch of thugs ambushing the home owner, I wouldn't ever open the door. I'd tell them I will dial 911 for them if they need help for an emergency, then maybe open the door only after dialing. Chances are high they will say no and scram.

There was a case I know of late at night a girl went missing in a lake, and the others with her didn't have phones or they were dead or something, so they had to knock on doors to get someone to call for help. And then also the girl recently running around with shackles on her arms who escaped being held prisoner.

So, offer to call 911 before you open the door to protect yourself from the much more likely criminals.
Old Tom Morris
I don't open the door for people I don't know. 24/7. During the day, they want to sell you ***** If someone needs help, I'll call 911 for them.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Flip the safety off your glock.
quanah
brs4688 said:

Flip the safety off your glock.

Glocks don't have safeties
Old Tom Morris
Thomas Ford 91
AG
Booty Knock
Poke_the_Bear
AG
I dont open the door for most people I do know
SchizoAg
AG
Kadi_the_lady said:

I live in the woodway village area near John Crompton park and last night at 3am, someone repeatedly knocked on my door. The knocking lasted a few minutes before I finally got up to peek outside. By the time I found a window that wasn't foggy whoever it was had already left. Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know if there are reports of break ins where the perpetrator knocked first? I'm pretty well armed and a light sleeper so I'm not too worried if someone breaks in, but I thought I'd see if this was a known issue around here.
I walk my dog at 2 AM. When people leave their garage doors open, I knock on their door and wake them up. They are often freaked out (especially women) but always grateful. We've had thefts recently in the neighborhood from garages left open.

Edit: I would recommend you not open the door. I can convey the needed info through a closed door without you taking the risk.
test sig
Old Tom Morris
i just take an expensive power tool and rhey learn not to do that again. Better to teach a man to fish, etc
Biz Ag
AG
Who knocks on a door at 3 a.m.?

Is your doorbell broken?
Serious Lee
did anybody actually call the game "ding dong ditch" instead of the not-so-PC name?
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Yes. I know. There was a previous thread about a similar topic. Someone posted that they flipped the safety off their glock.
HarveyBirdman
AG
It was Jesus. Good luck with the whole eternity thing now!
Kentucky Mustangs
Kadi_the_lady said:

The knocking lasted a few minutes before I finally got up to peek outside. By the time I found a window that wasn't foggy whoever it was had already left. Has anyone else experienced this?
Edgar Allen Poe?
gigemags-99
AG
Dear penthouse forum...
Ragoo
AG
Come on knock on my door....
Goose
AG
Burglars aren't interested in a confrontation so they'll go ahead and knock or ring the doorbell to see if anyone's home (and/or if it causes any dogs to bark/etc.). If somebody answers, they'll throw out a prefabbed excuse of trying to find some made up friend, or that they need gas money, or some other seemingly reasonable excuse for them to be there. Just start flipping on lights as you make your way to the door and they'll realize pretty quick that it's excuse time, not steal stuff opportunity time, and they'll move on down the road. then call 911 and tell them what happened.
Kentucky Mustangs
Last time I knock on your door.

Bayside Tiger Ag
Kentucky 'stangs is back!
Fonzie Scheme
AG
You people are too concerned about playing Username Swapoff. How have we gotten this far without asking for a Rule 1 from OP?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.