General
Sponsored by

Did you redshirt your kids in school?

15,005 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 22 days ago by Ragoo
DallasAggie97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For those of you with kids that have summer birthdays, did you redshirt them?

Were you redshirted as a kid? If so, are you happy that you were redshirted?

If you have a summer birthday and your parents didn't redshirt you, do you wish that you were redshirted?

Thanks for the responses, Ags.
combat wombat™
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Summer birthday and 7 weeks premature. Hell yes I redshirted them. It was a very good move and I don't regret it.
DallasAggie97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Did your kids even realize it at the time? How did you do it? I hear that some people to a primer (sp?) year.
jokershady
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hell yes!

Got 2 boys with August birthdays. Hold em back that year and don't even think twice about it
DallasAggie97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Did you have them repeat kinder? Did you do it at the same school?
jokershady
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DallasAggie97 said:

Did you have them repeat kinder? Did you do it at the same school?
No we made that call long before Kindergarten was up. We had them in a Mother's Day out program and switched their classes when they were 2 or 3 years old.

If your kid has already gone through kindergarten once that's probably gonna be harder
Slicer97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think this year they can participate in up to 4 weeks without losing any eligibility. Not a bad idea to let them get their feet wet early and see what they're all about.
Cromagnum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pro: 1 year sooner that the kid is off your checkbook.

Con: Your kid is gonna be the one picked on for being small.
combat wombat™
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The school had an"bridge" class between preschool and kindergarten. They called it Bridge. That's what we did. It was a different School than the preschool so they did not notice or at least it wasn't a big deal.
DallasAggie97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are thinking of kinder in one district, then changing for the second year.

Has anyone done this? They were previously in PK3 & PK4. August birthday.
Post removed:
by user
Ragoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I wish I could hold back my kids born in early November. They will still be old as is.

Sept 5th bday so I was nearly 7 when I started school.
Senator Blutarski
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was late July, and did not redshirt. I didn't think it hurt me at the time, but looking back, I wish they had.

I have two boys, born May and June, and we redshirted both. Our kids go to a private school, and their guidance: if it's a boy, born May or later, we'd prefer you redshirt. If it's a girl, you're probably OK. Their reasoning has nothing to do with sports, and all about development.

Read Outliers, then make a decision.
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
One of the other boys on my sons LL baseball team was redshirted. In the 4th grade. His parents purposefully held him back in the 4th. Kid had all A's and got held back purposefully for sports. He ended up getting a schollie to a 4 year school in baseball.
gigemags-99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Boys hold back. Girls, don't worry about it.
DallasAggie97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Boy & girl twins.
ORAggieFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Daughter, bday was yesterday. She's the youngest in her class. Hard to tell if right move. She's above avg academically, but not at the top like her younger brother (March). But, she's not struggling at anything and do like the kids two grades apart instead of one.
redd38
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I did the opposite, moved up a year.
TJJackson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My birthday is August 31st, started kindergarten I was still 4 years old. Graduated at 17.
combat wombat™
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's a tough call. We held back boy twins. It might have been a different decision if it had been boy-girl twins.
Ragoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
leakypipes said:

My birthday is August 31st, started kindergarten I was still 4 years old. Graduated at 17.
perfect example for the redshirt
TJJackson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Agreed, there were guys and gals I graduated a year ahead that were older than me. I was the youngest in my grade.
Michael Cera Palin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a June birthday and my parents didn't "redshirt" me. It was frustrating in high school playing football with kids in the grade below me that were actually older, and was again kind of annoying in College when I was the last of my friends to turn 21.

I knew kids whose parents redshirted them strictly for sports and none of them ended up receiving scholarships for athletics. I found that the parents who did that sort of thing were so overbearing that their kids ended up resenting the sports and didn't want to play anymore by high school (not trying to make assumptions as to why you're considering it). Definitely wouldn't recommend holding them back if they've already done kindergarten because it'll confuse the hell out of them why they have to start over while their friends moved on.
TyHolden
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The school asked to redshirt me because there were too many girls in the k-class. I killed my k-class aptitude test and skipped first grade to catch up to them in second though. Determination. Domination.
DallasAggie97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Definitively not for sports. They're absolutely good academically, but my boy is behind his sister emotionally.


My thinking is that they'll still be 18 when they graduate. We went to register them for kinder and met a couple whose boy-girl twins turned 6 in July. My twins are still 4.
riverrataggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Graduated at 17. Daughter won't be held back either.
Ulrich
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just checking in to let everyone know that I was very very smart in school.
combat wombat™
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If your twins are still four I would 100% red-shirt them. Our decision to Redshirt them had zero to do a sport and a hundred percent with emotional and developmental maturity.
Michael Cera Palin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Personally I don't think it matters much other than those first couple of years. No one knows your family better than you and your spouse so I'd say just go with your gut.

Only other time it really becomes an issue is getting a drivers license. Difference between your child driving their friends, or being in the passenger seat that first year.
AgShaun00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Son born july 28, redshirted. Just turned 12 and right decision on maturity. Still immature as one of the oldest
jetch17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Redshirting the boy this year
jokershady
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
redd38 said:

I did the opposite, moved up a year.
Jaspers Ghost
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jokershady said:

Hell yes!

Got 2 boys with August birthdays. Hold em back that year and don't even think twice about it


Redshirting is a ******bag Metroplex epidemic dominated by Dads Club Baseball asshats and strung out housewives destined to **** the tennis pro.
Fleen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
combat wombat said:

If your twins are still four I would 100% red-shirt them. Our decision to Redshirt them had zero to do a sport and a hundred percent with emotional and developmental maturity.


This, as a first grade teacher, this is very much worth considering.
combat wombat™
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Let me add, this doesn't mean that they aren't ready for kindergarten from an intelligence standpoint. An intelligent child may still not be emotionally or developmentally prepared to sit still in class and follow the teacher's instructions . Again, the decision really should be based on the child emotional and developmental maturity. Our kids were all evaluated before entering kindergarten - they were given the Gessell test by a qualified individual to help determine what their developmental maturity was. This was a very helpful tool in deciding whether to redshirt them. Perhaps you can find someone in your area who can administer that test?
Last Page
Page 1 of 3 ▼
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.