Work place goof ups - what are the biggest ones?

15,367 Views | 106 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Builder93
BombayAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
1. A guy at work was giving us a demo through Webex and had to go find a file in his directory so clicked and we saw all his resumes, job applications with dates (current week) in there. He quickly switched out.

2. An SVP was giving us a presentation on something and a message pops up on the big screen about his fight with an employee sales guy who was demanding more money and the sales guy was putting out a number he wanted to be paid which everyone saw.

3. Conference call with another team and this guy cusses out the guy on the line but had forgotten to shut the phone off. the other guy complained to the senior management and this guy's manager had a hard time bailing him out.

CDUB98
AG
stop posting
riverrataggie
AG
People using instant messenger while sharing screens is the best.
Post removed:
by user
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Video conference. Screen switches to your camera and makes you largest on screen whenever you start speaking. One lady thought she was on mute. Ripped a nasty wet fart and of course she popped up big on the screen and everyone knew what happened. Wow.
HBCanine08
AG
Not mine, but a coworker's and it screwed things up.

I was negotiating a contract dispute settlement with a former client's general counsel to prevent filing a lawsuit, and he shot back a number that wasn't what we wanted, but it wasn't unreasonable either. My coworker (an accountant) who was copied on the email hit "Reply All" and said something along the lines of "What a ***tty offer. He must think we are stupid."

Now, I am in the process of finding an expert witness for trial.

One of the many, many reasons I have been looking to get out of this place.
riverrataggie
AG
Our company installed a capability on our email that if sending to external domain, it asks you if you are sure you want to send to these following people. Solves this very thing as we had lots of people doing the same.
Swarely
I like your scammer story you told me about yesterday better.
HBCanine08
AG
It be nice to get that in place here, but there's a very strong resistance to change (on anything) and anything that may be a "burden", no matter what size.
BQZip01
AG
I think accidentally flying nuclear weapons across the country is pretty big...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_United_States_Air_Force_nuclear_weapons_incident
HBCanine08
AG
It involved that same accountant, too, and another one from a different business unit. For those wondering, each was scammed via e-mail into wiring a large amount of money to a European country (in which he have NO operations) because the e-mail had an executive's name on it requesting the wire transfer. Neither one asked for an invoice nor did they seek approval from their direct supervisor in Houston to wire the money.

And on top of that, said executive was placing the entire blame on the Houston office.
riverrataggie
AG
Kodak not believing in the digital photo was a big one as well.
HBCanine08
AG
Reminds me of Blockbuster telling Redbox to f off when they couldve bought them.
Swarely
For the amounts you told me I've decided to eff off my job and become a full time scammer.
PlanoAg98
AG
These guys settling for a dollar amount rather than a % of the company.

HBCanine08
AG
Well, I know of a few suckers you could e-mail right away.
The Wonderer
AG
HBCanine08 said:

Reminds me of Blockbuster telling Redbox to f off when they couldve bought them.
That was Netflix, wasn't it?
BombayAg
riverrataggie said:

People using instant messenger while sharing screens is the best.

Another demo I sat through and an older lady finished and didn't stop sharing her screen and began to talk to her coworker beeching about other coworkers.
Everyone slowly dropped out and I was the only one on and I watched for some time and then told her that she was sharingher screen!
Beer Baron
AG
SO was on a conference call with a bunch of people awhile back and someone said they could "n-word rig" a solution to whatever problem they were having, followed by the most awkward 10-second silence ever.
94DallasAG
AG
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
I've seen several accidental "reply to all" or "reply to list serve" goofs... you'd think in today's world people would be able to avoid that one
The Wonderer
AG
Beer Baron said:

SO was on a conference call with a bunch of people awhile back and someone said they could "n-word rig" a solution to whatever problem they were having, followed by the most awkward 10-second silence ever.
So nobody...hung up?
HBCanine08
AG
Yeah, you're right.
riverrataggie
AG
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

I've seen several accidental "reply to all" or "reply to list serve" goofs... you'd think in today's world people would be able to avoid that one

Please stop replying to all. Please remove me from this distribution list.

Worst case is one morning I woke up to 1500 unread emails on my phone all saying this and others complaining about people replying to all.
Human
AG
Some guy two weeks ago in California couldn't figure out how to run the clock down when the team was ahead by a very, very large margin - this guy gets paid millions to manage the game.
YellAgs
AG
just keep bringing the pain back
proc
AG
I remember when our Director of Probation got busted/arrested/fired for taking female probationers to bang. On a dirty mattress. On the floor of the old abandoned jail across the street.
elfurioso92
AG
We were in an integration meeting after the company I worked for was purchased. Most of us were in a conference room while the executives from the purchasing company were on a conference call line, but one of our VP's was out of the country and had to call in on his cell phone. At the end of the meeting without checking to see if the other guys had ended the call, he launches into a rant that went on for about a minute and a half complaining about the stupidity of the integration plan and how these new corporate overlords were dumb-asses who didn't understand our business. At first someone tried to interrupt him, but he was on a roll and wouldn't stop talking. Once he finally stopped one of the corporate guys said "We're going to go ahead and end this call, I'll call you back personally in a few minutes." He was gone the next day.
SidetrackAg
AG
proc said:

I remember when our Director of Probation got busted/arrested/fired for taking female probationers to bang. On a dirty mattress. On the floor of the old abandoned jail across the street.

Go on....
bigblock
Way back working part time at JC Penney's while in highschool, one of my buds thought the intercom in the stock room was ONLY for the stock room. He decided to play some very loud death metal (Entombed) in the stock room. Nope. The whole store was treated to about 45 seconds of awesomeness. During the Christmas season. The music went from Andy Williams' "Most Wonderful Time of the Year" to death grunts and growls. And it was really loud. Customers scattering and me throwing the horns. Good times.
MouthBQ98
AG
Those guys at BP that got in a hurry to complete a cement job...

On a lighter note, some rig hands and a crane operator at a company I worked for decided to remake the wrecking ball video swinging naked on the headache weight on the stinger line, with hard hat and boots and other PPE on, then post it online.

Or.

I was working at the TAMU network center back in school taking tech support calls, and they had some guys working on the backup power system for all the TAMU university system centralized computing resources in that building, including many university and state government systems, and even a few nationwide resources. Well, they get a ladder out to reach something and lean it right on the main power breaker switch while the backup is offline, and click, the entire network and all the mainframes and supercomputing and storage resources in the building go down.

Then the phones lit up like a Christmas tree.
Tatem
i thought bombay owned a gas station
NoahAg
I was working for a data/tech company back in the day, getting our systems ready for Y2K, working out bugs, etc. Got fed up with the mundane tediousness of that career. Coworkers and I implemented a program to siphon of fractions of pennies from the company's transactions. It worked TOO well, b/c my idiot buddy who coded the program put a decimal in the wrong place. Instantly, millions of $$$ was transferred to our account. We were doomed. Fortunately, some buffoon in the basement went postal, and burned the building down. Evidence of our scheme disappeared. I'm in construction now.
Drawkcab
People are dumb. If it can be messed up it will be.
permabull
AG
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.