New cell phones

10,279 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by agracer
Ragoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
i just go to ifixit dot com and buy the replacement kit for the bad parts. almost new phone again. well, except now I can only talk on speaker phone.
AliasMan02
AG
Gota De Limon said:

AliasMan02 said:

Also, get a Pixel, switch from a major carrier to Project Fi, and enjoy life a little more.

Been looking intO this for the past month and I'm about 99% sure I'm about to do this. Do you use it? How is it?

It's a total game changer and a huge middle finger to the major carriers. It's clear, fair, totally transparent, and the Pixel is a great phone. Paying less than a hundred a month for two people and honestly, could be way less if I would use the WiFi at work. Saves us like 50-60 a month and we were already on a very competitive employee reference plan with Sprint. Zero coverage problems in Houston or Dallas. Awesome support.

Only reason not to do it is if you're a massive data user over the mobile network, or if you're a devotee to a different phone that isn't available to use with Fi.

If you wanna try it, this will give you 20 bucks off.

https://g.co/fi/r/9HM5NW
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
You're the man! Thanks.
ac04
$700 is not really that much money when you consider it is buying you a miniature computer that connects you to the entire world on demand 24/7.
Jack Cheese
AG
You can get a very good phone for cheap if you are willing to get something less than top of the line. Verizon is selling the Moto Z Play for $120 right now ($5/mo over 24 months). It is a very capable phone, large screen, fp reader, and fantastic battery life.

I like Project Fi, looked into it, but I use too much data in my office that doesn't have wifi. Plus I'd be buying a pixel for $750.

To me it is ludicrous to spend $800+ for an iPhone 7 Plus.
nai06
AG
Another Project Fi user here. Because I'm typically around WiFi, it's great. I spend about $70 a month which includes 5gb of data. Its also great when I have travelled internationally. Same data rates apply and for most countries its about 20 cents a minute when you aren't WiFi calling. Only catch is that it doesn't work for heavy data users.
Ignatius_of_Silesia
nai06 said:

Another Project Fi user here. Because I'm typically around WiFi, it's great. I spend about $70 a month which includes 5gb of data. Its also great when I have travelled internationally. Same data rates apply and for most countries its about 20 cents a minute when you aren't WiFi calling. Only catch is that it doesn't work for heavy data users.
Good thing most people round these parts don't use a whole lot of data.
ILuvAgLand
Another project fi customer here. Definitely the way to go unless you use a lot of non wifi data.
Ag03 CQE
AG
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

AT&T's "unlimited" plan is a throttling nightmare.

Not since they bumped the data limit to 22GB and got rid of automatic throttling.
MouthBQ98
AG
Car dealership model. They are trying to get you to a "monthly payment" you will accept.
AliasMan02
AG
Jack Cheese said:

You can get a very good phone for cheap if you are willing to get something less than top of the line. Verizon is selling the Moto Z Play for $120 right now ($5/mo over 24 months). It is a very capable phone, large screen, fp reader, and fantastic battery life.

I like Project Fi, looked into it, but I use too much data in my office that doesn't have wifi. Plus I'd be buying a pixel for $750.

To me it is ludicrous to spend $800+ for an iPhone 7 Plus.

There's a more moderate phone that can use Fi as well.

Edit: the Nexus is the other phone
MaterialAg
AG
ac04 said:

$700 is not really that much money when you consider it is buying you a miniature computer that connects you to the entire world on demand 24/7.
This.

This isn't the $200 or $300 you want to save, IMHO, considering the utility of a fast, high-memory phone and an effective carrier.

I would go to Project Fi for service (maybe), except the carrier with by far the best coverage is Verizon (it still isn't close) and they are able to prove that commercially by not playing ball with Google and still making money hand over fist. I spend a lot of time in the mountains and have service all the time; friends of mine with other carriers whine about theirs. No thanks. My productivity and convenience is worth $2/day.
AliasMan02
AG
I question whether Verizon is a better network than the combined service of Sprint, T-Mobile, US Cellular, Three, and whatever wifi you can find.
2012AG_Brian
AG
Honestly, just get the new OnePlus. I am using the OnePlus3 and it has been great, and the OnePlus5 was just announced for $480. High end almost everything except the screen is 1080 and not 4k, which doesn't make a difference worthy of the increased price.
johnrth
Insurance... I haven't bought a new phone in 3 or 4 yrs. Had an old LG g3 for a couple years I dropped it getting out my truck and cracked the screen, paid the $100 deductible and they sent a refurbished one, that one didn't even work when I opened it. They said they no longer have that model and said they'll send me a brand new LG v10 that phone was badass. 6months later the Verizon update screwed it up, since it was still under warranty they sent me a brand new LG v20 so far so good.
GCRanger
AG
We got two unlocked Moto G (3rd Gen) phones last year for about $175 each off Amazon. Already had T-Mobile so just slapped in the SIM and away we went. Only pay $117 a month for two phones, 6GB of data each per month, and have used in multiple countries without issue.
AgEng06
AG
AliasMan02 said:

I question whether Verizon is a better network than the combined service of Sprint, T-Mobile, US Cellular, Three, and whatever wifi you can find.
I get what you're saying. Which is why I find this coverage map interesting...

Goodnight Irene
AG
Still relevant. Chris rock and Joe Pesci so NSFW
Jack Cheese
AG
johnrth said:

Insurance... I haven't bought a new phone in 3 or 4 yrs. Had an old LG g3 for a couple years I dropped it getting out my truck and cracked the screen, paid the $100 deductible and they sent a refurbished one, that one didn't even work when I opened it. They said they no longer have that model and said they'll send me a brand new LG v10 that phone was badass. 6months later the Verizon update screwed it up, since it was still under warranty they sent me a brand new LG v20 so far so good.

How much did you pay in premiums over that time period?
AustinCountyAg
What do people do who switch from an iPhone to a Motorola or Samsung in regards to all the pictures and music that are saved to iCloud?
bam02
AG
Typing this on my S7 I got on Swappa. It was used but in perfect condition. Think I paid ~$500.
agracer
AG
If you're currently on AT&T or T-Mobile why would you not switch to Cricket?

Cricket is the same network at ATT (and you're unlocked T-mobile phone will work on ATT's network) so your existing cell/data coverage would not change.

I have 6 phones on Cricket, 5 with 3gB of data and one with 1gB for $160/month. That includes the taxes.

Based on Crowman2010's chart above; 24 x 160 = 3840, or the same as he's paying for 4 phones before taxes.

Not sure how their plans work now, but I got an extra $5/mo off each line as I added lines. Also, $5/credit each month for auto-pay.

If you have kids on the plan, get them the $30/mo 1gB plan. No need for more than that for you average teen unless they are accessing pron or something.
aTm2004
AG
agracer said:

Cricket is the same network at ATT (and you're unlocked T-mobile phone will work on ATT's network) so your existing cell/data coverage would not change.

I have 6 phones on Cricket, 5 with 3gB of data and one with 1gB for $160/month. That includes the taxes.

Based on Crowman2010's chart above; 24 x 160 = 3840, or the same as he's paying for 4 phones before taxes.

Not sure how their plans work now, but I got an extra $5/mo off each line as I added lines. Also, $5/credit each month for auto-pay.

If you have kids on the plan, get them the $30/mo 1gB plan. No need for more than that for you average teen unless they are accessing pron or something.
Sorry gramps, but most people will blow through 3gb of data pretty quickly. I average about 20gb/mo usage during my roughly an hour commute to and from work each day. But I guess that's a lot for your Razr.
AgEng06
AG
Are you streaming YouTube while driving? How do you use so much data?

My wife and I share 6 GB per month, and never go over.
02skiag
AG
ClickClack said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

ClickClack said:

titanmaster_race said:

ClickClack said:

titanmaster_race said:

ClickClack said:

Tree Hugger said:

I did the math last time I upgraded and it was actually a little cheaper on AT&T to do the payment plan in lieu of the two-year contract and discounted phone.

Yes because they make the plan more expensive if you don't do their Next program...

Yes, but once the contract is up, the plan cost goes back down. I believe you paid less overall that way, which is why carrier companies have stopped offering the subsidised phone cost with the contract.

I think.

No, my point is they never added a cost before if you did the subsidized phone route. Now they do. If you pay the full amount over 24 months, they don't add the monthly fee. Point is, the monthly fee never existed until the Next program.

Yes it did. Maybe they called it something different. But it existed.

I got a 2 year contract on a subsidized Galaxy S6 wth Verizon in 2015. My monthly cost just went down by about $20 when the contract expired last month.

Yes, because this whole program started over 2 years ago. It was implemented when you got your S6. I'm talking about 3+ years ago before this idea was implemented by all the carriers.

"Subsidized" phones carried a monthly charge of like $20 a month until the contract termination. My current Verizon phone had this and it stopped being charged about 6 months ago. I bought the phone (iPhone 6 plus) for like $300 if I signed a two year contract. Now the monthly fee is gone and you don't get the "subsidy".

I know. The point is a few years ago before this all started, you could get a subsidized phone without an added monthly charge (you just were locked in for two years, that was how they justified the subsidy). I've said this like 5 times in this thread. I'm not talking about now. I'm talking about now compared to 3 or so years ago when they first hatched this whole idea and implemented it.

And I know how much of a rip-off it is compared to what they used to offer because 3 years ago I walked into an AT&T to buy a new phone and they had just started this whole Next thing unbeknownst to me before I walked in. I walked out after trying to show the salesperson the math and how much of a ripoff it was on a piece of paper. He couldn't seem to follow. I think they baffled the low intelligence sales people with so much bullsh*t when training them on their new programs that they actually believe it's a better deal than what they used to offer.

Really it's all moot now because it's become common practice. But I member.

You must have had some super secret deal before Next or your math was actually wrong. I pay less than I did under contract now with Next. When my phone is paid off I will be much lower than the 2 year contract pricing.
aTm2004
AG
AgEng06 said:

Are you streaming YouTube while driving? How do you use so much data?

My wife and I share 6 GB per month, and never go over.

I drive in Houston and have Spotify and Waze going the whole time. With Spotify, it's streaming at 320 because I want the best sound available, and with unlimited, why not?
crowman2010
AG
candyland02 said:

You must have had some super secret deal before Next or your math was actually wrong. I pay less than I did under contract now with Next. When my phone is paid off I will be much lower than the 2 year contract pricing.
I don't think his math was wrong. Maybe yours is?
aggiepaintrain
AG
for what you get $700-900 is a bargain
agracer
AG
aTm2004 said:

agracer said:

Sorry gramps, but most people will blow through 3gb of data pretty quickly. I average about 20gb/mo usage during my roughly an hour commute to and from work each day. But I guess that's a lot for your Razr.

I get e-mail and browse the web occasionally and never approach my limit. Of course I use the work guest wi-fi and wi-fi at home. And I don't stream music or podcasts on the drive to work. Kids DL podcasts & music on the wi-fi at home if they want to listen outside the house.

I guess if you want to spend the $$ Cricket has an unlimited plan for $55/mo.
permabull
AG
ClickClack
AG
candyland02 said:

ClickClack said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

ClickClack said:

titanmaster_race said:

ClickClack said:

titanmaster_race said:

ClickClack said:

Tree Hugger said:

I did the math last time I upgraded and it was actually a little cheaper on AT&T to do the payment plan in lieu of the two-year contract and discounted phone.

Yes because they make the plan more expensive if you don't do their Next program...

Yes, but once the contract is up, the plan cost goes back down. I believe you paid less overall that way, which is why carrier companies have stopped offering the subsidised phone cost with the contract.

I think.

No, my point is they never added a cost before if you did the subsidized phone route. Now they do. If you pay the full amount over 24 months, they don't add the monthly fee. Point is, the monthly fee never existed until the Next program.

Yes it did. Maybe they called it something different. But it existed.

I got a 2 year contract on a subsidized Galaxy S6 wth Verizon in 2015. My monthly cost just went down by about $20 when the contract expired last month.

Yes, because this whole program started over 2 years ago. It was implemented when you got your S6. I'm talking about 3+ years ago before this idea was implemented by all the carriers.

"Subsidized" phones carried a monthly charge of like $20 a month until the contract termination. My current Verizon phone had this and it stopped being charged about 6 months ago. I bought the phone (iPhone 6 plus) for like $300 if I signed a two year contract. Now the monthly fee is gone and you don't get the "subsidy".

I know. The point is a few years ago before this all started, you could get a subsidized phone without an added monthly charge (you just were locked in for two years, that was how they justified the subsidy). I've said this like 5 times in this thread. I'm not talking about now. I'm talking about now compared to 3 or so years ago when they first hatched this whole idea and implemented it.

And I know how much of a rip-off it is compared to what they used to offer because 3 years ago I walked into an AT&T to buy a new phone and they had just started this whole Next thing unbeknownst to me before I walked in. I walked out after trying to show the salesperson the math and how much of a ripoff it was on a piece of paper. He couldn't seem to follow. I think they baffled the low intelligence sales people with so much bullsh*t when training them on their new programs that they actually believe it's a better deal than what they used to offer.

Really it's all moot now because it's become common practice. But I member.

Um...that's the point. You will only pay lower once your phone is paid off. I'd rather pay $199 and be done with it and pay lower the whole time. With my phone paid off my plan is slightly cheaper now but at some point probably soon my phone will break or wear out.
agracer
AG
hypeiv said:

You are better off buying an unlocked phone and going with a byod plan than buying/financing via the service provider.

If you don't want to pay for it all up front, open a zero percent credit card and pay it off monthly.

Edit: another reason this is good is because you can easily switch providers as deals come up... I.e. I started with an unlocked phone on cricket then T-Mobile had a deal for $80 a month two lines unlimited and I was able to jump on that. Now it looks like Sprint is offering a free year of you port a line in and I am thinking about jumping on that but I am not sure about the Sprint network.
Cricket = ATT Network
ATT = AT&T 4G HSPA and HSPA+ use 850Mhz(Band 5) and 1900Mhz(Band 2) LTE uses Band 17(700Mhz), Band 5(850Mhz), Band 2(1900Mhz), Band 4(1700/2100Mhz)
T-Mobile = 1900 MHz PCS2 GSM/GPRS/EDGEUMTS/HSPA+LTE
T-Mobile = 1700/2100 MHz AWS 4 UMTS/HSPA+

Sprint = 800 MHz ESMR 10 1xAdvanced 26 LTE 1900 MHz PCS1 1xRTT/1xAdvanced/EVDO/eHRPD 25 LTE

Sprint phones not compatible with ATT/Cricket/T-Mobile (I'm pretty sure).
Lungblood

Quote:

Cricket = ATT Network
Are you telling me that I'll get the exact same quality of service with Cricket, even in BFE where ATT is not great but it's still the best option?
MEENAGGIE09
AG
Project Fi user also...

Coverage in my area is not great - but because everything works over wifi I actually end up having better service than I used to at my rural work location.

Also, pretty much use wifi exclusively so my bill ends up being about $26 per month!

I already purchased a Nexus 5X when I was on AT&T so no phone costs yet.

Unfortunately Google killed the Nexus line (argh! could get a GREAT phone for $300) so not sure what the plan is for a new phone when this one dies...I guess I will try and get an "old" pixel model after a newer one is released.
permabull
AG
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.