New cell phones

10,202 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by agracer
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You guys are suckers. I got a new iPhone 7 back in nov through att for free by trading in my 2 year old 6. Well, I got the bigger hard drive which was $100, so I pay $4.xx a month for the length of my 2 year contract. Lots of phone companies have done this, you just need to pay attention when.
02skiag
AG
ClickClack said:

candyland02 said:

ClickClack said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

ClickClack said:

titanmaster_race said:

ClickClack said:

titanmaster_race said:

ClickClack said:

Tree Hugger said:

I did the math last time I upgraded and it was actually a little cheaper on AT&T to do the payment plan in lieu of the two-year contract and discounted phone.

Yes because they make the plan more expensive if you don't do their Next program...

Yes, but once the contract is up, the plan cost goes back down. I believe you paid less overall that way, which is why carrier companies have stopped offering the subsidised phone cost with the contract.

I think.

No, my point is they never added a cost before if you did the subsidized phone route. Now they do. If you pay the full amount over 24 months, they don't add the monthly fee. Point is, the monthly fee never existed until the Next program.

Yes it did. Maybe they called it something different. But it existed.

I got a 2 year contract on a subsidized Galaxy S6 wth Verizon in 2015. My monthly cost just went down by about $20 when the contract expired last month.

Yes, because this whole program started over 2 years ago. It was implemented when you got your S6. I'm talking about 3+ years ago before this idea was implemented by all the carriers.

"Subsidized" phones carried a monthly charge of like $20 a month until the contract termination. My current Verizon phone had this and it stopped being charged about 6 months ago. I bought the phone (iPhone 6 plus) for like $300 if I signed a two year contract. Now the monthly fee is gone and you don't get the "subsidy".

I know. The point is a few years ago before this all started, you could get a subsidized phone without an added monthly charge (you just were locked in for two years, that was how they justified the subsidy). I've said this like 5 times in this thread. I'm not talking about now. I'm talking about now compared to 3 or so years ago when they first hatched this whole idea and implemented it.

And I know how much of a rip-off it is compared to what they used to offer because 3 years ago I walked into an AT&T to buy a new phone and they had just started this whole Next thing unbeknownst to me before I walked in. I walked out after trying to show the salesperson the math and how much of a ripoff it was on a piece of paper. He couldn't seem to follow. I think they baffled the low intelligence sales people with so much bullsh*t when training them on their new programs that they actually believe it's a better deal than what they used to offer.

Really it's all moot now because it's become common practice. But I member.

You must have had some super secret deal before Next or your math was actually wrong. I pay less than I did under contract now with Next. When my phone is paid off I will be much lower than the 2 year contract pricing.

Um...that's the point. You will only pay lower once your phone is paid off. I'd rather pay $199 and be done with it and pay lower the whole time. With my phone paid off my plan is slightly cheaper now but at some point probably soon my phone will break or wear out.

No, you pay lower before it is paid off. You pay EVEN lower after it is paid off. Your math was likely wrong which is why the salesman couldn't follow.
proc
AG
Not reading all of these posts, but Sprint offered me two new Galaxy 7s for $200 total, for renewing the two contracts that had expired.

Because I called customer retention and asked them nicely.
Liquid Wrench
AliasMan02 said:

Also, get a Pixel, switch from a major carrier to Project Fi, and enjoy life a little more.
Because Google doesn't track enough of my life as it is?
ClickClack
AG
candyland02 said:

ClickClack said:

candyland02 said:

ClickClack said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

ClickClack said:

titanmaster_race said:

ClickClack said:

titanmaster_race said:

ClickClack said:

Tree Hugger said:

I did the math last time I upgraded and it was actually a little cheaper on AT&T to do the payment plan in lieu of the two-year contract and discounted phone.

Yes because they make the plan more expensive if you don't do their Next program...

Yes, but once the contract is up, the plan cost goes back down. I believe you paid less overall that way, which is why carrier companies have stopped offering the subsidised phone cost with the contract.

I think.

No, my point is they never added a cost before if you did the subsidized phone route. Now they do. If you pay the full amount over 24 months, they don't add the monthly fee. Point is, the monthly fee never existed until the Next program.

Yes it did. Maybe they called it something different. But it existed.

I got a 2 year contract on a subsidized Galaxy S6 wth Verizon in 2015. My monthly cost just went down by about $20 when the contract expired last month.

Yes, because this whole program started over 2 years ago. It was implemented when you got your S6. I'm talking about 3+ years ago before this idea was implemented by all the carriers.

"Subsidized" phones carried a monthly charge of like $20 a month until the contract termination. My current Verizon phone had this and it stopped being charged about 6 months ago. I bought the phone (iPhone 6 plus) for like $300 if I signed a two year contract. Now the monthly fee is gone and you don't get the "subsidy".

I know. The point is a few years ago before this all started, you could get a subsidized phone without an added monthly charge (you just were locked in for two years, that was how they justified the subsidy). I've said this like 5 times in this thread. I'm not talking about now. I'm talking about now compared to 3 or so years ago when they first hatched this whole idea and implemented it.

And I know how much of a rip-off it is compared to what they used to offer because 3 years ago I walked into an AT&T to buy a new phone and they had just started this whole Next thing unbeknownst to me before I walked in. I walked out after trying to show the salesperson the math and how much of a ripoff it was on a piece of paper. He couldn't seem to follow. I think they baffled the low intelligence sales people with so much bullsh*t when training them on their new programs that they actually believe it's a better deal than what they used to offer.

Really it's all moot now because it's become common practice. But I member.

You must have had some super secret deal before Next or your math was actually wrong. I pay less than I did under contract now with Next. When my phone is paid off I will be much lower than the 2 year contract pricing.

Um...that's the point. You will only pay lower once your phone is paid off. I'd rather pay $199 and be done with it and pay lower the whole time. With my phone paid off my plan is slightly cheaper now but at some point probably soon my phone will break or wear out.

No, you pay lower before it is paid off. You pay EVEN lower after it is paid off. Your math was likely wrong which is why the salesman couldn't follow.

Ok bud. The same plan was going to be higher than I was paying when I walked in the door. It was pretty simple. Keep being an ass though.
AliasMan02
AG
ChiliBeans said:

AliasMan02 said:

Also, get a Pixel, switch from a major carrier to Project Fi, and enjoy life a little more.
Because Google doesn't track enough of my life as it is?

I welcome my Google overlords.
Kashchei
AG
Olds *****ing about paying a couple more hundred bucks a year for a cutting edge phone and great service. I thought everyone on Texags was a bunch of billionaires bangin' 10s and driving around in Rolls Royces.
sts7049
AG
another vote for project fi. if you do any international traveling the mobile data access is worth it.
GigEmBevo
Kashchei said:

Olds *****ing about paying a couple more hundred bucks a year for a cutting edge phone and great service. I thought everyone on Texags was a bunch of billionaires bangin' 10s and driving around in Rolls Royces.
Yes but you have to complain about it. Is it your first day!?
MouthBQ98
AG
Well, a phone is a multiprocessor computer with a small SSD drive and a miniature compact HD touch display. OF COURSE it is going to cost a lot, because its components actually do cost a lot, if the phone is anywhere close to cutting edge new.
Post removed:
by user
sts7049
AG
in most countries data access doesn't cost any more than in the US. same rate per gb. check their site for which ones.
TriAg2010
AG
MaterialAg said:

ac04 said:

$700 is not really that much money when you consider it is buying you a miniature computer that connects you to the entire world on demand 24/7.
This.

This isn't the $200 or $300 you want to save, IMHO, considering the utility of a fast, high-memory phone and an effective carrier.

What does a new phone in 2017 do that high-end phone from 2015 can't? The innovation space lately has just been display technology and camera quality.
superunknown
AG
Lungblood said:

Quote:

Cricket = ATT Network
Are you telling me that I'll get the exact same quality of service with Cricket, even in BFE where ATT is not great but it's still the best option?

Never had a problem in the year I've been on cricket.
tbirdspur2010
AG
aTm2004 said:

You can thank millennials and their need to have the latest and greatest.

How dare those whippersnappers not want PoS tech!
Gil Renard
AG
Flip phones FTW. When I retire of course
agracer
AG
Lungblood said:

Quote:

Cricket = ATT Network
Are you telling me that I'll get the exact same quality of service with Cricket, even in BFE where ATT is not great but it's still the best option?
Yes

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.