What causes still healthy people to become foodhealth NAZI's?

6,520 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Direct Enter Enter
FCBlitz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As I grow older I notice a few of my friends and family all of a sudden become uber worried and paranoid about how they eat. I am not talking about dieting to lose weight or to improve cholesterol or other many reason to change ones diet. I am strictly talking about healthy people.

The common traits are as follows:
- Fear of plastic containers, plastic wrap and aluminum foil.
- Absolute fear of chemicals.
- Adding Coconut Oil to everything.
- Dropping all Sugar from diet except for honey.
- Drinking a soda water will kill you.
- Gluten free products only.
- Organic food only.
- Switching cows milk to Almond Milk.
- No red meat...or at least minimal amounts of red meat.
- switching toothpaste, soap and everything else to supposedly chemical free products.

There are two additional traits the absolute belief that global warming is real and that there are big (insert food product) business that are corrupt and are poisoning people to gain a profit.

I am not talking about a slow phase in of changing ones approach I am almost talking wholesale overnight changes. Is it the fear of dying that freaks them out to the point they make radical changes?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Not sure if correlated or not, but I have noticed some overlap between the anti-vaccination crowd with some of what you described as well.
Lungblood
Weak minds and strong wifi.
Out in Left Field
AG
I only drink Michealob Ultra, which makes me fit and attractive just like all my other Ultra drinking fit and attractive friends.
Buck Compton
AG
Lungblood said:

Weak minds and strong wifi.
This.

Furthermore, it is primarily a phenomenon experienced by people who cannot come to grips with their own mortality.
marble rye
AG
Having a relative or good friend get diagnosed w cancer can do it.
toucan82
Stop hanging out with white people
Aggie369
AG
My dad was a very healthy 63 year old who was very active, didnt drink, didnt smoke and had no pre cursors for kidney cancer when he was diagnosed.

He passed last year and after learning about the diet they put him on and why to make his kidneys work less i have changed my diet. Im 30 years old, go to the gym or play golf 4 days a week and in the best shape ive ever been in. Some change is just less processed food and some change is because i always wonder if drinking more water or less diet drinks, etc could have any positive impact on my body. Not that those things will cause cancer but if his kidneys were in better shape they might have been able to perform another surgery after they took out his first kidney...

People give me a hard time for eating healthy but i don't explain this to them (that would be quite tje buzz kill on the convo)...i just shrug and say im trying to be healthier
dds08
AG
Aggie369 said:

My dad was a very healthy 63 year old who was very active, didnt drink, didnt smoke and had no pre cursors for kidney cancer when he was diagnosed.

He passed last year and after learning about the diet they put him on and why to make his kidneys work less i have changed my diet. Im 30 years old, go to the gym or play golf 4 days a week and in the best shape ive ever been in. Some change is just less processed food and some change is because i always wonder if drinking more water or less diet drinks, etc could have any positive impact on my body. Not that those things will cause cancer but if his kidneys were in better shape they might have been able to perform another surgery after they took out his first kidney...

People give me a hard time for eating healthy but i don't explain this to them (that would be quite tje buzz kill on the convo)...i just shrug and say im trying to be healthier
I am right there with you.

The fact of the matter is that Americans do NOT eat enough natural vegetables/fruit/herbs.

In life when major organs start to give out, you wonder how did you get here and the cruel/stark/harsh reality of the situation is, your best thinking got you here.

Follow the cheese! CHANGE can be a good thing. "Who moved my Cheese."

Less of the crap fast food, doritoes, and cheetoes is a good thing.

Even the surgeon general has said numerous times, eat your vegetables, for crying out loud, if I am not mistaking.

What's so bad about it is, to eat healthier is to pay more in food costs. Organic is more expensive, ~cough~ Whole foods compared to Fiesta/HEB ~cough~ healthier items are pricier at Chick-fil-a
dds08
AG
How much is/are life/surgeon general/doctors going to have to beat it into our heads that we are what we eat? What will it take for us humans to learn good dieting practice. It's only what's best for us.

Candy/fast food/junk can be enjoyed in moderation and kept to a minimum. Figure out what your own formula is.
txaggie_08
AG
Only two posts in a row? You can do better than that.....
OnlyForNow
AG
If you didn't know that water is better for you than Diet Coke, you deserve what you get Moran.
Tanya 93
Mom dying of premenopausal breast cancer.
5C
AG
I'm a healthy guy, go to the gym 5 days a week, not fat. I certainly do not shy away from having a good burger from a fast food joint when I'm on the road or getting good old fashioned processed food on occasion but there has got to be some correlation to the food industrie's preservatives, modifications, sugar and processes that are contributing to cancer.... the human body wasn't meant to be a vial of synthetic chemicals. I think the over-reaction you see from most folks like this is not really knowing what the issue is, but knowing it does exist so their fear is a broad one.
Slicer97
AG
FCBlitz said:

- Fear of plastic containers, plastic wrap and aluminum foil. This is dumb unless you're getting the plastic hot enough to melt it.

- Absolute fear of chemicals. Salt is a chemical as is water. Yeah, you don't want a bunch of artificial additives, but be reasonable.

- Adding Coconut Oil to everything. Not gonna hurt you, but seems like overkill.

- Dropping all Sugar from diet except for honey. To your metabolism, sugar is sugar.

- Drinking a soda water will kill you. No, it won't.

- Gluten free products only. Unless you have celiac's disease, this is effing stupid. You don't feel better because you dropped gluten from your diet. You feel better because you dropped a crapload of junkfood that coincidently contains gluten. Dumbasses...

- Organic food only. All food is technically organic.

- Switching cows milk to Almond Milk. Whatever floats your boat. Unless you're lactose intolerant or just like the taste better, it's a waste of money.

- No red meat...or at least minimal amounts of red meat. Red meat is better for you than chicken.

- switching toothpaste, soap and everything else to supposedly chemical free products. There's no such thing as "chemical free". Fear mongering.

There are two additional traits the absolute belief that global warming is real and that there are big (insert food product) business that are corrupt and are poisoning people to gain a profit. Anyone stupid enough to believe gluten is evil is stupid enough to believe most anything, I guess.

Joe Exotic
AG
I always like it when a fatass tells me they are a vegetarian, eat organic stuff, and avoid gluten
titanmaster_race
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

I always like it when a fatass tells me they are a vegetarian, eat organic stuff, and avoid gluten

Or conversely, when an overweight middle aged man responds to the question of "What do the doctors think is causing your tachycardia that you had to be hospitalized for?" with "They don't even know."

MouthBQ98
AG
I dropped almost 50lb and radically improved my health and fitness by cutting most processed carbs and sugars out of my diet. That approach really is good for you. All those carbs are garbage food you don't need if you eat your veggies and fruits.

Milk is mostly fat and sugar and is pretty useless nutritionally if you eat your meat and veggies. Just calories you don't need.

The rest of it is social media garbage mostly.
MooreTrucker
AG
FCBlitz said:

As I grow older I notice a few of my friends and family all of a sudden become uber worried and paranoid about how they eat. I am not talking about dieting to lose weight or to improve cholesterol or other many reason to change ones diet. I am strictly talking about healthy people.

- Fear of plastic containers, plastic wrap and aluminum foil.
- Absolute fear of chemicals.
- Adding Coconut Oil to everything.
- Dropping all Sugar from diet except for honey.
- Drinking a soda water will kill you.
- Gluten free products only.
- Organic food only.
- Switching cows milk to Almond Milk.
- No red meat...or at least minimal amounts of red meat.
- switching toothpaste, soap and everything else to supposedly chemical free products.

There are two additional traits the absolute belief that global warming is real and that there are big (insert food product) business that are corrupt and are poisoning people to gain a profit.

I am not talking about a slow phase in of changing ones approach I am almost talking wholesale overnight changes. Is it the fear of dying that freaks them out to the point they make radical changes?

Some of this stuff is legit...no sodas, less sugar, etc. But some of it...coconut oil, for example...is just internet fad that's being proven to be nonsense. And some of it...cow's milk to almond milk...can be truly UNhealthy for most people.
MooreTrucker
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

I dropped almost 50lb and radically improved my health and fitness by cutting most processed carbs and sugars out of my diet. That approach really is good for you. All those carbs are garbage food you don't need if you eat your veggies and fruits.

Milk is mostly fat and sugar and is pretty useless nutritionally if you eat your meat and veggies. Just calories you don't need.

The rest of it is social media garbage mostly.
I'm pretty sure that's not correct.....
Bruce Almighty
AG
Lol at thinking coconut oil is healthy.
GtownRAB
AG
Portion control and exercise would solve a lot of people problems

Coog97
MouthBQ98
AG
Look at the nutritional label for milk.

Yes, it has tons of sugar (lactose) and fat in it. It does have nutritional value in terms of some vitamins and minerals, but nothing you can't get a lot more of by eating some fresh vegetables in your diet, without all the fat and sugar. And a significant portion of the adult population is lactose intolerant to some degree. It's just better to leave milk (and particularly cheese) for the kids and eat your veggies.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
I'm fine with anyone living their life however they choose. I don't have to agree with it but God bless you. I've got enough going on in my corner of the world to keep me busy.

It's when someone sticks their nose in my business or tries to force their lifestyle on me that I get blind-rage pissed pretty quickly. Mind your own business. I'm betting there's still plenty of other areas of your life that need work. I neither need, nor want you to supervise mine, TYVM.
Professor Frick
AG
How bout you stop trying to force your don't-force-your-lifestyle-on-me lifestyle on me.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Professor Frick said:

How bout you stop trying to force your don't-force-your-lifestyle-on-me lifestyle on me.
How about you just do what I say!!!111!1!! It's healthier and you'll live longer.
MooreTrucker
AG
Fonzie Scheme said:

Professor Frick said:

How about you just do what I say!!!111!1!! It's healthier and you'll live longer.
Spoken like a parent.
Professor Frick
AG
Fonzie Scheme said:

Professor Frick said:

Ok, fine. I'll quit attempting to push my stop-trying-to-force-your-don't-force-your-lifestyle-on-me-lifestyle-on-me lifestyle on you.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Fonzie Scheme said:

Professor Frick said:

Spoken like a parent.
BS. My old man is from the "let him touch the electric fence, he'll learn" school of thought.
Slicer97
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

It's just better to leave milk (and particularly cheese) for the kids and eat your veggies.

You can have my cheese when you pry it from my cold, dead hands mothereffer...
Tanya 93
Does this forcing your eating choices count when you try to force meat or gluten or sugar on people who are choosing not to eat it?

Professor Frick
AG
Tanya 93 said:

Does this forcing your eating choices count when you try to force meat or gluten or sugar on people who are choosing not to eat it?

Mmmmmm forcemeat

Post removed:
by user
wbt5845
AG
Out in Left Field said:

I only drink Michealob Ultra, which makes me fit and attractive just like all my other Ultra drinking fit and attractive friends.
There's a facebook group I belong to that has a group run one night a week and then have drinks at a local bar. Most of this group is < 30. They ALL drink Michalob Ultra. I drink Revolver Blood & Honey.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.