Joel Osteen

21,013 Views | 223 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BlackGoldAg2011
AgGrad99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Quote:

I could care less what or how he or anyone for that matter preaches. I'm sure there are many people that get some form of peace or hope from his message.
There are also people that get hope from Tony Robbins' messages...but that doesn't make him a preacher.
Quote:

Who am I, or who are we to have a problem with that.

Quote:

What is truth to you might not be truth to everyone. I'll admit I'm no poster child for a good Christian, but I believe what I believe. It is truth to me.

Only I will know if MY truth was correct or not. Nothing will change that. Only YOU will know if your truth will be correct.

I can only hope that God will forgive us all for everything, even what we believe.

I dont know why I'm replying on this thread, but I take issue with assigning the theory of 'believe anything' to Christianity. Those are opposing ideologies, but something that continues to be very prevalent these days.

For a believer, it flies in the face of Christianity to ignore the Bible, and then claim 'truth is relative'. There are very definitive truths that are not the least bit reciprocal with other beliefs. And we have scripture to specifically compare God's word, with that of a guy like Osteen. It's like saying, "The manual might say my car can't float, but I believe it can, because it's my car". Well, good luck with that, but your car doesnt float; maybe you can make/buy a boat...but it's not the car described in the manual.

If you're a believer, you're instructed to use discernment, and not accept the message from everyone who calls themselves a preacher. Otherwise, you're receiving a jumbled, inconsistent and confusing message. It muddies the actual message...which is precisely what scripture warns against. It's exactly what satan hopes to accomplish, and what the Disciples in the early church continually warned against.

The issue isn't his message, in and of itself. It's that he's a motivational speaker claiming his errant words as scriptural, when they are obviously not.

If you don't accept scripture as God's word. I understand your position. You dont believe any of it, so why would you care about a debate regarding Osteen's message, and if it's scriptural? But if you do accept God's word...the Bible is very clear about it.

2 Timothy 4:3
For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions

Colossians 2:8
See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ.

2 Corinthians 11:13-15
For such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ. And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. So it is no surprise if his servants, also, disguise themselves as servants of righteousness. Their end will correspond to their deeds.

Matthew 7:15
"Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves.

2 Peter 2:3
And in their greed they will exploit you with false words. Their condemnation from long ago is not idle, and their destruction is not asleep.

Many many more verses about this....
aggiepublius
AG
AggieBand2004 said:

Catholics. We could start a HUGE thread on THEM
We have a forum already dedicated to that around here somewhere.
AggieBand2004
AG
I heard there's a general forum that serves as a catch-all, too. Maybe I'll go there
Unemployed
AG
You non-Catholic bros wanna fite me? I'll fk you up boy.
Dr. Faustus
AG
RealTalk said:

One little preposition away from being a Catholic preacher.
ClickClack
AG
Angry Panda said:

RealTalk said:

Unemployed
AG
Angry Panda said:

RealTalk said:

Touche.
Rusty GCS
AG
I'm not saying protestants are going to hell. I'm sure the journey to salvation is like a road map.

But Jesus built I-10 to get from Earth to Heaven and it's the Catholic Church. I'm not taking any detours and hoping I arrive at my destination.
mrad85
AG
Rusty GCS said:

I'm not saying protestants are going to hell. I'm sure the journey to salvation is like a road map.

But Jesus built I-10 to get from Earth to Heaven and it's the Catholic Church. I'm not taking any detours and hoping I arrive at my destination.
And I hope you get there, along with everyone else that wants/hopes to get there, including me.
Ragoo
AG
Rusty GCS said:

i-10 to heaven is going to confession and saying 15 hail mary's?
ClickClack
AG
Ragoo said:

Rusty GCS said:

i-10 to heaven is going to confession and saying 15 hail mary's?

Yes. That's what Jesus had said.

"I am the way, the Truth, and the Life. No one gets to the father except through me. And make sure you go to confession and tell your sins to a guy every week and say your hail mary's as quickly as possible so you can get on with the part of your life you actually care about."
swimmerbabe11

I was asking MRAD
AggieBand2004
AG
I-10 also includes conferring "queen of heaven" status and sinlessness on a wholly human woman, apparently
CDUB98
AG
Swimlette has absolutely crushed this whole thread.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
Just gonna leave this here
http://babylonbee.com/news/bee-explains-prosperity-gospel/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.