Joel Osteen

21,079 Views | 223 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BlackGoldAg2011
Unemployed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

OlArmy91 thinks I'm a manatee
If you replace "maneater" with "manatee" in the song "Maneater", it still makes sense!
SkiMo
AG
We feel the same about you
PrincessButtercup
AG
Lungblood said:

The crooked mental hard-on the gays have for God and small town living is always entertaining.
I don't think that's fair based on his statement.
Rusty GCS
AG
I put rice in my chili
Unemployed
AG
Rusty GCS said:

I put rice in my chili
I do that, too.
CDUB98
AG
Rusty GCS said:

I put rice in my chili
Us poors do that to get more mileage out of the meals.
AliasMan02
AG
PrincessButtercup said:

Some of y'all seem to think we play a part in our own salvation. That's gotta be a tough burden to bear. I was under the impression Christ's death and resurrection provided our sanctification.

The way I try to internalize it is this:

Every sin is a hammer on a nail on the cross... some small additional agony that is on our ledger, but paid by Jesus. Every time we slip up, another blow of the hammer.

Christians are called to not be okay with our part in this. To not sin and therefore contribute less to the collective debt of pain and suffering. And when we do sin, to feel that regret and try to do better.

What we are absolutely forbidden from doing is to cheer for the next hammer blow. To celebrate the sin.

Just one sinful idiot's way to process it.
vin1041
AG
So do I!!!!
AliasMan02
AG
SkiMo said:

It's not fake because it exists...but I believe it's nothing more than a big fairy tale conjured up by some bored and hopeless people thousands of years ago.

I understand the draw toward atheism and the reasoning behind it. I can see your side in the thing. But statements like this are just as ignorant as Christians who discard science and history in favor of a spiritual narrative.

Even from the perspective of a non-believer, the historical and archaeological record shows that the founders of the Church were actually believers. All evidence points toward Peter's martyrdom as being a historical event, for example. We know from history the era of Messianic fervor that existed among Israel under the Romans, but also that something about the foundation of Christianity made it the only one to last and inspire actual devotion on any scale.

The idea that Christianity was invented as a social coping mechanism by non-believers is tough to support.
PrincessButtercup
AG
AliasMan02 said:

PrincessButtercup said:

Some of y'all seem to think we play a part in our own salvation. That's gotta be a tough burden to bear. I was under the impression Christ's death and resurrection provided our sanctification.

The way I try to internalize it is this:

Every sin is a hammer on a nail on the cross... some small additional agony that is on our ledger, but paid by Jesus. Every time we slip up, another blow of the hammer.

Christians are called to not be okay with our part in this. To not sin and therefore contribute less to the collective debt of pain and suffering. And when we do sin, to feel that regret and try to do better.

What we are absolutely forbidden from doing is to cheer for the next hammer blow. To celebrate the sin.

Just one sinful idiot's way to process it.
The problem with that (to me) is it places far more focus on our ability to handle our lives. The point was we are going to mess up. We shouldn't be laissez faire about it, but our obedience stems from our love for Him and our understanding of just how great His sacrifice was. Trying to somehow meet Him in the middle to handle our sanctification and justification is making less of what He did, once and for all.

Essentially, I adhere to the "what? shall we sin more because grace abounds more? never!" verses while making sure my focus isn't on my actions, but His. The love and gratitude lead to obedience- not fear or an attempt to somehow aid in the sanctification process.
Claude!
RealTalk said:

Rusty GCS said:

I put rice in my chili
I do that, too.
Why do you put rice in Rusty's chili?
Unemployed
AG
Claude! said:

RealTalk said:

Rusty GCS said:

I put rice in my chili
I do that, too.
Why do you put rice in Rusty's chili?
Because he loves that long grain rice all up in his chili IYKWIM.
swimmerbabe11
Justification and Sanctification aren't the same thing though. I think a lot of the problem with modern day churches is that they have completely done away with sanctification as a thought. Sanctification is exactly what's being discussed in Philippians 2.

Justification is the starting point, sanctification is the journey.
PrincessButtercup
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

Justification and Sanctification aren't the same thing though. I think a lot of the problem with modern day churches is that they have completely done away with sanctification as a thought. Sanctification is exactly what's being discussed in Philippians 2.

Justification is the starting point, sanctification is the journey.

I understand that. But I also don't believe we are able to sanctify ourselves at all. It's about what He's done not what we can try to do to supplement to once and for all atonement.
CDUB98
AG
Quote:

But I also don't believe we are able to sanctify ourselves at all.
That's not what she is saying.
swimmerbabe11
Atonement is part of justification. Christ atoned for our sins. To say otherwise is the Pelagian heresy I mentioned earlier.

We participate in our sanctification by not rejecting God's gifts of faith and by choosing to engage in activities that allow us to hear the word of God and further strengthen that faith. Sanctification is the process of theosis or deification, becoming more like God. The Bible instructs us to strive towards that. If we aren't doing so, we are sinning and should repent.
CDUB98
AG
Quote:

The Bible instructs us to strive towards that. If we aren't doing so, we are sinning and should repent.
ClickClack
AG
I'd argue the laws' sole purpose was to show that we simply could never meet it. The Jews failed again and again and again. Its purpose was to show a need for a sacrifice that would cover that inability to attain what God requires.

So do we sin because of that? No. But what is sin? Jesus' words and the New Testament make it clear that we are to love God and love others - that is our commandment.

Unfortunately too many people (including some hateful people on texags - not swimmer) are so caught up in their own version of righteousness and what they construe as "following the law" that they missed the one thing that Jesus said is sin - to not love others or God.
Ragoo
AG
SkiMo said:

Ragoo said:

SkiMo said:

Ragoo said:

SkiMo said:

one MEEN Ag said:

SkiMo said:

I love it when one church/religion complains about the validity of another...it's very ironic seeing as though they are all ****ing crazy.

This isn't baptist calling out methodists for something like dancing and drinking. Osteen just does not preach the central tenants of Christianity.

And most "christians" don't follow all the teachings of the bible consistently.
therefore Christianity must be fake

Logic
It's not fake because it exists...but I believe it's nothing more than a big fairy tale conjured up by some bored and hopeless people thousands of years ago.

With that said, my point is that many of the christians that I grew up with and know keep very busy criticizing everyone else but themselves...and most don't know **** about what being a christian is.
sounds like your "most" are really a select few that you seem to have issue with. if it bothers you so much why don't you talk with them and let them know that their piety comes across as fake?
Because I don't care enough to waste my time?
clearly....
swimmerbabe11
Okay, so you are down with the Mirror (second use), but you don't agree that the law is a guide for how we *should* act (guide/3rd use), nor does it remind us of what happens if we fall from grace (1st use/curb)?
ClickClack
AG
No, I don't think we are held to trying to obey the law. Do you cover your head in public? Do you eat pork? All the other crazy stuff? The law was overly onerous for the sole reason of showing it could not be kept. Thus, the sacrifices they continued to have to make.
SkiMo
AG
Ragoo said:

SkiMo said:

Ragoo said:

SkiMo said:

Ragoo said:

SkiMo said:

one MEEN Ag said:

SkiMo said:

I love it when one church/religion complains about the validity of another...it's very ironic seeing as though they are all ****ing crazy.

This isn't baptist calling out methodists for something like dancing and drinking. Osteen just does not preach the central tenants of Christianity.

And most "christians" don't follow all the teachings of the bible consistently.
therefore Christianity must be fake

Logic

With that said, my point is that many of the christians that I grew up with and know keep very busy criticizing everyone else but themselves...and most don't know **** about what being a christian is.
sounds like your "most" are really a select few that you seem to have issue with. if it bothers you so much why don't you talk with them and let them know that their piety comes across as fake?
Because I don't care enough to waste my time?
clearly....
Yes...because taking a couple of minutes to comment on a website is that same as going to individually talk to all the hundreds of christians I know about their piety. Good try though.
swimmerbabe11
Ceremonial law and moral law aren't the same

a great Lutheran Satire on the subject
AliasMan02
AG
ClickClack said:

No, I don't think we are held to trying to obey the law. Do you cover your head in public? Do you eat pork? All the other crazy stuff? The law was overly onerous for the sole reason of showing it could not be kept. Thus, the sacrifices they continued to have to make.

She's not referring to OT law.
ClickClack
AG
I think it's kind of a man-made construct to break out ceremonial and "moral" law, but I think we're essentially saying the same thing. Yes, we should still follow the ten commandments. I believe they all fall under "loving God and loving others". The Holy Spirit was also given to us as a way to give us conviction of sin. I've given up trying to analyze every single thing on a list and check mark what is sin and not, what is following "moral" law or not.

Are you loving God? Are you loving others? Do you have conviction from the Holy Spirit? As someone saved by Jesus' final sacrifice, this is my barometer for how I should conduct my life.
swimmerbabe11
Oh, right cause perfectly following the 10 commandments is easy peasy stuff. I see what you mean. The list is 10 and they encompass all of the sins.

It's not a man mad construct. Scripture says that the ceremonial law was fulfilled by Christ's resurrection. Scripture commands that we are still to follow the 10 commandments.

Scripture dictates that we love others and follow the moral law. You can't pick and choose. You must do both.
Unemployed
AG
LOL @ these non-Catholics. We Catholics got it easy - we just listen to whatever the priest tells us. And we don't even have to read the Bible!!! How cool is that?
ClickClack
AG
Why are you getting upset? I'm mainly agreeing with you. And in fact, I complimented you in my first post.

I never said following the 10 commandments was easy. Obviously it's not.

Scripture says the law was fulfilled by Christ's resurrection.

Matthew 7:12

So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.
Lungblood
Quote:

I'm mainly agreeing with you.
Forget it... she's rolling.
swimmerbabe11
Who is upset?
ClickClack
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

Who is upset?

Well your first paragraph was pretty snarky.
chipotle
Did someone win the Bible fight?
ClickClack
AG
chipotle said:

You did, chipotle.
chipotle
Yeahhhh!!!!

Beer Baron
AG
chipotle said:

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.