What was your first CPU?

12,268 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Fife
gigemags-99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bondag said:

Apple IIe.

Frogger
Oregon Trail
Hardball
Winter Games

Winter Games was the **** ! Biathlon (keep that heart rate down for easier shooting) lol

What about Skyfox?
permabull
AG
TPS_Report
AG
Atari 600XL with 1010 Tape Drive. It was connected to my Sears 13" black and white TV.
KidDoc
AG
labmansid said:

Yup this was mine. Did you have the incredible floppy disk accessory?

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BEaggie08
AG
zephyr88 said:

In 1984, I was the only guy on my floor that had a computer in my room. It started up with a boot disk (floppy), then you had to load the program disks (WordPerfect and Lotus 1-2-3) each time. I think it had 20mb hard drive.
This was my first as well. I think I had one in like 88 though.
The Fife
GiveEmHellBill said:

Family's first computer:

My first CPU in college was a Compaq Presario like this one:

Ugh, thanks for the reminder of how miserable those things were.
Duncan Idaho
labmansid said:

Damn you were a baller.
KidDoc
AG
One of my favorites from the day, hard game.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
E
AG
We had a compaq predation then a refurbished e-machines
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Mac Classic II
NoahAg
I think it was a Dell Dimension like this. Wife and I bought it after getting married. Never had a computer in HS or college. Used a friend's computer in HS (sometimes used an electronic typewriter for papers). Used the computer lab at A&M.

duffelpud
AG

I used to write machine code for the 6502 (that's 1966 in hex).

Prior to that I wrote games for this bad boy...

taxpreparer
AG
Commodore 8032
ThatOneAg
Intel 8080 and IBM XT is the earliest I can remember.

ThatOneAg
Claude! said:

Intel 8088
Spider69
AG
Osborne 2 Executive

2 floppy drives
256 K Ram
No hard drive

AND
Portable as long as you had 110 Vac power!

Booted faster than anything I have know. Plus it was likely more productive for work! WordStar! CPM! Basic!
62strat
AG
This was ours.. can't believe this classic hasn't been posted yet.

TPS_Report
AG
My next computer was a clone with a 486 DX40 and a "turbo" button!
TPS_Report
AG
KidDoc said:

labmansid said:

Allsome!!!
Dad-O-Lot
AG
First one I used was a Radio Shack TRS-80 Model IV

First one I owned was an IBM PS-2. 386 processor. 1.44 meg "high density" floppy. 30 meg hard drive.

At the same time I bought a surge protector / power strip from "computerland" in College Station and an HP Deskjet 500 inkjet printer.

I used that printer for over 10 years. I still have and use the power strip / surge protector.
Blahhead
I can't stand Apple, but it was this:

Blahhead
And just so you know, a CPU is a central processing unit, a chip per se.
TulaneAg
386 in about 91 or 92.

With the modem and my Prodigy internet account, I could dial into the A&M system and literally see everyone's name, address, SSN, major, current class schedule, balance, etc. and I'm no hacker or computer genius. It was just all right there for me to see.

If I had known how much money I could've made selling that info, I would've taken the year off to download it all to floppy's....it would've taken that long I'm sure.
CajunAg97
AG

UmustBKidding
First I owned

Next actually older

Oldest I still have

All these Apple, PC with tape and disk drives are just a fad, real computers have switches on their front panel to do I/O with. And all these people playing adventure and text games. We had kill the rotating bit on the Imsai. Source code available for it right here https://cs.maryvillecollege.edu/wiki/Architecture/fall2016/Kill_The_Bits

62strat
AG
UmustBKidding said:

First I owned

Next actually older

Oldest I still have

All these Apple, PC with tape and disk drives are just a fad, real computers have switches on their front panel to do I/O with. And all these people playing adventure and text games. We had kill the rotating bit on the Imsai. Source code available for it right here https://cs.maryvillecollege.edu/wiki/Architecture/fall2016/Kill_The_Bits

Amazing Moves
Gateway circa 1998.
combat wombat™
AG
IBM 8088. It was around 1990.

Builder93
AG

TI-99/4A
KidDoc
AG
Blahhead said:

And just so you know, a CPU is a central processing unit, a chip per se.
Yeah but I have no idea what CPU was in the Atari 800. I bet google knows.

he Atari machines consist of a 6502 as the main processor, a combination of ANTIC and GTIA chips to provide graphics, and the POKEY chip to handle sound and serial input/output. These "support" chips are controlled via a series of registers that can be user-controlled via memory load/store instructions running on the 6502. For example, the GTIA uses a series of registers to select colors for the screen; these colors can be changed by inserting the correct values into its registers, which are mapped into "memory" that is visible to the 6502. Some parts of the system also use some of the machine's RAM as a buffer, notably the ANTIC's display buffer and its Display List (essentially a small program written in the chip's simple machine language that tells ANTIC how to interpret that data and turn it into a display), as well as GTIA's Player/Missile (sprite) information.
MouthBQ98
AG
Tandy 2000 80286, baby!
UmustBKidding
Back in the day we prototyped computer and even chips. Worked with the group that built the 68000 out of discrete TTL chips. Guy I work with worked at Tandy. In the early days they built plywood and wire wrapped versions of the model 1, expansion chassis, model 2,3 and all the peripherals up to the Tandy2000 when they quit building prototypes. Has them on shelves in his garage. Another I work with designed the sound chip in 99/4. He also designed the chip in the Apple lighting connector, I give him grief for it to this day. But Woz signed his Macbook air for him.
This buying stuff off the shelf is also a fad.
labmansid
KidDoc said:

labmansid said:

Not at first. Got the cassette tape drive first, then later "upgraded" to the floppy drive after getting tired of the hassle of the tape. I kind of remember having to find the right spot on the tape using the rolling counter to load the program you wanted. And Damn, that stuff was expensive, especially for back then. The hot game back then was "Star Raiders" or something like that. Pretty primitive compared to what has come along after.
Save
StringerBell
AG
Builder93 said:

TI-99/4A
same. i remember playing parsec on that as a kid.
Capstone
AG
IBM PS2 Model 30 8086
DOS OS
Bought at the Micro Computing Center in the MSC
Think it came in a little over $5K
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.