Office breakroom debate

22,754 Views | 162 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by PseudonymK
Ghost91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MD1993 said:

You should take the scoop and take pictures of it in different locations in the building. Examples good be the men's bathroom, conference room, someones seat. Then print the pictures and post them under the hook.

Then enjoy the chaos.
I like this idea and the one about moving it all around the breakroom.
fta09
AG
I would assume it's to cut down on the potential risk of filling a used cup straight out of the ice machine. If you get in the habit of using the scoop, you will always use it and never cross-contaminate. As mentioned by others, broken glass is another good reason.
Whitetail
AG
Reminds me of a story:

A farmer in the country has a watermelon patch, and upon inspection he discovers that some of the local kids have been helping themselves to a feast. The farmer thinks of ways to discourage this profit-eating situation, and he puts up a sign that reads:

"WARNING! ONE OF THESE WATERMELONS CONTAINS POISON!"

He smiled smugly as he watched the kids run off the next night without eating any of his melons. The farmer returned to the watermelon patch a week later to discover that none of the watermelons have been eaten, but finds another sign that reads:

"NOW THERE ARE TWO!"
Direct Enter Enter
I don't have a problem with scoop location since I don't use the ice machine. I do, however, have a problem with curry stalactites in the microwave due to uncovered food.
histag10
AG
i dont know if anyone has mentioned this, but isnt it pretty unsanitary to hang it on the wall? I mean part of it must be touching the wall, right? Eww...
Ghost91
histag10 said:

i dont know if anyone has mentioned this, but isnt it pretty unsanitary to hang it on the wall? I mean part of it must be touching the wall, right? Eww...
Exactly. And now it's hanging right next to the coffee pot, above the cream & sugar area where everyone is always reaching, COUGHING, whatever-ing.
histag10
AG
Ghost91 said:

histag10 said:

Exactly. And now it's hanging right next to the coffee pot, above the cream & sugar area where everyone is always reaching, COUGHING, whatever-ing.

and when your cleaning staff comes in on the weekends or at night, and they clean that counter with chemicals, the spray inevitably ends up on the scoop.

Enjoy your poison ice.
DannyDuberstein
AG
It's dirty to leave the disgusting scooper handle in the ice. Pretty sure it's a violation if a restaurant/fast-food joint does this. Preferably, there would be a some sort of covered spot for it to hang, inside or out.
Whitetail
AG
Way worse if near a toilet.

http://www.businessinsider.com/flushing-toilet-seat-up-sprays-water-germs-2016-3

Quote:

When you flush a toilet, the swirling water that removes your waste from the bowl also mixes with small particles of that waste, shooting aerosolized feces into the air.

94DallasAG
AG
The better question is what kind of lolpoor company do you work for that requires you to scoop your own ice? We get filtered sonic-style ice dispensed automatically. And if you don't feel like ice on your particular trip you can slid the cup over and get a cup of refreshing filtered water, also dispensed automatically.
Drawkcab
Someone at our office was griping about sanitation issues caused by a plastic scoop being in there instead of a metal one.
ElCheAg
AG
Place this sticker next to the post it note and scoop hanger:

Shamwowed
AG
MonkeyKnifeFighter said:

For sanitation's sake, you should insist that the ice scoop be stored in a bath of boiling water, and only be removed to be used.
But would the ice scooper be so hot during use, that it would melt the ice before you're able to place it in a cup?

Maybe they should keep it in boiling water, take it out and place it in the ice machine for 10-15 min to cool down, and then use it to retrieve ice.
Ghost91
I just went and removed it from it's little hook and set it on top of the water cooler across the room.
Beer Baron
AG
Ghost91 said:

I just went and removed it from it's little hook and set it on top of the water cooler across the room.
toucan82
What about that blue stuff barbers put their stuff in? Wouldn't that keep the scoop clean?
HC
Has anyone suggested putting the scoop in the ice machine with a note that reads, "I know what you did last summer."
chipotle
It would be a shame if we discovered where the op worked and emailed this thread to the office.

vin1041
AG
This!
BostonAg74
"New Guy, we used to hang it on the wall, but we discovered that someone was using it as a dustpan at night, so we decided that hiding it in the ice machine was the best option. Your call."
Eliminatus
AG
It's a ****ing new guy. Just tell him to shut his little ***** ass mouth unless he hears a zipper opening. If he says one thing back, haze the **** out of him.

FNGs I swear....
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

PrincessButtercup said:

Jersey Girl said:

Agreed, I used to work at Applebee's and there was a hangy thing for the scoop inside the machine. Outside the machine is dirtier IMO because who knows what could land on it.

Also you should have seen how much trouble I got in for using a glass to scoop ice once!!!

Yep! I got in trouble for the same exact thing! So there's apparently something going on there, but I don't recall what.

Glassware can chip while scooping ice, and leave little shards of glass in the glass you scooped with, or in the ice, where it can be scooped into the next person's drink when their server gets their ice.

Yes, this. I got real lucky that the manager didn't make me clean the thing.
marble rye
AG
Jersey Girl said:

Agreed, I used to work at Applebee's and there was a hangy thing for the scoop inside the machine. Outside the machine is dirtier IMO because who knows what could land on it.

Also you should have seen how much trouble I got in for using a glass to scoop ice once!!!

Bc if the glass breaks, the entire ice container has to ve drained to avoid any glass getting in someone's drink.
SWCBonfire
AG
If he has a cabinet over his desk, attach a big rubber band to the scoop. Tape the rubber band down low to the cabinet door for maximum bungee action.

60% of the time, it works every time.
Ghost91
HC said:

Has anyone suggested putting the scoop in the ice machine with a note that reads, "I know what you did last summer."

Okay, I forgot to check the break room to see if he had discovered that I moved the scoop across the room & set it atop the water cooler, but tomorrow I am totally going to do this note thing.
JM84
If it was really busy we'd just break down and flatten a beer box, lay it on top of the bad ice, throw new ice on top and keep rolling.
chipotle
Ghost91 said:

HC said:

Okay, I forgot to check the break room to see if he had discovered that I moved the scoop across the room & set it atop the water cooler, but tomorrow I am totally going to do this note thing.

Be subtle. Do things in weekly increments. Gradually escalate. If you work this right you could bring down the entire place.

marble rye
AG
Get the vending machine guy to put the scoop in there.

Put the scoop in a jello mold.

/The Office
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
The scoop should get its own Instagram account so it can document its travels.
AggiePetro07
AG
Replace the scoop with a tablespoon or similar sized scoop.
Flashdiaz
AG
get ice with your hands... if anyone looks at you funny, inform them that you wash your hands at least twice a day.
Buck Compton
AG
AggiePetro07 said:

Replace the scoop with a tablespoon or similar sized scoop.
Protein powder scoop for the muscle-bro...
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
Slime in the ice machine !!!

Marvin Zindler
PrincessButtercup
AG
Flashdiaz said:

get ice with your hands... if anyone looks at you funny, inform them that you wash your hands at least twice a day.

No you wash your hands if you #2.
62strat
AG
JM84 said:

If it was really busy we'd just break down and flatten a beer box, lay it on top of the bad ice, throw new ice on top and keep rolling.

Ice in my drink touching some nasty cardboard that's been on the ground, in a truck, etc?

That's ****ing gross. And lazy as all get out.

Jon Taffer would not approve.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.