Office breakroom debate

22,667 Views | 162 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by PseudonymK
Ghost91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So our office breakroom has an ice machine in it. The ice scoop has always been kept inside the ice machine, on top of the ice.

About a month ago, I noticed New Guy using a hell of a lotta ice. Seemed like everytime I went in there, he was putting ice in one of those muscle drink mixer bottles (he looks like one of those orange gay bodybuilders). I also noticed that he always put the ice scoop on top of some napkins on the counter, instead of back in the machine.

Last week I happened to be in there and he came in and beelined to the ice machine, opened it, and when he saw the scoop was inside he made a big dramatic huff & puff noise, shook his head to indicate his severe disappointment, etc. Very theatrical. Side note - I never use the ice machine, so whatever.

A couple of days ago I noticed that 'someone' had hung one of those little plastic sticky hooks on the wall and the scoop was hanging from it. Now today there's a (very colorful) sign on the door of the ice machine that reads, "Please do not put the scoop back in the ice machine! This is unsanitary!! Please use the hook!!!".

Went in there a few minutes ago, and some wise-ass has put a Post-It note next to his sign that says, "what if someone sneezes on the scoop while it's hanging there exposed to the elements instead of safely inside the machine?".

Now I have all kinds of questions - how is it inherently "unsanitary" to put it in the machine? Is it because someone has touched it, and now it's touching the ice? If so, then what good does hanging it up do, since it's just going to touch the ice again without being first washed the next time someone uses it anyway?
Slicer97
AG
Y'all need more to do if this is the sort of thing y'all debate at work. Now go make your boss some money, you f'n slacker.
permabull
AG
riverrataggie
AG
You don't usually put the scoop inside the machine so it doesn't get buried by ice. Not because it's unsanitary.
PapaJohn14
AG
I love some good passive aggressive office shenanigans. What a lively workplace!
ac04
you do it so it doesn't get buried and also because its unsanitary. because science. if you'd like to learn more, i suggest google.
AggieT
AG
Start hiding stuff from his desk in the ice machine.
Bald Messiah
AG
Take a dump in the ice machine. Place the scoop on top of the dump.
cr0wbar
AG
First off- great thread

Second - I have a similar story when I was in 6th grade elementary school. I had this routine (I'm a man that loves his routines) I would sit down and eat my lunch, obviously (sometimes I would pack my own lunch, especially on enchilada days, because that would seriously **** up your digestive system, but I digress) and after I would finish eating I'd throw my stuff away.

Before I was done eating, I'd always go to the water fountain and refresh myself before going back to the classroom. This was normal right? Then, I'd swipe my left hand under the water and quickly rinse my hands off. I like to keep myself clean, and I never carried around hand sanitizer (Why would I do that at the age of 12?)

After doing that for a couple months, I remember the mean old lunch lady (she wasn't really even a lunch lady, she just pretended to be important- I'm not sure what she was. But she didn't wear the hairnet, she was possibly a janitor) confronted me and asked "What are you doing? That's unsanitary!" I wise assed her myself - asking why? Because people weren't going to drink the water I just touched. And using that same logic- the water is hitting our lips and falling back into the fountain anyway. I never understood it. So where does the water from a fountain go? I would assume it connects to a black/gray water line, right?
proc
AG
MonkeyKnifeFighter
bagger05
AG
Quote:

I would assume it connects to a black/gray water line, right?
I don't think we've had separate water lines for black and gray people since desegregation.
Unemployed
AG
cr0wbar said:

First off- great thread

Second - I have a similar story when I was in 6th grade elementary school. I had this routine (I'm a man that loves his routines) I would sit down and eat my lunch, obviously (sometimes I would pack my own lunch, especially on enchilada days, because that would seriously **** up your digestive system, but I digress) and after I would finish eating I'd throw my stuff away.

Before I was done eating, I'd always go to the water fountain and refresh myself before going back to the classroom. This was normal right? Then, I'd swipe my left hand under the water and quickly rinse my hands off. I like to keep myself clean, and I never carried around hand sanitizer (Why would I do that at the age of 12?)

After doing that for a couple months, I remember the mean old lunch lady (she wasn't really even a lunch lady, she just pretended to be important- I'm not sure what she was. But she didn't wear the hairnet, she was possibly a janitor) confronted me and asked "What are you doing? That's unsanitary!" I wise assed her myself - asking why? Because people weren't going to drink the water I just touched. And using that same logic- the water is hitting our lips and falling back into the fountain anyway. I never understood it. So where does the water from a fountain go? I would assume it connects to a black/gray water line, right?
This story is even worse than OP's.
JoCoAg09
AG
Someone should definitely put the scoop in Jello.
MonkeyKnifeFighter
chipotle
MonkeyKnifeFighter said:

Ghost91 said:

Side note - I never use the ice machine, so whatever.
There's your answer. Get out of your own way on this one, let people get touched up if they want to, and enjoy the chaos from a distance.

Better yet, move the scoop on occasion. Then watch from a distance. You're missing out on some real life trolling opportunities here.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Most health codes are written where the scoop has to be in a clean container outside the machine FWIW. Wouldn't bother me personally if it's in the machine.
swc93
AG
Our ice machines all have a plastic holder inside the machine to place the scoop so it doesn't get buried. Placing it on the counter is just dumb.
Ghost91
ac04 said:

you do it so it doesn't get buried and also because its unsanitary. because science. if you'd like to learn more, i suggest google.
But the Google doesn't give me stuff like this:

Quote:

Start hiding stuff from his desk in the ice machine.
MD1993
AG
You should take the scoop and take pictures of it in different locations in the building. Examples good be the men's bathroom, conference room, someones seat. Then print the pictures and post them under the hook.

Then enjoy the chaos.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
Agreed, I used to work at Applebee's and there was a hangy thing for the scoop inside the machine. Outside the machine is dirtier IMO because who knows what could land on it.

Also you should have seen how much trouble I got in for using a glass to scoop ice once!!!
RyanAg08
AG
Doesn't the scoop being inside the machine also help keep it sanitary because the cold air will slow bacterial growth?
Talon2DSO
AG
take a picture of the scoop (or find a similar one) in the bathroom. like sitting atop the sink. then anonymously post the pic alongside his passive-aggressive note.
Flashdiaz
AG
I used to work in a movie theater and would routinely put people in the ice machine and hold the lid shut.
PrincessButtercup
AG
Jersey Girl said:

Agreed, I used to work at Applebee's and there was a hangy thing for the scoop inside the machine. Outside the machine is dirtier IMO because who knows what could land on it.

Also you should have seen how much trouble I got in for using a glass to scoop ice once!!!

Yep! I got in trouble for the same exact thing! So there's apparently something going on there, but I don't recall what.
EastSideAg2002
RyanAg08 said:

Doesn't the scoop being inside the machine also help keep it sanitary because the cold air will slow bacterial growth?
The OP should spread a rumor that it was shown on Mythbusters that the cold will kill the bacteria and viruses.
MonkeyKnifeFighter
chiken
AG
the retaliatory suggestions are making my engorged heart pitter patter with glee.
Hotard06
AG
PrincessButtercup said:

Jersey Girl said:

Yep! I got in trouble for the same exact thing! So there's apparently something going on there, but I don't recall what.

This is because servers and bartenders have a tendency to do things in a rushed manner, and will occasionally bang a glass on the side or edge of the ice pit while scooping. If this happens, you have to empty the entire thing to make sure you're not scooping glass out with the ice.
hillcountryag86
AG
What is, "... one of those orange gay bodybuilders." ??
chiken
AG
hillcountryag86 said:

What is, "... one of those orange gay bodybuilders." ??
Google image search "Arnold Schwarzenegger body building" and then you'll knoe.
PrincessButtercup
AG
That wasn't the reason I was given. It was something about sanitation but I don't remember what. I do remember hearing your explanation as one of the reasons they say not to use the cup to scoop on Bar Rescue.
John Francis Donaghy
PrincessButtercup said:

Jersey Girl said:

Glassware can chip while scooping ice, and leave little shards of glass in the glass you scooped with, or in the ice, where it can be scooped into the next person's drink when their server gets their ice.
PrincessButtercup
AG
The places I worked didn't have glass cups. See my response above. There was another reason.
FCBlitz
Take the scoop. Put down into your pants and rub it around all nice and good then put it back up on the wall. Repeat this 1x per week.

Use your own scoop from now on. Laugh at everyone one else.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.