Anyone had a vasectomy done?

16,861 Views | 159 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Texmid
3 William 56
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
RockTXAggie said:

prepyag03 said:

yep, but only have 3 kids. i built up my sympathy for weeks and the day of, i was in and out in 15 mins. as i was walking out, my wife goes "that's it? they just let you walk out too? you're taking your son to baseball practice tonight." i never had any pain other than when they clipped the tubes in the procedure...that felt like a kick to the nuts each time.

Do you have periodic followups to make sure the procedure is successful? I have no idea how this stuff works.
i had one to make sure i was firing blanks, but haven't had any since. that was in 2011...maybe it's time to get it checked again.
proc
AG
There is a vas deferens between a good vasectomy and a bad one.
VinnyTAMU
AG
VinnyTAMU
AG
proc
AG
VinnyTAMU said:

RockTXAggie said:

Do you have periodic followups to make sure the procedure is successful? I have no idea how this stuff works.
Only one test, 16 weeks out.
Same. Really the only time in your life you can walk into a waiting room full of people, and hand a cute young receptionist a cup of your ejaculate without getting arrested.
jamotoe1
I'd imagine you could at a fertility clinic as well.
OregonAggie
AG
I've had one and I've also called on a lot of Urologists in Texas. Tell me where you are and I'll refer you to a good one.

There's about a 99% success rate and I've definitely heard of failures. Make sure you give a sample after the procedure and go see a Uro instead of a family practice guy. It ups your success chance and also reduces the risks of having a botched up surgery.

TPS_Report
AG
I believe there's a DIY kit at Home Depot. X-Acto knife, pliers, wire cutters, and duct tape. I suggest a small can of spray paint for huffing to deal with the pain.
Wyoming Aggie
AG
OregonAggie said:

I've had one and I've also called on a lot of Urologists in Texas. Tell me where you are and I'll refer you to a good one.

There's about a 99% success rate and I've definitely heard of failures. Make sure you give a sample after the procedure and go see a Uro instead of a family practice guy. It ups your success chance and also reduces the risks of having a botched up surgery.

I'm in Celina, north of Plano and Frisco.

What does it run? Does insurance cover it or is it an elective surgery?
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Failure rate is 1/2000, much lower than condoms or the pill. It definitely happens but is very rare. The biggest cause of failure is not going back for your post op check and having a few rounds left in the chamber

There is also a huge thread in the outdoor board about getting it done
Texmid
AG
I had it done about 10 years ago. Had sick leave to burn so did it during the middle of the week. There was not much pain the day of the procedure. However, the next day it felt like you had just been kicked squarely in the balls all day long. The doctor told me to stop on the way home and buy two bags of frozen peas and a 12-pack of beer. He said that the next day I would need to grab a beer and one bag of frozen peas. Open the beer and place the peas on my balls. Every time you finish a beer swap out the bags of peas. Unfortunately, I should have bought a case of beer because the 12-pack didn't last very long. The following day I played golf and felt great, aside from the hangover.

Edit to add: Don't even bother getting the prescription filled.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Yeah, but we all play golf hungover most times. Especially on the weekend.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
If you're lady friend is taking a basting from your ovary baster on the regular, she might notice a decrease in the protein content after the operation.
austinAG90
AG
Most insurance plans will cover it - I don't have cheap Obama Insurance so don't know about that. It was no big deal when I did mine back in 2001. Like above said - rest for a weekend with peas and should be no issues. I couldn't go back in for test until i shot 30 times minimum was what my doc told me. Wife appreciates not having to worry about BC and you won't have to worry about knocking up your young secretary!

Good luck
OregonAggie
AG
Insurance should cover it but all that is also subject to deductibles. The office will verify all that and tell you. I think mine was under $100 out of pocket.

I would see Ken Goldberg in Lewisville if you don't mind driving an extra 15 minutes compared to the others I lost. He's been practicing for decades and could do this in his sleep.

Here's some others:

-Dr Lieman or Dr Mark Allen at North Dallas Urology in Plano
-Dr Michael Gross at UCNT in Plano
-Dr John Fairbanks at UCNT in Carrollton
-Dr Jaderlund at USMD in Denton
-Dr Michael Wierschem in Plano (Ag of that means anything to you)

Picking any urologist over a family practice would be my advice if none of these guys work for you.
Cowboy1990
Did it a couple of years after having two kids. One of the best decisions I've ever made. Highly recommend it.
Your Mom And Them
Had it done two years ago. Felt like they were yanking my stomach out through my nutsack. When the doc says that you're gonna feel a little tug...he's being nice. It's a full on yank! Recovery wasn't bad at all...didn't feel a thing. Balls swelled up a little and turned purple, but no pain at all afterwards.
histag10
AG
isnt there a urologist in Texas with a very punny name? I seem to remember this coming up on here before.
3 William 56
AG
histag10 said:

isnt there a urologist in Texas with a very punny name? I seem to remember this coming up on here before.

Richard Chopp
marble rye
AG
ColinAggie said:

Just admit that you just prefer to raw dog it.

Who doesnt?

I want my tubes tied...but I figure the change is on its way.
histag10
AG
prepyag03 said:

histag10 said:

Richard Chopp

THANK YOU!!!!
PrincessButtercup
AG
prepyag03 said:

histag10 said:

Richard Chopp

That's incredible. If your name is Dick Chopp, you're pretty much required to give vasectomies.
Talon2DSO
AG
My friend Michael did at the request of his then GF. Then he had it reversed. Then he got one again. Snip snap Snip snap.
PrincessButtercup
AG
Really wish I had the laugh cry
Ogre09
AG
If you think you might ever get married, hold off.
Yes, one of my best decisions in life.

Went to Dr. Dick Chopp...Got the t-shirt.
Wyoming Aggie
AG
OregonAggie said:

Insurance should cover it but all that is also subject to deductibles. The office will verify all that and tell you. I think mine was under $100 out of pocket.

I would see Ken Goldberg in Lewisville if you don't mind driving an extra 15 minutes compared to the others I lost. He's been practicing for decades and could do this in his sleep.

Here's some others:

-Dr Lieman or Dr Mark Allen at North Dallas Urology in Plano
-Dr Michael Gross at UCNT in Plano
-Dr John Fairbanks at UCNT in Carrollton
-Dr Jaderlund at USMD in Denton
-Dr Michael Wierschem in Plano (Ag of that means anything to you)

Picking any urologist over a family practice would be my advice if none of these guys work for you.

Thank you for the research, my friend. I'm going to look into those guys tonight.
OregonAggie
AG
Ogre09 said:

I agree with this but he seems pretty determined to do it. I think he better expect to have a provider or two tell him they may not want to perform the surgery.
Wyoming Aggie
AG
Ogre09 said:

Yeah, I forgot to say I don't like the idea of marriage much either.

The way I see it, if I ever do get married, I'd rather have the vasectomy done already before I even begin the relationship. That way the chick will know what she's getting into so she can't come at me later and want a divorce. She'll know that kids were never happening in the first place.
PrincessButtercup
AG
So uh...

Wyoming Aggie
AG
OregonAggie said:

Ogre09 said:

I agree with this but he seems pretty determined to do it. I think he better expect to have a provider or two tell him they may not want to perform the surgery.

You think I may have some resistance? I might see your point if I was 23 but I'm 33. Either way I'll take your advice and prepare to talk to multiple providers.
Wyoming Aggie
AG
PrincessButtercup said:

So uh...

MonkeyKnifeFighter
PrincessButtercup
AG
Wyoming Aggie
AG
PrincessButtercup said:

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.