Family dog kills infant in San Marcos

12,719 Views | 100 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Dread Pirate Roberts
OregonAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How is that dog still alive? I would've ventilated that dog with every round in my rifle.
Bocephus
AG
Beckdiesel03 said:

How do you nap through a dog attack unless your on drugs or drunk? I'm pretty sure I would hear an animal attack and my infant screaming.

Ding ding ding!! Guaranteed there is more to this story.
histag10
AG
Bocephus said:

Beckdiesel03 said:

How do you nap through a dog attack unless your on drugs or drunk? I'm pretty sure I would hear an animal attack and my infant screaming.

Ding ding ding!! Guaranteed there is more to this story.

my dog bites/plays with his toys without making any notion that he will attack. It's possible that dog killed the child on the first bite, where there would be no screaming. Also, the dog can bite without growling first.
marble rye
AG
Gramercy Riffs said:

It's incredible how different the posts are when it's not a pit bull.

Hahaha hahahahahaha!!!

And kids ruin everything.
Ags4DaWin
Max06 said:

That poor dad is going to have some serious guilt issues after this. I CANNOT imagine having to live with that.

Watch for the dad's suicide in about a year. Hope it doesn't happen but statistically likely. Hard to believe that he didn't wake up. If the dog hurts the kid the kid is going to scream, unless the dog treated the baby like a chew toy and snapped the neck first.

Very likely that the dog did not attack, but "played" with the baby, resulting in fatal injuries. Like a killer whale "playing" with a seal until it dies and then the whale goes off without even eating the thing. Regardless of how much I loved my dogs they were never alone with the kids as babies. If the baby was within reach of the dog there was supervision until the kid was old enough that he/she was giving the dogs commands. And then at that point the kid was the one feeding the dog so the dog would view him/her as a superior.

Even good dogs are by their nature predators designed to kill other animals. And it's in their nature to "play" with smaller animals and that "play" can result in fatal injuries. And that includes all dogs, pits, Rottweilers, labs, all of them.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
62strat said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

You let babies sleep pretty much wherever they decide to close their eyes. The bouncer is not relevant to this story.
It is very relevant. A baby sleeping in a crib or pack n play would have not been killed by the dog. Sleeping on a bouncer unattended with a dog in the house is not a safe place, and as this father has learned, carries this risk.

We didn't let our babies (when infant age) sleep in a bouncer or on floor unattended and we just had cats! The cats like to sleep on warm humans, and we didn't want to risk a cat hopping up on infant and sleeping on its face.

Now I don't know the details of where the parent was in relation to dog/child, and why he didn't hear anything, etc, but obviously, it said he was sleeping... For crying out loud, parents, I don't care how gentle or kind-hearted you think your dog is, big dogs can kill a baby very easily, and not viciously or on purpose. Don't leave a baby unattended with a big dog (or any dog or cat really) in the house if it's accessible by the pet.

Parent sleeping or in and out of room = unattended.

When babies nap, parents tend to try and get stuff done, whether it be chores or get a nap in themselves. Put your child in a safe place if you aren't going to remain there in the room with them. It's such a simple habit to get into, and would have prevented this horrible tragedy.

For the pet free homes, let your kid sleep where he lies.

I said the bouncer wasn't relevant, not the dog.
Señor Chang
AG
Would a body be "cold to the touch" after 20 minutes?
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
Seor Chang said:

That was the biggest red flag for me.
03_Aggie
62strat said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

You let babies sleep pretty much wherever they decide to close their eyes. The bouncer is not relevant to this story.
It is very relevant. A baby sleeping in a crib or pack n play would have not been killed by the dog. Sleeping on a bouncer unattended with a dog in the house is not a safe place, and as this father has learned, carries this risk.

We didn't let our babies (when infant age) sleep in a bouncer or on floor unattended and we just had cats! The cats like to sleep on warm humans, and we didn't want to risk a cat hopping up on infant and sleeping on its face.

Now I don't know the details of where the parent was in relation to dog/child, and why he didn't hear anything, etc, but obviously, it said he was sleeping... For crying out loud, parents, I don't care how gentle or kind-hearted you think your dog is, big dogs can kill a baby very easily, and not viciously or on purpose. Don't leave a baby unattended with a big dog (or any dog or cat really) in the house if it's accessible by the pet.

When babies nap, parents tend to try and get stuff done, whether it be chores or get a nap in themselves. Put your child in a safe place if you aren't going to remain there in the room with them. It's such a simple habit to get into, and would have prevented this horrible tragedy.

For some reason your overly conservative view isn't shocking. Are you the one that has your kids sleeping with heart, video and sound monitors even though they're 10?
Post removed:
by user
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
No doubt this is a sad story, and I hope this is truly just a terrible accident and not preconceived, but did the baby not make any noise while it was being killed? Unless the dad was taking a nap far away from it it's hard to imagine he wouldn't have woken up from the noise from the baby or dog.

Edit: Hadn't read through the thread to see this had been questioned
Aries
I've held enough dead babies to know that they don't turn cold after 20 minutes. Curious to see what the investigation finds.
62strat
AG
03_Aggie said:

62strat said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

For some reason your overly conservative view isn't shocking. Are you the one that has your kids sleeping with heart, video and sound monitors even though they're 10?

My oldest is barely over 2. Also, we took, and are still taking the simple precaution of not letting them sleep unattended while accessible to the animal in the house, so we have avoided this horrible situation.
62strat
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

62strat said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

thats confusing. The bouncer is relevant. If the child was in a crib, it would have not been killed.
histag10
AG
62strat said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

62strat said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

thats confusing. The bouncer is relevant. If the child was in a crib, it would have not been killed.

That's not necessarily true.
The Fife
FIDO*98* said:

Ervin Burrell said:

In before 8 pages lambasting the father, even though many on here could/would/have easily done the same.

I'm sure his guilt and suffering is unimaginable, but, I'd wouldn't leave my infant child in the same room as a full size dog any more than I'd leave a loaded pistol laying around with a toddler.

This, and same for our medium breed. Even now that the dog has been comfortable around him for months now, the baby grabs and pulls pretty much anything and the last thing I want is the dog reacting to getting its fur pulled hard.
jopatura
AG
My corgi has been stress tested by my toddler in almost every imaginable situation. When we brought a new baby home, he visibly reacted to every sound the baby made in her bassinet downstairs. He's even tried jumping into the basket and nearly made it once through a series of climbs on the couch. Even though this dog is great with kids, I can't trust him around the baby for a long, long time. Luckily I didn't expect to trust him.

The only foolproof method is to never leave dog and baby alone together, no matter the containment device for the baby. A German shepherd is going to be able to get into a bassinet or pack n play if he's very motivated.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
62strat said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

62strat said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

You're totally right. A large dog could never jump into a crib, and a cat could never lay on a kids face while they're in a crib.

The best thing for a child (safety wise) is to not have any animals in the house.
Come Out Roll
AG
jopatura said:

My corgi has been stress tested by my toddler in almost every imaginable situation. When we brought a new baby home, he visibly reacted to every sound the baby made in her bassinet downstairs. He's even tried jumping into the basket and nearly made it once through a series of climbs on the couch. Even though this dog is great with kids, I can't trust him around the baby for a long, long time. Luckily I didn't expect to trust him.

The only foolproof method is to never leave dog and baby alone together, no matter the containment device for the baby. A German shepherd is going to be able to get into a bassinet or pack n play if he's very motivated.

Wrong.
The only FOOLPROOF method is to not have a pet while you have infants. Wife and I at the time made a pact that we would have NO pets until our kids were old enough to at least provide simple commands and feed the dog.
histag10
AG
Come Out Roll said:

jopatura said:

Wrong.
The only FOOLPROOF method is to not have a pet while you have infants. Wife and I at the time made a pact that we would have NO pets until our kids were old enough to at least provide simple commands and feed the dog.

You sound like you would make a horrible pet owner. I bet if you had a pet, and your wife got pregnant, you'd get rid of your pet.
Woody2006
AG
Gramercy Riffs said:

It's incredible how different the posts are when it's not a pit bull.
Bocephus
AG
We are to believe that the guy slept through a dog mauling a baby, THEN he woke up and found the baby cold to the touch (which would take HOURS).

Not buying this story for a second. Baby may have been mauled by the dog then put in the bouncer after he was dead. Baby may have been left outside overnight by a stoned or drunk dad and mauled by wild animals, then put in the bouncer. No way this happened over 20 minutes during a cat nap.
Ragoo
AG
Idk if this has been posted but if the father was asleep is it possible the child was choking/coughing and the dog was simply trying to help?
Beckdiesel03
AG
It was only two weeks ago in San Antonio a couple took their toddler into the ER for a dog attack, only it was the boyfriend who sexually assaulted and beat the baby so there story obviously didn't check out. It was the same damn thing. Animal control got the dog and it was friendly and not aggressive. Hence my skepticism. I'm sticking to my originally BS of him not hearing anything.
Ragoo
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

62strat said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

62strat said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

You're totally right. A large dog could never jump into a crib, and a cat could never lay on a kids face while they're in a crib.

The best thing for a child (safety wise) is to not have any animals in the house.
or, you know.... adult supervision at all times.
62strat
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

62strat said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

62strat said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

You think I have the foresight to move my baby from the floor or bouncer in fear of a cat sitting on his face (or dog mauling him if I had one), so I then move baby to his room, put the cat (or dog) in there with him, then close the door and leave?

Man you must think I'm the dumbest of the dumb.

Read my text you goof. I said "Don't leave a baby unattended with a big dog (or any dog or cat really) in the house if it's accessible by the pet." You see that bold part? That's kind of important to my statement. A baby in a crib in a room with an open door is.. well, scientist say, accessible by a pet.

I also said "Put your child in a safe place if you aren't going to remain there in the room with them" If a dog can get in the child's room, is that a safe place? Come on.. think real hard now.. Does your dog open doors?

I'm done here. A baby should absolutely never be within a dog's reach if the parent doesn't have eyes on it, period (arguably, infants or toddlers should not be accessible at all to some dogs). This dad was asleep, case closed. He's guilty of making a stupid mistake, (it sounds like he may be guilty of fabricating a story). It's harsh, it sucks, but he'll never do it again.

BBQ4Me
AG
I've done the exact same thing (without the horrible consequence) with my two dogs in the house. Babies fall asleep in bouncers and jumpers. You let them sleep. And as a sleep-deprived parent, you nap when the baby naps. I would have never imagined my dogs attacking my baby and I doubt this guy did as well
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Relax man, I'm just pushing your buttons.
ac04
UMichAg said:

I've done the exact same thing (without the horrible consequence) with my two dogs in the house. Babies fall asleep in bouncers and jumpers. You let them sleep. And as a sleep-deprived parent, you nap when the baby naps. I would have never imagined my dogs attacking my baby and I doubt this guy did as well
yeah, that's the whole point
histag10
AG
UMichAg said:

I let my baby fall asleep in the bouncer too, but if I decided to take a nap, I put my dogs out.
Come Out Roll
AG
histag10 said:

Come Out Roll said:

jopatura said:

Wrong.

You sound like you would make a horrible pet owner. I bet if you had a pet, and your wife got pregnant, you'd get rid of your pet.

Wrong on both counts, chief...I'm a GREAT pet owner...have a black lab (going on 12 yrs old (poor guy, has onset hip displasia like a lot of older labs have)...and we would NOT have a pet and try to get pregnant...did you not read what I wrote???
Personal responsibility and all....
boboguitar
AG
histag10 said:

Bouncers are great places for babies to nap.

Though you should never let your baby nap somewhere alone with the dog, nor should you leave you infant alone with a dog ever.

sad, sad story. Breaks my heart

Though not relevant to the story at all- here is what an infant bouncer is:

I feel like some people are likely thinking of something else when they hear bouncer. Maybe thinking of a jumper?
FIFY
Bocephus
AG
Had a pit and a baby at the same time. Dog would try to prevent me from spanking the child when she misbehaved. Never had any problems.
TAMU ‘98 Ole Miss ‘21
Chickenhawk
Bob Loblaws Law Blog said:

Seor Chang said:

That was the biggest red flag for me.

Same. There is more to the story than "I just dozed off and my baby was dead and cold to the touch". It takes more than 20 minutes to turn cold.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.