Hello World War III - What took you so long.

8,409 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by LupinusTexensis
Ag with kids
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

RVAg02 said:

titanmaster_race said:

He said similar. Not identical.

In both cases someone was assassinated who belonged to a vast and powerful nation/empire.
But in that case it was a member of a royal family and a direct heir to the throne, and in this one it was a mid-level bureaucrat. If Dmitry Medvedev had been assassinated, I'd see some similarities. A bureaucrat? Not so much.
I was probably more focused on who the other players are and their intentions. The Austro-Hungarians weren't what made it become a World War, but rather Germany's Imperialistic intentions. Ferdinand's assassination would have slid by if Kaiser Wilhelm wanted it too. He used it as a kickstarter. Or at least that's how I understood it.
Germany wasn't really after any land grab at the outset of WW1, that was more of a WW2 thing.

Leading up to the outset of WW1, Austria-Hungary and Serbia were competing for control of the Balkans, particularly Bosnia and Herzegovina. Austria Hungary annexed Bosnia against Serbia's wishes, and Serbian operatives assassinated Archduke Ferdinand. In response, Austria-Hungary declared war on Serbia, Russia, as an ally of Serbia, Declared war on Austria Hungary. Germany tried to convince Russia to stand down, but Russia declared war on Germany in recognition of Germany's alliance with Austria-Hungary (which Germany had recently prioritized over their now lapsed alliance with Russia), and Germany declared war on Russia out of necessity to defend themselves in the midst of the outbreak of military mobilizations going on all around them.

That is the general gist of the "powder keg" of military alliances in that part of the world that existed at the time of the assassination. Everyone in the region was bound by alliance to enter conflict on behalf of someone else, so the whole thing escalated really quickly.

We call that "NATO", now...
John Francis Donaghy
Ag with kids said:

RVAg02 said:

titanmaster_race said:

In both cases someone was assassinated who belonged to a vast and powerful nation/empire.
But in that case it was a member of a royal family and a direct heir to the throne, and in this one it was a mid-level bureaucrat. If Dmitry Medvedev had been assassinated, I'd see some similarities. A bureaucrat? Not so much.
I was probably more focused on who the other players are and their intentions. The Austro-Hungarians weren't what made it become a World War, but rather Germany's Imperialistic intentions. Ferdinand's assassination would have slid by if Kaiser Wilhelm wanted it too. He used it as a kickstarter. Or at least that's how I understood it.
Germany wasn't really after any land grab at the outset of WW1, that was more of a WW2 thing.

Leading up to the outset of WW1, Austria-Hungary and Serbia were competing for control of the Balkans, particularly Bosnia and Herzegovina. Austria Hungary annexed Bosnia against Serbia's wishes, and Serbian operatives assassinated Archduke Ferdinand. In response, Austria-Hungary declared war on Serbia, Russia, as an ally of Serbia, Declared war on Austria Hungary. Germany tried to convince Russia to stand down, but Russia declared war on Germany in recognition of Germany's alliance with Austria-Hungary (which Germany had recently prioritized over their now lapsed alliance with Russia), and Germany declared war on Russia out of necessity to defend themselves in the midst of the outbreak of military mobilizations going on all around them.

That is the general gist of the "powder keg" of military alliances in that part of the world that existed at the time of the assassination. Everyone in the region was bound by alliance to enter conflict on behalf of someone else, so the whole thing escalated really quickly.

NATO is actually what ensures that that doesn't happen again. It guarantees that the vast majority of the powers that declared war on each other at the outset of WW1, are all bound to be on the same side of any future conflict. It makes one powerful block, big enough to dissuade anyone from action against member nations, instead of a complicated web of one-on-one alliances that can be called on in sequence like dominoes falling before anyone has a chance to step back and take a breath.
swc93
AG
Lighten up Francis.
TheMasterplan

Ag with kids said:

RVAg02 said:

titanmaster_race said:

NATO is actually what ensures that that doesn't happen again. It guarantees that the vast majority of the powers that declared war on each other at the outset of WW1, are all bound to be on the same side of any future conflict. It makes one powerful block, big enough to dissuade anyone from action against member nations, instead of a complicated web of one-on-one alliances that can be called on in sequence like dominoes falling before anyone has a chance to step back and take a breath.
Severe lack of ottoman empire mention in WWI explanation. Britain and France ****ed up the Middle East by creating false countries that fit their interests and tried to make kurds/sunni/shiite muslims get along instead of all of them continuing to do their own thing like they did under the ottoman empire.

I agree wholeheartedly that if Europe could get along better a lot of our modern problems wouldn't exist. They really ****ed **** up in the first half of the 20th century.
John Francis Donaghy
If we tried to cover every aspect of global geopolitics contributing to the outbreak of WW1 it would take an entire page. I tried to keep it brief enough to address the issues at hand and not ramble too much thereafter. I get your point though. And for those interested, learning the history of the World Wars beyond the battlefield X's and O's is actually pretty fascinating, and will give you much greater insight into the political problems we see around the world today. I think it is a criminally under-taught subject in this day and age.
John Francis Donaghy
swc93 said:

Lighten up Francis.
TheMasterplan

If we tried to cover every aspect of global geopolitics contributing to the outbreak of WW1 it would take an entire page. I tried to keep it brief enough to address the issues at hand and not ramble too much thereafter. I get your point though. And for those interested, learning the history of the World Wars beyond the battlefield X's and O's is actually pretty fascinating, and will give you much greater insight into the political problems we see around the world today. I think it is a criminally under-taught subject in this day and age.
Good point man. I always throw this **** back at non-americans when they want to blame the USA for the middle east's problems.
GetThoseKeysMilo
He must have watched the same YouTube video as the Benghazi guys. Offensive videos on YouTube are the clear enemy here.

Stat Monitor Repairman
toucan82 said:

do I need to stock up on bottled water and canned goods?
Yes.
Sticks&Stones
AG
HBCanine08 said:

http://www.unilad.co.uk/news/breaking-russian-ambassador-to-turkey-assassinated-in-ankara/

Good lord that guy has a freakishly long index finger
LupinusTexensis
How young and innocent we all were in 2016
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.