Car scraping the bottom of driveway

12,968 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Old School Wrecking Crew
AgsLv44
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a new car and when I pull in to the driveway or back out of the driveway I end up scraping the bottom of my car. The driveway is quite steep.

I have tried to pull in very slowly & tried sharp angles. Have managed to avoid bottoming out maybe once.

No, I have not had my car lowered.

Calling dealership tomorrow, but wondering if others may have had this issue before.

Any suggestions?

- should have gone with the SUV
riverrataggie
AG
Level out your driveway.

What do you think the dealership will do?
AgsLv44
AG
The driveway is very steep. Home built a year ago & to code.

As far as the dealership goes I thought I would call to see if they could provide any suggestions. Someone suggested a scrape plate so I thought I would ask about that.
brotherbear
AG
Put more air in the tires.
always gig em
AG
Lose weight?
Move?
Move to a house without a crazy ass driveway?
Buy a truck?
But a truck and lift it?
Lose weight?
Sue the former homeowner for some crazy reason, it's the in thing these days.
Park in the street?
Park at the neighbors and walk?
Sell your car and get a mountain bike?
Sell your car and get a mountain bike so you can lose weight?
Cromagnum
AG
Approach steep driveways at as 45 degree angle and go slower.
AgsLv44
AG
Thanks! Great idea!
riverrataggie
AG
You need to get hydraulics. 20inch rims.
bmc13
AG
why didn't you test drive the new car at the new driveway
always gig em
AG
Ok, ok, ok....... seriously, maybe your car has some type of a skid plate that protects the underside (in the front usually) that is what's scraping??? Also, most new cars have some sort of a under molding (fiberglass or plastic) that's usually there for looks to compliment the front of the car. Have you checked for either?
AgsLv44
AG
I have never heard of this happening before or I would have. I will know next time.

I mean I'm not driving around in a low rider or a Ferrari
redd38
AG
Put a board at the bottom of the driveway, partially into the road, to reduce the initial angle.
AgsLv44
AG
No, but someone suggested a skid plate. Guess I was calling it a scrape plate. That's what I will call dealership about.

Suppose I could look up my car & see if they have one.

Unfortunately, it is also scraping the paint underneath the nose of the car.
always gig em
AG
You can tell by the sound if it's metal or plastic and if its plastic it'll just keep wearing down until you get it "evened out" by scraping it enough to where it won't scrape anymore. A metal scrape sounds awful and it's clear when it happens and hopefully you don't have any oil leaks or transmission leaks ( oil stains are dark, black/brownish, transmission fluid is red).

Air up tires or maybe get air adjustable shocks from the dealer (for free considering....)????
AgsLv44
AG
Automotive board made a suggestion I may try. Thanks guys!
Ag_N_Houston
AG
-_-
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
With newer cars, you need to rev the engine and accelerate in order to achieve a little front end lift in the suspension. Try hitting the gas just before you turn into the driveway.
marble rye
AG
I see the **** beacon was sounded.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I'll never know what those four letters were.
marble rye
AG
Rhymes w spit.
Ag_07
AG
#LowRiderProblems
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Frederick Palowaski
AG
Badman
AG
Have you tried backing in?
Ryan the Temp
AG
Install a connector grate that goes over the gutter and smooths out the connection between the driveway and street.
Jack Klompus
AG

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042HOE5O/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687622&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002YQ2GXC&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1HK16YXEKFZVV2DC8GET
AgsLv44
AG
Thanks Jack. Auto Board suggested something like this as well.

Agcrock2005 - I really don't care what you think about me or what you think I may look like, but I am sorry that you find it necessary to use a picture of a special needs student. Kind of sad really.

MasterAggie
AG
quote:
Unfortunately, it is also scraping the paint underneath the nose of the car.
That should be the only thing scraping nothing "underneath" the car is going to scrape because of an incline. What are you driving?
AgsLv44
AG
Lexus ES350 - it is only at the front of the car as far as I can tell. Having it checked out this weekend.

Thought about trying to back it in, but was told this could be a problem as well with dual exhaust I guess.

No problem with SUVs pulling in.
GoneGirl
AG
We had the same problem with the house we were building. Luckily I caught it before we closed. We had some discussions on it, and drug the builder's sales guy out there. Put him in the back seat of my car and drove in the driveway so he could hear it scrape. I let him know it was a deal breaker - I'd rather loose my deposit than have to deal with that every day...

They ripped out the bottom third of the driveway and re-poured. I still have to be careful in my little Altima, especially when I have the kids in the back, but as long as I'm not tearing in and out it's ok.

AgsLv44
AG
Thanks for your response. Initially I thought it could be due to the fact I had a number of things from moving in my trunk. I unloaded the car and it was still happening. Happy to hear you were able to get the problem fixed.
Teslag
AG
Class of 44 shouldn't be driving. Unless your eyesight was restored by swimming in a pool full of Brian Dennehy's cocoons.
agcrock2005
AG
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Oh God...it smells like Bryan Dennehy in here...
Ryan the Temp
AG
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.