People that do this

15,732 Views | 137 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Catch
Pro Sandy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
So what would you tell gays if they tried convincing you to join them, because they want you to feel the same joy they have?
I usually don't discuss sex in public. That's just awkward.
haircut
AG
quote:
So what would you tell gays if they tried convincing you to join them, because they want you to feel the same joy they have?
You could always just say, "I'm not gay"
G.I.Bro
Christians are taught to spread the gospel, that was probably the least intrusive way for her to show she gave a **** about your soul. At least it wasn't a Shi'a Muslim asking
rhoswen
AG
quote:
quote:

I thought it was religion and politics.
rhoswen
AG
quote:
quote:

But if the OP had responded with "I'm not a Christian," the response ends up being a horrified expression or additional personal questions trying to find out what you are.
haircut
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

But if the OP had responded with "I'm not a Christian," the response ends up being a horrified expression or additional personal questions trying to find out what you are.
O'rly? Every time?
rhoswen
AG
Every time I've ever answered a question like that truthfully, yes.
haircut
AG
quote:
Every time I've ever answered a question like that truthfully, yes.
What are you saying or suggesting?
bigblackag12
AG
The times I've been asked that question or similar ones i just say i don't go to church.
reb,
AG
Yikes, that is a a presumptive question, and its effing tacky. Asking whether one has found a good church or not presupposes one is looking for a church because they are an active Christian looking to worship.

A short, non-exhaustive list of folks who would find such a question awkward:

• Jews
  • Muslims
  • Atheists
  • Agnostics
  • Non-active Christians
  • Active Christians with social tact

That is a majority of people. The sort of tone-deaf weirdo who would ask such a question is often the type that actually believes the following short, non-exhaustive list:

• America is a Christian nation
  • You can't have real morals without god
  • Atheists are liberals
  • Christianity in America is being persecuted

Tone-deaf weirdos are naturally susceptible to believing bull**** like that. Your friend's wife is at best a naive fool and at worst a total btch.
Helms96
AG
It is a pre-emptive question, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it is a bad or inappropriate question. As stated earlier in the thread, part of what is expected as a Christian is to minister your faith and witness to others.

It certainly wasn't a rude question and something I personally don't understand why someone would be offended by. If you are not a church goer or even a believer then the correct response would be something along the lines of "No I am not a person that goes to church" or "that is not something that interests me" or even "no I don't believe in God or religion"

There are people though that I have asked that question to and they flat out say no I haven't do you have a good one? or no, I have never been.

There is not much better joy in life though than introducing someone to Jesus and seeing them take that first step into having that relationship that brings such joy into your own life.

When you think of it in those terms that the person is really just trying to offer you something for free that already fills a void in their life it might change your perception.

OP if you are interested in learning more or have questions, then feel free to PM me.
Firearms and LTC Instructor
12thGun.com
Jarhead
CO of P-2 Class of ‘96
reb,
AG
Hard to put it plainer than this.
quote:
part of what is expected as a Christian is to minister your faith and witness to others
It is CREEPY. What the hell is wrong with you? Mind your own ****ing business? How about that?
Pro Sandy
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I thought it was religion and politics.
No, everyone talks about those in public. Everyone seems to love talking about sex too though.
Helms96
AG
quote:
Hard to put it plainer than this.
quote:
part of what is expected as a Christian is to minister your faith and witness to others
It is CREEPY. What the hell is wrong with you? Mind your own ****ing business? How about that?
Wow.... I bet you are a fun person to be around.

So something is wrong with someone for wanting to introduce you to something that brings joy into the lives of millions. Got it.

12thGun.com
Jarhead
CO of P-2 Class of ‘96
reb,
AG
This is a joke, right?

Did you intend to sound like a pusher?
OasisMan
AG
quote:
quote:
Had a friend's wife ask if I've found a good church, yet, as an icebreaker. Politely told her I hadn't found one yet, failed to mention I stopped looking 10 years ago. Do people not realize how awkward this question is given the large percentage of people that are either not Christian or don't go to church, period?
i fail to see your point
Post removed:
by user
Helms96
AG
so now asking someone one time a simple question is being a pusher??? By the way the response was to the OP, not you.

Look man I get it, you have something against religion. That is your choice, but what I really don't get is the blatant anger about it if anyone tries to speak to you about it. Especially if it is just a one off question. I could see it if that person kept on and was harassing about it, but a simple question? Got some anger issues you need to get worked out man.
12thGun.com
Jarhead
CO of P-2 Class of ‘96
haircut
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Had a friend's wife ask if I've found a good church, yet, as an icebreaker. Politely told her I hadn't found one yet, failed to mention I stopped looking 10 years ago. Do people not realize how awkward this question is given the large percentage of people that are either not Christian or don't go to church, period?
i fail to see your point

Why did you concoct this exchange? I don't see where my response was ever in the same post as what you have quoted.. Here is the quote I was responding to...

quote:

haircut
AG
quote:
Look man I get it, you have something against religion. That is your choice, but what I really don't get is the blatant anger about it if anyone tries to speak to you about it. Especially if it is just a one off question. I could see it if that person kept on and was harassing about it, but a simple question? Got some anger issues you need to get worked out man.
You'd be hard pressed to find a group of people with such anger hidden behind such a hair trigger.
rhoswen
AG
My issue with witnessing is saying you want to introduce to christ/the truth/joy/etc... the assumption being we've never heard of it before.

Some folks obviously get more upset about a rude question than others, but I think a lot of you ate confusing being offended with being mildly annoyed.
haircut
AG
quote:
My issue with witnessing is saying you want to introduce to christ/the truth/joy/etc... the assumption being we've never heard of it before.
wear a sign or something. How is this such a huge issue? I blame you guys equally for the inability to adjust to social quirks. Is this going to bug you for the rest of your life?

quote:
Some folks obviously get more upset about a rude question than others, but I think a lot of you ate confusing being offended with being mildly annoyed.
you get offended easily. Reb gets angry
rhoswen
AG
It's like you don't even read the posts. I neither get offended nor angry, and most of the time I either sidestep the question or just make something up.
haircut
AG
quote:
It's like you don't even read the posts. I neither get offended nor angry, and most of the time I either sidestep the question or just make something up.
When you perceive someone has asked you a rude question, does that not imply you are offended?
Beer Baron
AG
I've generally found more offense taken by the asking party when they get a response of "I don't go to church; I'm an atheist" than anything demonstrated in this thread. I've answered that question that way 3 times that I can think of, and each time the conversation abruptly stopped and the person fled like they'd just seen me set a bag of kittens on fire.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
quote:
I've generally found more offense taken by the asking party when they get a response of "I don't go to church; I'm an atheist" than anything demonstrated in this thread. I've answered that question that way 3 times that I can think of, and each time the conversation abruptly stopped and the person fled like they'd just seen me set a bag of kittens on fire.

I thought setting kittens on fire was what atheists did for jollies.
Beer Baron
AG
We do, but we do that in secret, in the woods, naked. Not in public. That's why it's so weird when they look at me that way.
Frederick Palowaski
AG
quote:
There is not much better joy in life though than introducing someone to Jesus and seeing them take that first step into having that relationship that brings such joy into your own life.

Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
quote:

Seeing people learn to accept reality and cut bronze age mythology out of their life is pretty good.

Sweet Clementine
Maroonedinaustin
AG
Lots of judgement going on in this thread by people who consider themselves christian. Just sayin.
Sweet Clementine
AG
Okay I have a blank post that I can't seem to fix.

But anyway, like I said previously I do go to church and I still hate that question. That is mainly because when I answer that question the Baptists/fundamentalists that are typically asking the question don't like my response of "I'm Episcopalian." Most of the people that I have encountered that ask about my religion or beliefs are upset when they hear them. According to them I might as well be practicing witchcraft because I don't follow their strict interpretation of the Bible.

My beliefs are what they are, and honestly they are no one's business but my own. I believe that the best way to minister as a Christian is to live a good life and do good things, not constantly shove your beliefs down someone else's throat.
PrincessButtercup
AG
I used to do this sometimes, but with no ill intention. I grew up in a small town where everyone went to church somewhere, and it was kind of like asking someone's major. And then, my undergraduate degree was from a Christian college, and my minor was in religion...so, again, it was just very common (and I don't mean Christian college like Baylor or TCU). Since graduating, I'm much more aware of introductory questions and don't ask a new person that. If we're talking for a while, and we've touched on something religious based where it seems they are a christian, I'll ask if they go somewhere around the area. My best friend at my Christian college was an atheist, so he probably was asked a lot. He never seemed to feel awkward, and no one said anything negative. He is probably one of the best people I'll ever know, and I don't know anyone who would react negatively to him saying he's an atheist. We talk about religion occasionally, but it doesn't have to be argumentative.

When I did ask people that more regularly, I was younger and had no idea it could be taken badly. I just didn't know that might upset someone. I guess because the answer didn't matter to me, I didn't think it'd matter to them, but I'm more aware now I guess.
Beer Baron
AG
A lot of people are probably asking innocently for the reasons PB described. But for others there is definitely a correct answer they're looking for, and they're generally weirded out if they don't get it.
reb,
AG
quote:
so now asking someone one time a simple question is being a pusher??? By the way the response was to the OP, not you.

I have nothing against religion per se, what I have something against is multi-level marketing. Nobody wants to come to your theological scentsy party, bud.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.