things that bug you in movies - Godfather

9,481 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by $240 Worth of Pudding
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That is why Part II edges out the first one for me.
wbt5845
AG
quote:
When Michael is in Corleone, Italy and meets Appolonia's father at the outside bar, he asks Fabrizio to translate for him. Why? He speaks perfect Italian.

As a further aside, in the book, Michael explains to Apollonia's father that he is asking for his guard to translate so that he can speaks precisely what he intends to.

BTW - the actress who played Apollonia was 16 when the movie was filmed. Damn.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
lespaul
AG
I've always liked the song "Luna Mezzo Mare"

I always fast forward through the wedding night scene with appolonia as it is creepy. Couldn't they find an older actress?

Also, in the scene where Don Vito is ambushed, it always seems odd to me. Paulie calls in sick (which he later pays dearly for in the leave the gun take the canoli scene), leaving Don Vito's only protector to be his idiot son, Fredo. So clearly the hit was planned. However, if Don Vito hadn't stopped to get fruit, he would've gotten in the car and left before the hitmen appeared. Seems like they would've gotten him right when he leaves the building (they didn't know he was going to get some fruit).

Also, it always seems bizarre at the hospital, when Michael shows up, all the guards left. Why would they all do that without backup? I know they were asked to leave, but at the very lease, stand guard outside. I can't imagine leaving the Don at the hospital alone. Thank goodness Enzo the baker showed up.
COOL LASER FALCON
Anytime I see an orange in any movie, I expect someone to get capped.
Frederick Palowaski
AG
quote:
Also, it always seems bizarre at the hospital, when Michael shows up, all the guards left. Why would they all do that without backup? I know they were asked to leave, but at the very lease, stand guard outside.

The police made them leave. Ya know, the police that were getting paid by the Tattaglia family.
lespaul
AG
I know they were asked to leave, but why not call Sonny and let him know?
Texaggie7nine
quote:
Maybe I'm imagining things but I thought he tried to do just that.
7nine
Claude!
quote:
quote:
When Michael is in Corleone, Italy and meets Appolonia's father at the outside bar, he asks Fabrizio to translate for him. Why? He speaks perfect Italian.

As a further aside, in the book, Michael explains to Apollonia's father that he is asking for his guard to translate so that he can speaks precisely what he intends to.

BTW - the actress who played Apollonia was 16 when the movie was filmed. Damn.

As a further further aside, the book is a pile of schlocky junk. Poorly written and some questionable subplots. Did we really need to spend a few chapters learning that Sonny's widow had an operation to tighten her nethers up? Yes, that's in the book.
bagger05
AG
quote:
The guards who were originally protecting Don Vito were cops, not family men. So when McCloskey pulled them off it was just their boss giving them new instructions.
Tree Hugger
AG
quote:
Did we really need to spend a few chapters learning that Sonny's widow had an operation to tighten her nethers up?

Actually that was one of his mistresses, specifically the bridesmaid that he was banging upstairs after the wedding at the beginning of the film. The book even went as far to explain that she had a "big box" and that since Sonny was hung like an elephant he was the only one who had ever satisfied her.

Also, the guards couldn't call Sonny because cell service was pretty dodgy in Long Island back then.
bagger05
AG
quote:
As a further further aside, the book is a pile of schlocky junk. Poorly written and some questionable subplots. Did we really need to spend a few chapters learning that Sonny's widow had an operation to tighten her nethers up? Yes, that's in the book.
I always tell people that The Godfather (the novel) is a great story but a mediocre book. There are lots of things about it that I really like, though. There is just a lot more detail and background. Book III of the novel is basically the flashback scenes from The Godfather Part II but it goes on further and gives a lot of background on Sonny and his early days in the family business. If you love the movies, you should read the books because it gives lots of additional material not covered elsewhere. Definitely be advised it is not a great work of literature.

Also, it was Sonny's side piece that got her hoo ha tightened up, not his widow. By far the weirdest side plot in the book but there are a few others as well.
aTmAg
AG
In Back to the Future 2, Marty's guitar sequence does not match the first movie. For example, in #2, he never gets onto the speaker and jumps off playing that one cord. Movie ruined.
Texaggie7nine
quote:
In Back to the Future 2, Marty's guitar sequence does not match the first movie. For example, in #2, he never gets onto the speaker and jumps off playing that one cord. Movie ruined.
But Marty #2 was already there in that time as well, changing the past in slight ways. So whatever actions Marty #2 took manipulated past events in such a way that Marty #1 didn't do the performance exactly the same way.
7nine
superunknown
AG
quote:
I did not care for the Godfather.

It insists upon itself, Lois.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Old Biff should not have been able to return to the original 2015 after giving Young Biff the almanac.
wbt5845
AG
In the book - it explains that Don Vito stopped at the fruit cart everyday upon leaving work to buy a piece of fruit. He is always eating oranges in the movie. They knew he'd stop. Turning over the basket of oranges as he tries to escape to the car is symbolic as well.
aTmAg
AG
quote:
quote:
But Marty #2 was already there in that time as well, changing the past in slight ways. So whatever actions Marty #2 took manipulated past events in such a way that Marty #1 didn't do the performance exactly the same way.
That might make sense if he went back in time during the time of the dinosaurs. But nothing Marty #2 did would have kept Marty #1 from stepping on that speaker and jumping off hilariously.
Texaggie7nine
quote:
quote:
quote:
That might make sense if he went back in time during the time of the dinosaurs. But nothing Marty #2 did would have kept Marty #1 from stepping on that speaker and jumping off hilariously.
Haven't you seen or heard of the Butterfly Effect? Marty #2 might have did something that changed how someone interacted with Marty #1 before he did the performance which caused him to think about what he was going to do differently.....

Maybe Marty #1's mind was more preoccupied with something than he was during BTF #1 and he wasn't as into the performance...
7nine
Claude!
Apologies, it was one of Sonny's side pieces, not his widow. Still a freaking odd thing to put in a gangster book.
T Durden
AG
Well, how else do you get the point across in a novel that the guy is really dicked up?

In the movie his wife explained it to her table of friends by using her hands. Extending them further out which made all the girls giggle. Right as Sonny goes off to destroy that pulollypopski.
IDAGG
AG
quote:
quote:
The guards who were originally protecting Don Vito were cops, not family men. So when McCloskey pulled them off it was just their boss giving them new instructions.
As a side note, the actor that played McCloskey (Sterling Hayden) also played General Jack D. Ripper in "Doctor Strangelove" Precious bodily fluids and all.
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
quote:
Well, how else do you get the point across in a novel that the guy is really dicked up?

In the movie his wife explained it to her table of friends by using her hands. Extending them further out which made all the girls giggle. Right as Sonny goes off to destroy that pulollypopski.
Yeah, "dicked up" doesn't mean what you think it means.
T Durden
AG
No reason to get hostile. I didn't invent the term. But in the mid 90s I believe that is how the black community was using that term.

Didn't mean to offend your delicate sensibility "beer leg".
aTmAg
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Haven't you seen or heard of the Butterfly Effect? Marty #2 might have did something that changed how someone interacted with Marty #1 before he did the performance which caused him to think about what he was going to do differently.....

Maybe Marty #1's mind was more preoccupied with something than he was during BTF #1 and he wasn't as into the performance...
If you remember, the butterfly effect involved going WAY the hell back (like the dinosaur age) and changing something. Marty #2 was back only a few hours prior to the enchantment of the sea dance and barely talked to anybody (if anybody). Certainly not Marty #1. Nor did Marty #2 do anything that would make Marty #1 decide to not jump off any speakers that day.
Texaggie7nine
Well the original butterfly effect term was referring to a butterfly in Africa flapping it's wings a few months prior and the chain reaction eventually leading to a hurricane over here.

Point is, any amount of small detail can effect a large change in a short amount of time.

Marty #2 interacted with Biff, his mom, his dad and many others before that prom night happened. All could easily lead to something changing in the way they interacted with Marty #1 before his performance which could easily lead to a change in his attitude while playing.
7nine
aTmAg
AG
quote:
Well the original butterfly effect term was referring to a butterfly in Africa flapping it's wings a few months prior and the chain reaction eventually leading to a hurricane over here.

Point is, any amount of small detail can effect a large change in a short amount of time.

Marty #2 interacted with Biff, his mom, his dad and many others before that prom night happened. All could easily lead to something changing in the way they interacted with Marty #1 before his performance which could easily lead to a change in his attitude while playing.
The story I remember reading was that people would go back in time to hunt dinosaurs right before they died of natural causes or of some dino accident. And that some dude accidentally stepped off the path and onto a butterfly. Then they went back to the future a realized that the other guy won the "recent" presidential election.

Also, if you watch the DVD and behind the scenes, they went out of their way to make sure the enchanment under the seas was exactly like the original movie. They just screwed that part up.
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
quote:
No reason to get hostile. I didn't invent the term. But in the mid 90s I believe that is how the black community was using that term.

Didn't mean to offend your delicate sensibility "beer leg".

You think that's hostile and I'm offended??
That's pretty funny. "Tyler".
T Durden
AG
All good bud. How about that appelonia? Fast forward through that scene? C'mon now.
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
Yeah I'm with you on that one
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.