Texas firefighter shoots 2 dogs on his property

33,024 Views | 299 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Thomas Sowell, PhD
cisgenderedAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
WHO LET THE DOGS OUT!!!!
EFE
AG
quote:
quote:
It appears the murderer's friend says the dogs were attacking a cow. How convenient.

Yeah...in a barn that appears to be secure from coyotes.

Coyotes are predators and opportunist via the path of least resistance. Man made structures are considered a big gtfo for most wild animals. However, town dogs see them as the places where humans put tasty shtt. Learn your ecology bro.
VaultingChemist
AG
quote:
quote:
"Look, that rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!"

http://41.media.tumblr.com/9ff3be3c6eeb35495d483e21f1ff1ed0/tumblr_n499zplqcj1qgsnbzo5_500.jpg
Looks can be deceiving...
marble rye
AG
Do you even east TX coyote, bro?
riverrataggie
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:It appears the murderer's friend says the dogs were attacking a cow. How convenient.

It doesn't matter about the security of the barn. The dog was on his property and he felt they were threatening his livestock. Should be case closed.

Does it suck for the dogs??? yes
Is this guy an idiot for bragging on facebook??? yes
Could have it been handled differently??? probably, but it wasn't.
cledus6150
AG
Its amazing how sensitive people are now days, dogs are another animal they are not humans there is nothing wrong with dispatching one that is doing harm to your property. Any dog seen on my family property is considered to be feral and is shot on sight as we have seen packs chasing both deer and cattle. Of course there is one exception and that is the neighbors little dog, they have a small fluff ball dog that will roam around onto our property as well but he has tags and doesn't chase livestock.
marble rye
AG
It doesn't matter to me if he was justified or not. I take deep satisfaction in knowing that this will follow him the rest of his days. 123,000 shares and in east TX. I'd be surprised if he doesn't receive several beat downs. Firefighters are dog lovers.
EFE
AG
quote:

So where are the pics of these "East Texas" coyotes dude had to shoot that were threatening his daughters show rabbits? We all know where the town dogs pics are...
marble rye
AG
Where did anyone say they were his daughter's??? Does this guy even have kids?
Maximus_Meridius
AG
quote:
It's pretty easy to see who grew up in the country and who didn't. I grew up on a street with about 15 houses bordered by ranch land on both sides.

Growing up we always had problems with dogs running lose.

Had a neighbor who would say that part of living in the country meant that his dog could crap anywhere it wanted.

Some of the other neighbors would let their dogs run lose during the day. They eventually form a pack and will easily separate a cow and a calf from the herd. Some distract the mother while the others kill the calf. Then they all come home at night, eat their dog food, then play with your kids - the perfect family pets. Then they'll do it all over again tomorrow.

A pack of lose domestic dogs will do more harm than coyotes. At the end of the day, the coyote needs to eat. The dogs are doing it for sport. They can easily take down a couple a day.

As much of an animal lover as I am, I am also a realist and know that dogs that roam and go after livestock get shot. Period. Most just disappear. This guy's mistake was posting it online.
Easily the most intelligent post in this thread.
EFE
AG
quote:
Where did anyone say they were his daughter's??? Does this guy even have kids?

Don't change the subject, where are the pictures of the "East Texas" coyotes?
marble rye
AG
Coyotes operate at night, dummy.
EFE
AG
They operate whenever their stomach tells them to, dummy.
ag92tx
quote:

My brother does

I guess imgur is down. But that coyote was killed this morning
marble rye
AG
quote:

So they would or wouldn't go into a dilapidated barn for food?
cisgenderedAggie
What would coyotes be doing in east Texas? It's legal to cross the Sabine without papers.
EFE
AG
quote:
quote:

So they would or wouldn't go into a dilapidated barn for food?

Not likely, barn=man man=guns and stuff. Unless there is no other easier option available, coyote gtfo's and chases a squirrel or steals a ground nesting birds eggs long before he comes in range of the barn.

We need some Ursus up in here to lay down some biologist smack.
histag10
AG
quote:
Its amazing how sensitive people are now days, dogs are another animal they are not humans there is nothing wrong with dispatching one that is doing harm to your property. Any dog seen on my family property is considered to be feral and is shot on sight as we have seen packs chasing both deer and cattle. Of course there is one exception and that is the neighbors little dog, they have a small fluff ball dog that will roam around onto our property as well but he has tags and doesn't chase livestock.

Why would someone living in the country have a small fluff ball of a dog? It doesnt make sense to me.

Also, you would never shoot Max. He fetches beer and we all know he is awesome.
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
Miss Revellie Ma'am is not happy. 98% of Texas Aggies are dog LOVERS. 2% are not.
riverrataggie
AG
Max06
AG
quote:
quote:
It appears the murderer's friend says the dogs were attacking a cow. How convenient.

There's nothing short of an iron box that's "secure" from coyotes. If they're hungry enough, they'll find a way through most anything that's labeled "coyote proof".

Coyotes at least only kill what they can eat, or carry off to feed pups. Dogs just kill for fun. They'll kill/maim everything they can get at and then leave it all to rot.
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
Miss Revellie Ma'am is not happy. 98% of Texas Aggies are dog LOVERS. 2% are not.
We love dogs. That's why we don't let them run free. If they hadn't been shot, these dogs would have been run over.
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
^^
Exactly - we don't shoot 'em to prove we're men.
marble rye
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

There's nothing short of an iron box that's "secure" from coyotes. If they're hungry enough, they'll find a way through most anything that's labeled "coyote proof".

Coyotes at least only kill what they can eat, or carry off to feed pups. Dogs just kill for fun. They'll kill/maim everything they can get at and then leave it all to rot.

But EFE just said they won't go into one. You guys discuss.
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
And for the record despite my handle, I like dogs 75,000 x more than cats.
Tagguy
AG
quote:
And for the record despite my handle, I like dogs 75,000 x more than cats.
I resisted saying anything.
rwtxag83
AG
Bunch of city people on this thread without a clue as to how things work in the country.
ursusguy
AG
Depending on which set of regs you want to play with, yes, domestic rabbits can be legally defined as livestock.

Coyotes have several unique abilities. One being if they can get their head through something, given time, they can generally get their whole body through. Like Max pointed out, if they are hungry enough, they can get into a lot of stuff.

That being said, their diet is so varied (this time of year it is mostly plant based oddly enough), they don't work too hard on a given food item. Close proximity to humans frequently, they can get to where they don't care about human real fast (flip side, only takes 2-3 hazing incidents to reinstill fear of humans). Close proximity to human structures in more rural areas, and the likelihood hood of the issue being dogs and not coyotes starts going up (not to say a coyote won't check out a barn if hungry, or something is really tempting).
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
quote:
Bunch of city people on this thread without a clue as to how things work in the country.

I'd like to spit some Beech-nut in these dudes' eyes.
Slicer97
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

But EFE just said they won't go into one. You guys discuss.

He said they won't if there are easier options available.
marble rye
AG
Why doesn't this guy get some livestock-protection dogs like Anatolians? Then it becomes dog on dog crime and nature just working **** out.
ursusguy
AG
The key here is easier options.
marble rye
AG
Seems rabbits would be the easiest options. Unsecured barn (as indicated by my sarcastic first post about it that Max interpreted to be me saying it was Alcatraz) with anything in it seems a lot easier.
Slicer97
AG
quote:
Why doesn't this guy get some livestock-protection dogs like Anatolians? Then it becomes dog on dog crime and nature just working **** out.

Bullets are cheaper and just as, if not more, effective.
bigtatum
My neighbors cows get in my yard from time to time. I wish I could kill them and have lots of steak.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.