People that call it "soda pop"

9,630 Views | 116 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Smokes With Cigarettes
Post removed:
by user
Ringo88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Generational. Anyone in Texas ordering a cold beverage at a soda fountain ordered a "soda water" and then specified which syrup to add. Other options besides the cola brands included 7-Up, Sprite, root beer and sarsaparilla. Dr. Pepper is very similar to the old sarsaparilla. The use of "pop" in the Midwest referred to either popping the top off a bottle, and/or the fizz from the drink.

My dad is as authentic west Texas as they come. In his house, it was soda water. In his case and mine, that always means Dr. Pepper.

I now live in Atlanta. Here, you order a "coke" and, unless specified differently...it's always a Coke. It's NOT a Texas thing, it's a deep south thing, holding off the yankee advancement of Pepsi-Cola. So stop calling fellow Texans "idiots" for not referring to Dr. Pepper and anything else as "coke". In Texas, we should be proud to call it soda water instead of the generic term "coke". To me, that would be selling out.
Post removed:
by user
bmc13
AG
quote:
In Texas, we should be proud to call it soda water instead of the generic term "coke". To me, that would be selling out.

one of my grandmas always called it coke, the other one RC cola or diet rite for diet. both grew up in Texas. keep your west texas things over there.

yes, you're right that dr pepper is not considered a cola and is more in the root beer/sarsaparilla family
Ronnie Gardocki
quote:
Generational. Anyone in Texas ordering a cold beverage at a soda fountain ordered a "soda water" and then specified which syrup to add. Other options besides the cola brands included 7-Up

Exactly what I was saying earlier.
TexasRebel
AG
Me, too.

"Coke" is an Atlanta, GA thing.
Dr. Faustus
AG
quote:
Me, too.

"Coke" is an Atlanta, GA thing.

Yep. I've lived all over the Deep South and in Texas, and the first time I ever heard "coke" used to refer to anything other than Coca Cola was in the ATL.
GigEmBevo
Would you like a coke?

Yes.

What kind?

Dr Pepper.
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
Would you like some coke?

Yeah what kind?

crack
Poptartin
Pop
Motel California
S
quote:
Soda water
B-1 83
AG
quote:

I'll bet he wore an onion on his belt, too! One of those big yellow ones. They couldn't get the white ones because of the war....."

My grandmother called it so-deee water.
Smokes With Cigarettes
I still enjoy asking for a liter of cola at restaurants just to see if they get the joke.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.