Best steakhouse in the state?

14,735 Views | 88 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by CanyonAg77
SWCBonfire
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm not nuanced enough to appreciate meat aged x vs y amount of days. A good steak dry aged zero days is pretty damn good and anything above that is diminishing returns for people who want the experience. And all the sides at fancy steak places are too damn rich/fatty. Austin land and cattle on congress is about as fancy as I go voluntarily.

And the bar in Bohannon 's is exceptional, I'll give them that. Stop in for drinks.
Ogre09
AG
Capital Grille in Houston and Reata in Ft Worth are best 2 I've been to
TecRecAg
AG
Four Winds in Wills Point
att hello
Austin - III forks, Eddie V's, Trio @ Four Seasons (the cold smoked ribeye is awesome)
Dallas - Pappas Bros
Best everyday chain - Saltgrass
DB Coach
AG
Perini Ranch
Lonesome Dove
Lowake
rondis23
AG
Anything expensive. It has to be good.
MRB10
AG
The new york strip steak at Del Frisco's in Addison is by far the best steak I've ever had. We've tried Bob's, Perry's, Mortons, NIck and Sam's, Capital Grille, Chamberlains, Ruth's Chris, and a few others and they don't come close.
Teslag
AG
Perinis or Lowake
Baby Billy
AG
Arby's
aeon-ag
quote:
Texas Roundhouse on University Drive in College Station.
BARF!!!!!!
ISEN AG
AG
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
quote:
Big Texan - Amarillo

EOT

I was unbelievably underwhelmed at the Big Texan.
+ a bazillion

Anyone who thinks Big Texan is anything more than mediocre, exactly how drunk were you that day?

The guy that runs Big Texan is brilliant. He's a master of hype, everyone in the world knows about the place, and you can get better stakes at any Logan, Saltgrass, Outback, etc. I have all the respect for him and the success he's made of the place, but it's A+ hype in a B- atmosphere with solid C steaks. Heck, it doesn't even make the top 20 of Amarillo restaurants on Trip Advisor.

Perini Ranch is the only EOT. And frankly, the best steak I ever had was at that commie lib Ted Turner's restaurant in Colorado Springs, CO. (Ted's Montana Grill)
ElCheAg
AG
Purely on the merits of the beef, I really enjoyed Schula's Cowboy Ribeye
GMM
I don't ever go to those really fancy steakhouses so my vote would be for The Keg. I know it's a chain, but it's really good.
TSUAggie
BeveledAg likes tube steak.
aggie_wes
AG
The best steak I've had was at Grace in Fort Worth.
End Of Message
AG
Visit Bohanans frequently. But, if youre in San Antonio, visit La Frite and order the Steak Au Poivre.
GoneGirl
AG
quote:
Big Texan - Amarillo

EOT
I must say, I snorted my dr. pepper at this.
GoneGirl
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Big Texan - Amarillo

EOT

I was unbelievably underwhelmed at the Big Texan.
+ a bazillion

Anyone who thinks Big Texan is anything more than mediocre, exactly how drunk were you that day?

The guy that runs Big Texan is brilliant. He's a master of hype, everyone in the world knows about the place, and you can get better stakes at any Logan, Saltgrass, Outback, etc. I have all the respect for him and the success he's made of the place, but it's A+ hype in a B- atmosphere with solid C steaks. Heck, it doesn't even make the top 20 of Amarillo restaurants on Trip Advisor.

Perini Ranch is the only EOT. And frankly, the best steak I ever had was at that commie lib Ted Turner's restaurant in Colorado Springs, CO. (Ted's Montana Grill)
We went because everyone said it was the place to go. Steaks were mediocre. For what we paid, we could have gone to III Forks in Houston and had a much better experience. My husband's "medium" steak was charred through. We sent it back (meanwhile, the rest of us had to eat, or let it get cold.) They brought him the wrong beer, and the Texas flags they have on the steaks had the flag upside down. WTF? Is this Texas?

They brought him a new steak that was RAW - I'm a big believer that if it isn't mooing, it's over-cooked, and I wouldn't have eaten this one. So we sent it back. A manager brought the third one - joked about the third time being the charm. I took the kids to the gift shop to entertain them since they'd been in the car all day and we'd finished our meal about half an hour previous. The third one was right, but by that time, we were all just ready to leave - partially because our server couldn't make it back to bring anyone new drinks.

Atmosphere was interesting, but it was definitely a once and done kind of thing. Wont even recommend it to anyone. NOW, on the way back, Siri and Yelp led us to this place called Jorges Taco Garcia - awesome Mexican food. If you're in Amarillo, skip the Big Texan and go there. You'll be happier, and leave full, and with more money in your pocket.
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
this place called Jorges Taco Garcia - awesome Mexican food. If you're in Amarillo, skip the Big Texan and go there. You'll be happier, and leave full, and with more money in your pocket.
Yes, definitely approve of Tacos Garcia. Also Coyote Bluff for hamburgers. Really don't have a good non-chain steakhouse in Amarillo. Though the cafe out at the stockyards is supposed to be good. Blue Sky is also a pretty good hamburger place if Coyote Bluff is closed or its 30 seats are full. Tyler's BBQ on Paramount is very good, just don't show up late in the day. He doesn't cook any more than we can sell in a day, and when it's gone, it's gone.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.