What if your kid was emo?

1,569 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by maroon barchetta
DanTheMan55
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Or do any of you have emo kids?
Are any of you emo?

I'd beat the emo out of him.
Sweet Clementine
AG
I would beat the emo out of my kid as well.

But then again, I'm 24 and single, so what do I know???
AggieDubs
probably give him/her up for late adoption
Houston98
the red furry monster?
aCosmicBandito
AG
They would just 'act' like an idiot because I certainly wouldn't let him dress and cut his hair so he can look like one too.
Texags is garbage
I'd tell him that a&m football isn't everything.
AggieDubs
^
|
|
might need to start including basketball in there as well
ro828
First and foremost, blood is blood. I'd stand by my children no matter what. Even if they went to Texas Tech. On basketball scholarships.

As to the emo thing, are we looking at a real emo or a poser. Real emos are, in my humble opinion, mentally ill. To me emo and cutter are the same.

If the child just wants to wear black clothing and mourn Curt Kobain, that would come under the heading of this too shall pass. Of course I could shame a child out of this by showing up where their goth/emo/whatever friends are dressed in black from head to toe.
12thManAggie
AG
Dan, aren't you emo??

"...and the Aggie fans just go absolutely bonkers!!"
chicken of the sea
ro828 is emo
swimmerbabe11
quote:
To me emo and cutter are the same.

NOT TRUE. Please learn the facts about this disease before throwing it across a genre of people. Yes, some of them are, some of them pretend to be cutters only for attention, but ANYONE can cut. Anyone can self-abuse.

Cutting is only one facet of a disease.
Tmoneyag99
AG
Pray, Light Candles and move my kid to the country where the OTHER kids would beat the Emo out of him her and she/he knew that if she/he wanted friends they'd cut that crap out.

Cuz who wants a kid that's different than the rest. That's just wrong. I want my kid to be EXACTLy like all the other turds in this world.
MonkeyKnifeFighter
swimmerbabe11

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-harm

HatTrickHero411
quote:
Now me, I'd be laughing at myself, probably because I had a kid. Then I'd cry myself to sleep every night because, well, I have a kid.

hahaha
Sweet Clementine
AG
Hat trick, what does the 411 in your name stand for?
swimmerbabe11
Its just a stereotype that bothers me, because it pervades culture of all people.

How many preppy football players have a tendency to hit walls to deal with their frustration and depression? This is often a sign of self injury tendencies, but because they don't actually use a knife to do so..it's okay.

Likewise, an emo kid CAN be severely depressed and not touch themself in a harmful way once, but then get that label just because of the attitude they convey through music and clothes.

jokershady
AG
if my kid was emo, id ask him this....

why are you acting like such a melancholy, depressed brat....is it cause.....

...you have a cell phone?
...you have a roof over your head?
...you can afford to eat food every night?
...you have parents?
...you have a computer?
...you have a television?
...you dont have to pay rent to live under my roof?
...you have a car? (age depending)
...you go to a decent school?
...you can afford nice clothes? even though you choose to buy ****ty looking ones...
...you have health insurance?
...you have money set aside by your parents for college?

and i could go on......
MonkeyKnifeFighter
jokershady
AG
or maybe im confusing emo with goth....or maybe a mixture....

damn kids.....
swimmerbabe11
I know I know, just pet peeves of mine.

And Joker, material posessions often have nothing to do with depression either. Attitudes like that are the reasons that mental illnesses are so widely misrepresented and misunderstood.

Okay, now I am done with this soapbox.
Tmoneyag99
AG
I like you're point of view Joker!

Without going into detail I grew up poor in deep east texas and put myself through school.
Plenty of people do it, so I dont think anything special of myself.

HOWEVER, my fiance's bro is an emo type and his dad paid for 4years of JuCo while the kid lived at home(yeah my thoughts too) and complains b/c the dad cut him off and blames his dad for his life being a shambles. You have NO idea how bad this disgusts me. I have no sympathy for a 27yo man that lives at home with his mother wife and child. I dont say anything, but it really turns my stomach.

I LOVE that sentiment!
DanTheMan55
getting angry and hitting something in the spur of the moment is way different than taking a knife and cutting yourself.

Maybe they are symptoms of the same thing, but on a completely different level.
Tmoneyag99
AG
swimmerbabe, you need to see the episode of southpark where stan goes goth after breaking up with windy.

These kids arent depressed, they are rebelling. They are trying to define themselves and finding their own sense of cool.

It's so funny b/c what has ALL of these kids depressed? Why do we have this mass population of kids that are depressed? Clothing is not a sign of depression. It's a sign of individuality.
jokershady
AG
i blame 2 things....

MTV and hot topic
swimmerbabe11
NO they aren't. If someone does that fairly regularly, it is a way of self injury.

Many people have the tendency to self-harm without actually succumbing to it.

People who pull out their hair, bite their nails to the skin, punch things to the point of breaking knuckles or even bloodying them all have the tendency to do so. It is a pattern that starts out subconscious usually and the victims don't even feel much pain while doing this.

If it doesn't start out subconciously, it often becomes addicting due to the rush of adrenaline that pain gives.
swimmerbabe11
Depression is in all stereotypes, please don't pretend it is only in this one part.

I know/knew plenty of happy emos, and even more unhappy, depressed non-emo kids.
jokershady
AG
emo or non-emo....my list above still holds for anyone in my opinion....
Tmoneyag99
AG
Well swimmer, what's all of this nonsense about depression? The original post was "emo" kids, a recent sub-cultural clique for rebelious kids in short. Just b/c they are "emo" doesnt mean they are depressed.

Agreed JokerShady, You're life is what you make it, and if you're old enough to choose to be emo, you're old enough to choose to be happy.

[This message has been edited by Tmoneyag99 (edited 2/18/2008 11:10p).]
swimmerbabe11
Happiness isn't something you choose. It's hard work for every person to be happy, but if you have illnesses that distract from that makes it even harder.

I know, there are tons of just brats out there, but I don't think that any one genre has the monopoly on whiny brats.
SquareOne07
AG
52nd trimester abortion.
jokershady
AG
quote:
52nd trimester abortion.
forgive me.....

im a man going on not much sleep...so im confused...what do you mean
SquareOne07
AG
Abort the kid at 16
Walter Kovacs
AG
i would probably have to annoy/embarrass my children in public. that may give them more ammo to act/be emo, but so be it. a wise man once said, "life's tough bro, get a helmet."
jokershady
AG
ooooooooh.....ok.....

how long did it take you to figure out the math for that....
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.