How to not get scammed on the Ticket Exchange board

5,634 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by AgTrav
Townend87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
tamc93 said:

Good advice. I wish flash seats or something else still existed to allow for these types of transactions.
Two reasons that I don't like Flash Seat or Seat Geek.
1. The opposing team fans can buy the tickets, I prefer to only sell to Aggies. My fellow season ticket holders around me prefer that too.

2. The fees are ridiculous on both sides of the transaction.
EngineeringArcher
AG
Agreed. No reason to get even more spam texts/emails. A $5 subscription fee is a small price to pay for some extra surety, not to mention literally a small price to pay as a percentage of the price of a ticket. No TexAgs DM, no ticket.
cstat07
AG
That's why I think a competitor could come in and steal market share if they worked to solve the opposing fan issue and lowered fees substantially. There are people like you and me who would use it.

I'm hopeful AI will make it much easier to put these ideas to action in the coming years. As far as I can tell, it still takes very powerful software guys to make a solid product like TA.
EngineeringArcher
AG
I am a bit worried about my ability to sell tickets for a couple games I know I can't make. I'm class of 14 and a first time season ticket holder now that I got relocated to Houston. Honestly hadn't heard of TexAgs before finding the forums while searching for season ticket info this year. Worst case I'm sure I can sell on SeatGeek, but their fees are almost criminal.
cstat07
AG
What is your worry?

I would post the games you can't make on TA right now.

We don't know which games we can and can't make yet or I would do the same.
MoBrad
AG
4 of the 8 people I have dealt with today have been scammers and went MIA when I questioned them or asked for further details. Thankfully I was cautious and sensed it, but still. I use this forum all the time and now I'll likely go another route.
Wicked Good Ag
cstat07 said:

What is your worry?

I would post the games you can't make on TA right now.

We don't know which games we can and can't make yet or I would do the same.
We dont even know who we play and when on Friday, Saturday or Sunday

And if Texas is in this regional tickets are at a premium, no reason not to get market value maybe minus some for selling to Ags

cstat07
AG
I took it he was talking about football but I may have misunderstood.
Wicked Good Ag
cstat07 said:

I took it he was talking about football but I may have misunderstood.
you are probably correct
Aggie09Derek
AG
EngineeringArcher said:

Agreed. No reason to get even more spam texts/emails. A $5 subscription fee is a small price to pay for some extra surety, not to mention literally a small price to pay as a percentage of the price of a ticket. No TexAgs DM, no ticket.
Scammers pay for stars sometimes - then you have a false sense of security and MOST people are less likely to do a search for that users name.
cstat07
AG
I suspect most people are being scammed by leaving their phone number on the board. There is no single fail proof method to protect the unsuspecting but there are ways to greatly reduce the risk.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Yes. Definitely true. But simply thinking stars will fix it is not the case.

Best to just have someone reply to your thread with a certain code word so you can know it's them and then can click on their username from there.
cstat07
AG
Agreed. If people took simple precautions scams would go down at least 95%. I've never been scammed.

The main thing people have to understand is scammers are ruthless. You have to assume you're dealing with a scammer and prove otherwise. Many assume it's a good person and get scammed.
Ag13
AG
cstat07 said:

Agreed. If people took simple precautions scams would go down at least 95%. I've never been scammed.

The main thing people have to understand is scammers are ruthless. You have to assume you're dealing with a scammer and prove otherwise. Many assume it's a good person and get scammed.
Not only ruthless but also very familiar with TexAgs/Texas A&M because I'm sure it's the same couple of scammers that come in here and do this over and over again on new, unsuspecting targets.

For example - a lot of the posts about being scammed indicate the scammer texted them starting out with "Howdy". If you're a good Ag looking to buy some tickets, that is pretty endearing and instantly breaks down the natural skepticism of dealing with a complete stranger.

BE CAREFUL
EngineeringArcher
AG
Basically that I'm new and don't have a lot of reputation yet.

My season tickets haven't yet been delivered in TMF app, so I can't transfer them. I'll post the ones I already know I can't make when they show up.
cstat07
AG
Understood. It is customary to accept half of the payment at the time of sale and half when you deliver the tickets. Most understand the tickets have not been delivered yet.

With your tags, you are a lot safer to deal with than a scammer from the start. If I were buying from you, I would reach out to you via DM and do some due diligence like texting and then talking on the phone given the lack of sales history. For many people, it is easy to see that their phone number ties to their name online. Appraisal district, linkedin, facebook, etc can help to corroborate you are who you say you are.
EngineeringArcher
AG
That makes sense. Appreciate the advice/norms/customs.
Broncos
I've never had issues but have only bought from people with extensive selling history.

I've sold a few times and have done the majority of deals via hand to hand exchange.
Broncos
Also, posting that you're wanting to buy tickets is asking to get scammed. As many have already mentioned.

There are enough ticket listings that it's easy to scroll through and find what you're looking for without asking.
gilhicks1
AG
Our softball bat buy/sell/trade page has a hard rule:

"If they message you directly without commenting on your post first…it's 100% a scam".

That's helped weed out probably 25-50% of initial scammers.

I've even had a guy photoshop my name and date onto a piece of paper, next to the bat, to "show it was legit". I finally caught on when the Venmo name didn't match.

Already had someone try to get me on here as well. 7 day old account with 3 BS posts about nothing or literally just putting a character to increase their history (READ THEIR POSTS!!).
Townend87
AG
Do not sell to sips.
AGGIEGMA9
Personally, if someone says they're an Aggie I look them up on the Assoc of Former Students. I also like to talk to them.
6 Aggies
Wicked Good Ag
Got a hypothetical for regionals
Assume you want to see the Ags play if you can with the schedule

Say t.u. is in the regional and we play the day game on Friday, they play night game

Do you sell the night game tickets for a higher price to Texas fans for good seats for Friday night only or do you discount to Ags who want to watch the game as well even though we are not playing

and when t.u. loses that game do you do the same for Saturday ?
Ag13
AG
Bump for upcoming regional announcement.

And a special shout out to all the absolute loser scammers that peruse this board and provide no value to society at all.
tamc93
AG
Free bump
Ag13
AG
ttt
Ag13
AG
Added this to OP and using as an excuse to bump. Pretty crafty method by the loser scammers:

Quote:

IMPORTANT ADDITION - If you post your phone number/email on someone else's Want To Sell post, you may possibly get a text message/call/email from a scammer who is claiming to be the original poster. Do not fall for this. There is absolutely no harm in asking the person to post again in their thread to ensure you are talking to the right person. And once again, if they insist you use an unsecured payment method, it is very possibly a scam.

Taken from the experience that seems to have happened via these threads:

https://texags.com/forums/11/topics/3462928

https://texags.com/forums/11/topics/3462885

STAY VIGILANT
clem93
AG
RichAg tried to scam me when I posted on a WTS thread. He DM me stating he had SRO all-session for $100.

I immediately started searching for his posting history and it failed the sniff test. I never replied.
Ag13
AG
Bump for t.u. regional game
Broncos
Bump for all the WTB posts leaving their contact info.
Ag13
AG
Bump for Super Regionals

Good luck out there Ags
Jvaggie84
AG
Used to love using Flash Seats where the seller had the option to accept or not accept an offer. After 12th Man switched to Stub Hub, I complained a few times to my 12th Man rep and was basically told the Foundation makes more $ on the agreement with Stub Hub (now Seat Geek) and going back to Flash Seats was a losing battle.
Ag13
AG
I actually need a couple extra tickets so I made a WTB post on here. Please note my very first point is to expect to be scammed. Within 5 minutes of posting my number, I got two texts that were exactly the same from 2 separate numbers

The 2 numbers are:

646-212-7426
719-343-6117

The initial text from both said the exact same thing "Hi are you still interested in buying tickets??" and they came at the exact same time hmm.

These area codes are not exactly familiar for a Texan. Also came from a green text message which is another red flag (sorry android users). Knew immediately this was a scam, but Mr. Scammer thought he got me. Instead got to waste some of his time.

Aggies, don't fall for this crap

Hey scammer - you're a loser!!
Captn_Ag05
AG
But he has a reserved sit for you!
AggiePlaya
AG
Way to be alert!
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.