How to not get scammed on the Ticket Exchange board

4,960 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by Counterpoint
Ag13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There's a thread going on on premium right now about the growing problem of scamming on this board. It hurts my heart to see Aggies being scammed out of money constantly on TexAgs when they are just trying to see the Aggies play in a game. Thankfully, incidents involving people that are actually associated with Texas A&M seem to be a very small percentage of incidents, but I don't think that gives too much comfort to people that have lost hundreds of dollars or more.

The problem that seems to be occurring, and the most important thing to remember, is that this board is accessible by anyone in the world with an internet connection. Therefore, if you announce that you are trying to buy tickets and are willing to send a complete stranger money, you should expect for people to attempt to scam you, especially when you post your email/phone number.

Another important thing to remember is that in most cases, there is no recourse. If you send your money via an unsecured means (Venmo, Zelle, Paypal friends and family option) you will never get it back and the person that scammed you will never get in trouble for it, and you will never get the tickets that you think you were paying for. Pretty much the worst that can happen to the scammer is that their account on TexAgs gets banned if that's the method they used to scam you. But unfortunately they can just turn around and create a new one to scam others. But a TexAgs account is not even necessary to scam people.

If you are buying tickets via a "Want to Buy/WTB" post, below are key points on how you can hopefully prevent yourself from being scammed:

1) Expect to be scammed. Be skeptical and diligent of everyone reaching out to you when they ask you to send money and that they will in turn give you tickets. Scams are rampant on this board and across the internet and when you indicate that you are willing to send hundreds of dollars are more to a complete stranger, you should expect to be scammed.

2) When someone reaches out to you off TexAgs (ie by phone/text/email) ask them to post on your thread from their account. If they refuse to, it's probably a scam - even if they say they forgot their password, or they just use their friends account or whatever. It's a simple request, and if they cannot fulfill the request then it's much more likely that they are a complete stranger to the community and looking for want to buy posts to scam them.

3) If they do agree to post in your thread (or if they send you a private message on TexAgs) - evaluate the account carefully before transacting. None of these suggestions are fail proof but when looking at an account you can look for posting history pretty quickly and easily. Do they seem to be a long term Aggie fan? The kind of person that might actually have some season tickets to sell you. Have they had an account for a while or did they create it in the past few days/weeks? If so it is very possible they created the account specifically to scam WTB posts. Do they have an Ag Tag? Ag Tags are hard to fake and can provide some measure of comfort that you are probably dealing with someone that has some measure of integrity - but there are still some scammer Aggies out there.

4) If they send you a screenshot of the tickets, don't put too much faith in it. These are extremely easy to fake so even if it's a legitimate transaction a screenshot of the tickets really means nothing in the sense of "proving" someone has the tickets for you. It also does not prove that they will send the tickets to you if they even exist.

5) Ask yourself - is the deal too good to be true? You can certainly score deals on this board, and sometimes it's legitimately Aggies trying to help others - but be skeptical if prices are significantly lower than what others are selling for on Ticket Exchange/Stubhub/Seat Geek. If it's too good to be true - it really might be unless you can verify that the person trying to sell you the tickets is simply a good Ag trying to help you out with cheap tickets because they cannot use them themselves.

6) Payment method matters. The king of payment methods is Paypal Goods and Services because it allows you to charge back if you end up getting scammed/without tickets. If someone does not want you to use Paypal Goods and Services it is possible, if not likely, that you are being scammed. Paypal Goods and Services charges an extra ~3% fee which if you are nice you can even offer to cover to help give peace of mind to the transaction. It is extremely important to remember that other payment methods (Paypal friends/family, Venmo, Zelle) carry significant risk with little chance of ever recovering your money. With venmo, at least, you can look at transaction history and someone's profile to try to determine if they are a legit seller or a scammer - but this is not foolproof by any means. In my experience, Zelle is rarely used for legitimate ticket transactions and if someone jumps to wanting you to use Zelle you may want to be extra cautious if not immediately deciding to walk away.

7) IMPORTANT ADDITION - If you post your phone number/email on someone else's Want To Sell post, you may possibly get a text message/call/email from a scammer who is claiming to be the original poster. Do not fall for this. There is absolutely no harm in asking the person to post again in their thread to ensure you are talking to the right person. And once again, if they insist you use an unsecured payment method, it is very possibly a scam.

If you are trying to buy tickets from a "Want to Sell/WTS" post - it is a little bit easier to do your diligence on the seller since they already have a TexAgs account with some amount of posting history. But #1, #4, #5, and #6 still apply big time. While it is less common, you can still get scammed on these types of posts. But often if someone is posting a WTS post, they have posted on the ticket exchange board before, potentially even for the exact same tickets at other games. If people haven't launched a complaint previously, that can hopefully provide some measure of comfort that they are a legitimate ticket holder and not a scammer. If it's their first post ever, be very skeptical.

If you are trying to sell tickets, you can still get scammed - but this is probably the least common. It is not unheard of for someone to steal/hack a venmo account and send you money. Then you send the tickets and venmo reverses the transaction because it is on a stolen account - and you are left with no tickets and no money. The 12th Man Foundation *may* be able to reverse the ticket transfer but I would not count on that being a possibility. So if you are selling tickets, you should still be extremely cautious.

If someone wants to meet in person to do the exchange, be very careful for obvious reasons.

A verified seller list/system would be nice, but as of now there really isn't one. There are various threads listing phone numbers/emails/usernames that have been associated with scamming but all 3 of these are easy to replace with a few clicks on the internet. So this list will NEVER be complete and should not be relied upon for your diligence.

There are several gigantic events coming up in College Station (and Omaha??) with the Texas football game in November possibly being the biggest of all time. Please be careful when doing transactions with strangers.

Ags2013
AG
I've been considering just paying for the basic premium access so i can DM Ags directly. A lot less risk and only $5/month.
cstat07
AG
I think it's worth it to not put your email or phone number out there for the scammers. They still DM here and there but it's a good safeguard like all the other bullets by OP. No individual precaution really protects you in general but I haven't been scammed here and it's not because they haven't been trying.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Honestly so many people would get a PM and never think to do full background check on the person once getting a message from them....its almost as safe to tell people to just when contacted via email/text to have person respond with a certain word (ex: Gig em) and then they can click on the username and do further research.
MarcAg
AG
cstat07 said:

I think it's worth it to not put your email or phone number out there for the scammers.
That's it. I have bought a ton of tickets on this board and I have never posted my contact info. I have never started a wanting to buy thread as that is just opening you up for scammers. I just respond to sellers posting they are selling and then they either post their contact info or I DM them. And I check their posting history.

Everybody that I have heard about getting scammed over the years, I haven't seen one where the scammer started a thread saying they were selling tickets.
tamc93
AG
There have been several this baseball season. Folks have diligent in spotting some of them and posting warnings.

It is definitely worse then normal this year.
tamc93
AG
Good advice. I wish flash seats or something else still existed to allow for these types of transactions.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
This needs to be stickied to top.
cstat07
AG
Sadly, it won't help much. But it should be stickied. Maybe if there's 15 scam warnings stickied at the top, the scam rate will decrease.
Ag13
AG
cstat07 said:

Sadly, it won't help much. But it should be stickied. Maybe if there's 15 scam warnings stickied at the top, the scam rate will decrease.

If this board can not have restricted viewership in some way (ag tag?, verified seller?, premium users?) it would be nice if every thread on here was auto replied to with a condensed version of my post alerting the OP of exactly what to watch for. It seems like most of the scams happen to people with little experience transacting on the ticket board and are just dropping by to get tickets for a random game. This means of course all the stickied threads probably would not help. But maybe an auto reply from a staff account describing exactly how scammers try to get you will help to stop the scamming and discourage these losers from perusing the ticket board looking for targets. It seriously makes me so sad when we see posts saying "was just trying to take my son to a baseball game and now I'm out $300"
Charlie Moran
AG
I like the restricted viewer angle and honestly I would be willing to pay a fee to list a WTS post . That might at least legitimize you as a serious seller who actually has seats.

One way to verify is by checking past posting history. I know some people have seats all over the stadium as part of a Priority Point accumulation plan but most people are reselling the same section seats for various games. That repetition should give a buyer comfort
"I didn't come here to lose!" Charley Moran
cstat07
AG
Fraud is at the top of my hate list as well.

I think there's inexperience but a lot of times it's just good people who want to see the good in other people and generally have a harder time seeing something as too good to be true because they expect good in life. They see it after the fact and are disappointed in themselves as much as the scammer because there were red flags and they ignored them.

I am often summoned to help find tickets for people and when I have time I'm glad to do it as I know some of them are more susceptible to being defrauded.

I've been brainstorming about how to prevent fraud on the board. Most don't want it super exclusive thereby excluding parents and friends of Aggies but it should have some small hurdles to entry at the very least. Rookie accounts getting in and hammering people make no sense. Maybe we should require that you've been around for a while or you have to have an Ag Tag, Aggies United, or the like. If Texags wanted to spend more time on it there's obviously things they can do but I understand not wanting to spend a lot of resource on it.

With the tickets being digital, I'm confused why there isn't more competition for stubhub. Why isn't someone creating a website to compete - maybe work exclusively with fanbases that have digital tickets and put in measures to help them avoid selling to opposing fanbases for those that desire. If they reduced fees from 25% to 5%, I would think they could make a lot of money and not have many headaches with tickets being digital. My guess is flashseats and the like don't generate any fees for the 12th man so they switched to stubhub and now SeatGeek.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Paying to post would just have the scammers paying to post (using funds that couldn't be tied to actual scammer) and would create a false sense of security
Aggie09Derek
AG
There is tons of competition for stubhub.
Seatgeek, vivid, TickPick, Gametime, Ticketnetwork, GoTickets (former vivid guys just launched it), Ticketmaster Resale etc.
Matsui
AG
Excellent thread
tamc93
AG
I helped others in the past as the middleman, but knew both parties in general who lacked sophistication and did not trust the process.

PITA to do on a larger scale though and with tax laws who knows what would happen these days.
cstat07
AG
Do any of those have low to no fees like flashseats?
Aggie09Derek
AG
Flash had a 25%ish fee for buyer and no fee for selling tickets that were part of season tickets.

Whether to buyer or seller it's all the same.
cstat07
AG
My question is why isn't there competition with a reasonably low fee for a digital transaction where in theory the ticket should be able to be verified before money exchanges hands. Does eBay charge 25% for people to exchange things?
Aggie09Derek
AG
Cost of running a marketplace isn't cheap

Also to have it more integrated and fully automated comes with a big contract to the school - Seatgeek is giving A&M and every other school a kickback for providing the integration.

For A&M events Seatgeek will likely have the most inventory. If tickets are priced the exact same by seller, tickpick/gametime will be a little cheaper though.
cstat07
AG
I would think a marketplace that only deals with digital transactions would be cheaper than one that does paper and digital like all the ones you mentioned. For fans to swap tickets, you wouldn't need a deal with the university or pay them anything as far as I can tell.

If someone provided enhanced functionality over stubhub and SeatGeek, they could take some market share. An easy example would be to show sellers what comps have sold for like stubhub did before. Encouraging sellers to upload photos from the seats would be helpful. Allowing sellers to sell piggyback together isn't super hard work to do but stubhub and SeatGeek don't get granular enough to do that as far as I can tell. Verifying Ag Tag and allowing you to sell only to your fan base would be a huge upgrade over any existing site. If there are two sets of seats next to each other, putting those together for larger parties would be a value add.
Proposition Joe
Make it standard for sellers to send tickets before payment.

That puts the risk on the seller, and will weed out 95% of the scammers.
cstat07
AG
There are scammers on the buying end too…
Wicked Good Ag
Proposition Joe said:

Make it standard for sellers to send tickets before payment.

That puts the risk on the seller, and will weed out 95% of the scammers.
LOL

That allows a double dip by a scammer using another site
Proposition Joe
The easy mark is the the scammer selling tickets for quick money then disappearing and never transferring.

If you force transfer beforehand, that removes 99% of the scammers.

Yes, there still will be a handful of scammers on the buy side -- but they are a lot easier to vet. Most of these scammers aren't looking to take on inventory to have to sell it, they just want the fast cash.

It doesn't solve the problem completely, but it minimizes it significantly. Past that, simply doing your due diligence will vet out the remaining scammers.
Ag13
AG
Proposition Joe said:

The easy mark is the the scammer selling tickets for quick money then disappearing and never transferring.

Yes, there still will be a handful of scammers on the buy side -- but they are a lot easier to vet. Most of these scammers aren't looking to take on inventory to have to sell it, they just want the fast cash.

It doesn't solve the problem completely, but it minimizes it significantly. Past that, simply doing your due diligence will vet out the remaining scammers.
I like the idea behind it, but as someone that has sold a lot of tickets on here I do not think I would ever give away my tickets prior to them paying if it is someone I have never transacted with in the past. If someone insisted that I do it, I would immediately be skeptical that I was being scammed somehow.
Proposition Joe
cstat07 said:

I would think a marketplace that only deals with digital transactions would be cheaper than one that does paper and digital like all the ones you mentioned. For fans to swap tickets, you wouldn't need a deal with the university or pay them anything as far as I can tell.

If someone provided enhanced functionality over stubhub and SeatGeek, they could take some market share. An easy example would be to show sellers what comps have sold for like stubhub did before. Encouraging sellers to upload photos from the seats would be helpful. Allowing sellers to sell piggyback together isn't super hard work to do but stubhub and SeatGeek don't get granular enough to do that as far as I can tell. Verifying Ag Tag and allowing you to sell only to your fan base would be a huge upgrade over any existing site. If there are two sets of seats next to each other, putting those together for larger parties would be a value add.

Many of these are good ideas, but the problem you will run into is that for each of these things you are decreasing the amount of inventory available on the site -- and maximum inventory is king.

People want selection, people want best price, and people want confirmed/valid tickets. Everything else is a boutique type service.

The idea of sites that designate which fan base can buy/sell sounds great in theory, but the reality is the margins between what a seller is willing to take to guarantee that it's their own fanbase sitting in the seat isn't that great. Joe Aggie may take $90 instead of $100 to make sure the tickets go to an Ag, but he likely isn't taking $70.

And that doesn't even take into account the vetting process. How are you going to prove what fanbase each buyer is from? How are you going to prevent buyer from turning around and selling the ticket again with no fanbase restriction?

While it's a problem many would like to see solved, it's still a niche problem in the grand scheme of things.
Proposition Joe
Ag13 said:

Proposition Joe said:

I like the idea behind it, but as someone that has sold a lot of tickets on here I do not think I would ever give away my tickets prior to them paying if it is someone I have never transacted with in the past. If someone insisted that I do it, I would immediately be skeptical that I was being scammed somehow.

100% agree.

But putting the risk on the seller instead of the buyer is a surefire method to reduce scamming. Sellers vetting buyers is a lot easier task than buyers vetting sellers, because again -- most scammers aren't looking to take on inventory.
Wicked Good Ag
So you send me the tickets first. I ghost you without payment

I put the tickets on Seatgeek, vivid seats etc and get paid for real actual tickets....pretty sure i avoid possible fraud that way and just say the tickets were given to me

also there is NO way I give tickets first to anyone unless i personally know them...I dont know many businesses that allow system for their sales in an industry so why should I do that as an honest person selling tickets no matter the price

If people are worried about being scammed then use sites like seatgeek etc that have protcols in place to help facilitate an honest transaction

However the downfall to that is what some people don't like....cost more with fees and not selling to other Aggies is a real possibility

Ag13
AG
Proposition Joe said:

cstat07 said:

Many of these are good ideas, but the problem you will run into is that for each of these things you are decreasing the amount of inventory available on the site -- and maximum inventory is king.

People want selection, people want best price, and people want confirmed/valid tickets. Everything else is a boutique type service.

The idea of sites that designate which fan base can buy/sell sounds great in theory, but the reality is the margins between what a seller is willing to take to guarantee that it's their own fanbase sitting in the seat isn't that great. Joe Aggie may take $90 instead of $100 to make sure the tickets go to an Ag, but he likely isn't taking $70.

And that doesn't even take into account the vetting process. How are you going to prove what fanbase each buyer is from? How are you going to prevent buyer from turning around and selling the ticket again with no fanbase restriction?

While it's a problem many would like to see solved, it's still a niche problem in the grand scheme of things.
It does seem like something the A&M could set up fairly easily to keep tickets within the 12th Man member ecosystem as much as possible and get a double dip via fees from people reselling tickets that they previously purchased directly from A&M.

The downside is that the fees generated would likely not come close to whatever the official ticket resale partner of Texas A&M athletics pays to be the official resale market and to have their advertisements at Kyle Field. Seat Geek of course would never allow this as a result.
cstat07
AG
No one would have to use that functionality and yes, it would decrease value to seller similar to selling on Texags.

You would verify with Ag Tag or 12th man similar to what Texags does.

Main value add would be lower fees on all digital transactions.
cstat07
AG
If you buy from sellers with a track record on this site, your risk is very very low. Buy at your own risk with rookies and the like.

I would make someone send the tickets first if the seller is sketchy and I am a buyer with a proven track record.
Wicked Good Ag
MarcAg said it best...not as many scams of people who post WTS where most are WTB

If you are WTB why not just look over inventory by the WTS people or secodnary market sites?
Proposition Joe
Wicked Good Ag said:

So you send me the tickets first. I ghost you without payment

I put the tickets on Seatgeek, vivid seats etc and get paid for real actual tickets....pretty sure i avoid possible fraud that way and just say the tickets were given to me

also there is NO way I give tickets first to anyone unless i personally know them...I dont know many businesses that allow system for their sales in an industry so why should I do that as an honest person selling tickets no matter the price

If people are worried about being scammed then use sites like seatgeek etc that have protcols in place to help facilitate an honest transaction

However the downfall to that is what some people don't like....cost more with fees and not selling to other Aggies is a real possibility

Again, not saying that it's a solution -- just that it would decrease the scamming by a significant amount. Most scammers aren't looking to take on inventory, then list on a secondary market (in which they had to register their user info).

Yes, you can still be scammed in this method. But "you transfer tickets, then I send money" makes 1000x more sense than "i'll send you money, then you transfer tickets". Of course there's not many businsesses that operate like this -- because most businesses aren't 100% anonymous and ripe for scamming.
Charlie Moran
AG
Great discussion. I'm happy that people are looking for solutions to this issue of efficiently, transferring tickets from those that can't attend to those that want to and keeping our seats amongst Aggies.
"I didn't come here to lose!" Charley Moran
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.