Women's Tennis 2023/2024

335,408 Views | 3713 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Aggie Tennis
Aggie Tennis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anchorhold said:

Of course there is a storm brewing the first time one of our girls' matches is streamed this offseason.

Mary takes on Akasha Urhobo (11.55) at approximately 2:45pm.
STREAMING: https://live.itftennis.com/en/live-streams/video.php?vid=50843171

She won 6-3, 6-7, 6-0 just after the baseball game ended.

Nice win! She beat an 11.55 UTR.

Also nice for our women's tennis team to set a new standard and inspire our baseball team!
aggiedrjdub
AG
carl spacklers hat said:

aggiedrjdub said:

I guess we have to start over. Our forum was removed for some reason (or I'm just blind and overlooking it). Bummer - oh well, Gig'em!
Since you started the thread for the most successful women's season evah, I nominate you start the next season thread, kind sir! Whenever you are ready.

Haha you've got it! Soon.
Gig'em Aggies! c/o '98 W H O O P!
Anchorhold
Lexington beat Hawaii's #4 (last year), 6-1, 6-0 in the first round of qualifying in the W15 Los Angeles, CA. She'll play UCLA's #4 (last year) Elise Wagle today. She is playing doubles with Salma today.
bigfoot10s
AG
My question is when will Weaver get a raise??

There are no incentives for him to win the natty. I know he loves Aggieland, but the lack of on campus indoors and lower pay than majority of great coaches in the country, wouldn't surprise me if he was looking.

Someone needs to get the man a new deal. Joffe makes like $100k more.
TeddyAg0422
AG
Wondering the same thing… at this point nothing would surprise me one bit. We need an indoor facility. And if that bit about Joffe is true, sheesh. 100k less than Joffe is ridiculous at this point, all things considered
Anchorhold

UNACCEPTABLE!!!!
TeddyAg0422
AG
What's unacceptable is that we don't have indoor courts being built in that huge space right behind Mitchell that's literally there for an indoor facility to be built
Aggie Tennis
AG
Anchorhold said:

UNACCEPTABLE!!!!

This was the last update I've seen.

https://www.kbtx.com/2024/04/02/city-bryan-provides-an-update-midtown-park-projects/?outputType=amp
bigtimeag1977
So Joffe left A&M for t.u. and now makes 50% more than Weaver and has 50% better facilities. Sounds great!
aggietennisfan
Jeff Wallace, former Georgia coach who hadn't won the national title since the 90s was making $330k. Roland Thornquist at Florida is at 285k plus big Nike deal. Tennessee, Ojeda makes $250k. And the list goes on. Pay Weaver and they better match whatever offer Texas offers Schloss.
aggiesherpa
AG
bigfoot10s said:

My question is when will Weaver get a raise??

There are no incentives for him to win the natty. I know he loves Aggieland, but the lack of on campus indoors and lower pay than majority of great coaches in the country, wouldn't surprise me if he was looking.

Someone needs to get the man a new deal. Joffe makes like $100k more.

This is absolutely straight garbage. You have someone who was a successful athlete here. Worked his way up as an assistant and is one of, if not; the best coaches in the country. And who wants to be here! Pay the man the money he deserves!!
Ag4eva95
Or else we're going to end up with garbage like Fisher or Schloss. We need to learn how to take care of the true Aggies
TeddyAg0422
AG
Ag4eva95 said:

Or else we're going to end up with garbage like Fisher or Schloss. We need to learn how to take care of the true Aggies
JPN06
If they don't even care enough to build indoor courts, they aren't going to pay him what he deserves.

Also, I cant believe tennis coaches get paid so little.
RodgerDodger
Certainly the new AD will give Mark a new contract after winning the national title and also the SEC 3 Peat. Seems like that would have already been done by now, but no announcement yet. Coaches should be awarded for winning and not just be given guaranteed money. Also, retaining all the players on his roster says a lot as well.
bigfoot10s
AG
Getting extra money (incentives) based on performance never happens in non-rev sports unfortunately. It should!
Aggie Tennis
AG
Mark received a 5 year extention in 2022 after winning the SEC and having our great run. Is the issue that the dollars aren't competitive to other top coaches?
TeddyAg0422
AG
Yes
bigfoot10s
AG
Yes.

And he won a natty and no incentives.
Chruchie
AG
I'm all for Mark getting a raise. He's the coach that has actually built and succeeded here. He is an elite coach and his pay should reflect that. With that said, Mark is coach at A&M that is the least fly risk. He loves this university so much and loves his daughter growing up in CSTAT. we will have Mark as long as he wants to coach college tennis. pay the man because he's earned it
aggietennisfan
Even if tennis is a non revenue sport just like every other sport except for football and men's basketball and maybe baseball on year's like this past year, the right thing to do is pay your coaches when they do extraordinary things and keep it comparable if not better than your competition.
bigtimeag1977
I personally don't think Mark would ever leave, but here a few places that he might go and will be available very soon. Stanford-need I say more. UCLA-hard to not consider. Baylor-would pay more and would pay for his daughter's education. Anyone hear the Brian Boland deal? Was an outrageous salary plus free education for his children. Far better outdoor and indoor facilities and are hosting the ncaa individual and team championships because so. His parents live there.
Anchorhold
Eventually there will come a day, many, many more SEC and National Championships from now, when Mark is no longer coaching the aggies. Until then we need to give him and this team what they need to keep doing the great job they are already is doing; and I will be softly rooting for Jordan to be sec runner-up every year until it may be time to call him home. Only time will tell.
aggiedrjdub
AG
I know this has already been posted but there's a nice write up in the link. Welcome Ava!

Aggie Tennis
AG
aggiedrjdub said:

I know this has already been posted but there's a nice write up in the link. Welcome Ava!

It's so great to see Mark's quote about a 2nd national title. Just the fact he can say that now.

I feel like we need Ava to play #5 so Jeanette can stay at #6, but I'm having trouble seeing that based on results. #2 doubles with Lulu seems likely.

Ag4eva95
What trouble are you seeing?? I think that makes perfect sense. She will be #4 or #5 in my opinion. You have to toss out UTR. She's a 5th year player with tons of high level experience. She beat the #1 from Vanderbilt, who ended the year at #6 in the ITa rankings
Chruchie
AG
no matter where ava plays. she will have experience playing the #1 in the SEC and talent to back it up. she will play in the middle of our lineup and it'll be a luxury (i predict)
aggiedrjdub
AG
I'm assuming she's at 3 or 4. Probably at 2 doubles with Lulu
Anchorhold
I don't mean to discount Ava's singles play, but I can't help but focus today on this one fact: Doubles All-American!

bigfoot10s
AG
She was definitely brought in for doubles. Not doubles only, but doubles first. She will compete in singles as well
Ag4eva95
I wouldn't mind a Mary/Ava pairing so that gives us time to form our next great duo the year after(Mia/Lulu)
Aggie Tennis
AG
Ag4eva95 said:

What trouble are you seeing?? I think that makes perfect sense. She will be #4 or #5 in my opinion. You have to toss out UTR. She's a 5th year player with tons of high level experience. She beat the #1 from Vanderbilt, who ended the year at #6 in the ITa rankings

Simply looking at her singles results and the specific matches. I don't see how she could challenge Mia or Lulu for #4. Lulu's 3 months UTR trend is almost 11.

I do hope she can play #5 as Jeanette will be strong at #6.

If she is a strong #5 singles / #2 doubles it will be a huge add.

RodgerDodger
Szabo signs 4 star 177 in the 2024 class on tennis recruiting. Julie Bedard.
Anchorhold
Lulu's early summer action pays off as she moves to #2 in Peru and #20 in college players rankings (Mary #3, Nicole #12). After a little break she will play in Argentina four straight weeks.

https://www.utrsports.net/pages/college-utr-women-tennis-rankings
Aggie Tennis
AG
Anchorhold said:

Lulu's early summer action pays off as she moves to #2 in Peru and #20 in college players rankings (Mary #3, Nicole #12). After a little break she will play in Argentina four straight weeks.

https://www.utrsports.net/pages/college-utr-women-tennis-rankings

And Mia #26!

We do have a bit of a drop off after that with Jeanette at #93. Ideally Ava could play #5 but she's currently #175.

I wonder if we could see more shakeup with another transfer in the Spring? We also have Lexington, Daria, and possibly Jennifer. If one of those four really step up, we are running it back.
First Page Last Page
Page 105 of 107

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.