*****Official Dallas Stars 2023-2024 Season Thread*****

479,438 Views | 7885 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Legal Custodian
micahb2002
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

J.P. 03
AG
Good news if you hate Bally Sports: they're trying to give up the Stars' broadcast rights.

Quote:

As part of a contingency plan that's been evolving over the past several months, the Stars are said to be looking into partnering with a tech company to launch a direct-to-consumer app that would allow local fans to stream the team's games. As a bonus incentive for Stars enthusiasts, games streamed on the ad-supported platform would be accessible at no additional charge.

A local TV deal is also said to be in the works, although nothing has been finalized.

https://www.sportico.com/business/media/2024/dallas-stars-local-tv-deal-split-bally-sports-southwest-1234786751/
FWAppraiser
AG
Knew they were coming with a DTC streaming option, but word was they were going to stay with Ballys (soon to be FanDual) for the time being as well. Glad to know they're working on a local TV option, they wouldn't survive on a streaming only option. They used to split games between what was Fox Sports Southwest and Channel 27. I'm assuming they'll work something out with 27 or the CW. The CW has been venturing into sports lately. Sounds like ad revenue is less than the broadcast rights they've been receiving though. Going to be interesting to see how this impacts the organization's bottom line moving forward. Then again, with the team selling the ads and the ability to create synergies with other team advertising opportunities, they may very well come out better.
micahb2002
AG
https://dcastillo.substack.com/p/the-dallas-stars-shouldnt-sign-matt

An article from last year arguing for pairing Heiskanen with Dumba.
gabehcoud
gabehcoud said:

Talked to my insider friend last night at the game
1) rumors of moving north are false. stars are staying at the aac and have a good relationship w new mavs owners for possible future move w mavs. If stars don't go w mavs they'll stay at AAC
2) No bally for Stars next year. Will launch streaming service partnering w some other teams.
FWAppraiser
AG

I'm guessing more app/TV info. is about to drop.
FWAppraiser
AG

7 year agreement

Quote:

VICTORY+ will be available for download on smart TVs, tablets and smart phones in September 2024 ensuring fans within the Dallas Stars regional territory (Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas) can enjoy content wherever they are on their preferred device. Fans outside the Stars regional territory will still be able to enjoy VICTORY+ to watch a robust menu of ancillary content provided by the team.
PatAg
AG
Will be interesting to see how bars adapt to this.
And I guess older customers?
Legal Custodian
AG
PatAg said:

Will be interesting to see how bars adapt to this.
And I guess older customers?
There will probably be a deal to broadcast locally too. I'm guessing it'll be on TX27 or something of the like and maybe only around 25-30 games to be simulcast on it.
FWAppraiser
AG
I'm impressed they got such a large territory. There was speculation they would have to blackout outside of DFW because of NHL Center Ice and ESPN+. Streaming to such a wide area will help with ad revenue, but they're going to have to really market the H-E-double-hockey-sticks out of it across that region.

Also interesting how much viewership was hurting due to Ballys' issues with Dish, etc. They're convinced viewership will be up from the start.
Tksymm7
AG
I absolutely think viewership will be up. I'm a diehard, watch 75% of Rangers games, and since Xfinity dropped Bally I have watched maybe one game since. It's no different with the Stars, Mavs etc.
Grapesoda2525
FWAppraiser said:

7 year agreement

Quote:

VICTORY+ will be available for download on smart TVs, tablets and smart phones in September 2024 ensuring fans within the Dallas Stars regional territory (Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas) can enjoy content wherever they are on their preferred device. Fans outside the Stars regional territory will still be able to enjoy VICTORY+ to watch a robust menu of ancillary content provided by the team.

This is amazing. I can watch games in bed on my iPad. Sometimes I don't feel like sitting on the couch or watching in the living room.

Stars fans continue to be spoiled. Best broadcast crew in hockey / all of the DFW sports and now it will be extremely accessible to fans.
micahb2002
AG
https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/40509506/nhl-power-rankings-2024-2025-best-teams-standings-free-agency-trades-draft

Stars #3 on way too early rankings
FWAppraiser
AG
Already seeing projections of the Stats finishing 1st or 2nd in the Central again.

I was too down on the free agent signings. If you look at the analytics, the new defensemen free agents ARE a net negative when compared to their replacements (Tanev, Suter, and Hakanpaa/Petrovic). BUT replacing Pavelski and Faksa with Bourque and Blackwell more than makes up for it. The Stars are actually slightly better, from an analytics perspective, than they were to finish this last season.

Add to it, if Lian Bichsel can force his way onto the roster and one of the old guys to sit or go through waivers, they may get even better.

This is still a really good team. Have to remind myself we went into last season relying on Ryan Suter and Jani Hakanpaa to play big minutes. Even with weaknesses on the blue line, this team is going to be dangerous.
Grapesoda2525
micahb2002 said:

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/40509506/nhl-power-rankings-2024-2025-best-teams-standings-free-agency-trades-draft

Stars #3 on way too early rankings
Makes sense. If you ask me, we've pretty much gotten 3rd place the last few years anyway. I think we were better than the last 2 teams who lost in the eastern conference finals.
micahb2002
AG

Grapesoda2525
Are we really better than last year as constructed right now?

Tanev seemed to make our defense elite. We might not have beaten Vegas or Colorado without him. However, it's fair to say in hindsight that by the time the playoffs arrived, Pavelski was washed up and didn't help at all and Hintz was hurt / didn't look like the Hintz we got in the playoffs last year.

I hope we are. I'm just not so sure.
FWAppraiser
AG
David Castillo has an article in D Magazine addressing this:

https://www.dmagazine.com/sports/2024/07/dallas-stars-moneyball-tanev-dumba/

FYI, David is not a fan of the offseason moves, but he's also a big analytics guy. Looks like we are, in fact, slightly better.

Tksymm7
AG
He's a pretty crazy analytics guy. He was the one calling for Faksa to be moved to defense based off of numbers.
gabehcoud
Brad Alberts on the HL https://post.futurimedia.com/ktck/playlist/listen-8454.html
gabehcoud
Borque for Pavs is the only positive and that's a pure guess. D is bad with bad depth.
micahb2002
AG
gabehcoud said:

Borque for Pavs is the only positive and that's a pure guess. D is bad with bad depth.
It's pretty guaranteed that whoever replaces Pavs will be better in the playoffs. Regular season? We will see. Pavs just doesn't have enough in the tank for a regular season AND playoffs anymore.
FWAppraiser
AG
gabehcoud said:

Blackwell is also an upgrade over Faksa, but it's 100% a case of addition by subtraction in the forward group. The defense got worse, but not as much when comparing with what we started last season with. There's also some thought that Dumba might not be as bad in Dallas' system. I'm not holding my breath, but it is a possibility. I also still think there's a very real possibility that we see Bichsel called up this season and they'll move one of the bottom defensemen via trade or waivers.
Grapesoda2525
Pavs was -8, but Dumba and lyushkin are -6. Ouch
micahb2002
AG
Dumba has been recovering from a torn pectoral. His upper body is weaker but his legs are great. We are betting on him being an ideal partner for Miro.
micahb2002
AG
It's not an easy comparison of plus minus between forwards and defensemen.
gabehcoud
FWAppraiser
AG
FWAppraiser
AG

FWAppraiser
AG
Joe is closing the door on a late season return. I'm still bummed we couldn't get him a Cup. What a career though!
EastSideAg2002
FWAppraiser said:

Joe is closing the door on a late season return. I'm still bummed we couldn't get him a Cup. What a career though!

His games played are a palidrome
gabehcoud
Something really bothers me about Joe in the playoffs. It's the fact that he played all 82 regular season games. To me it's inexcusable that DeBoer didn't mandate rest days for him over the course of the season. No crap a 40 year old playing 100 games is going to wear out. IMO Pete put winning the west above going into the playoffs healthy & rested.
Out in Left Field
AG
Roll the Bones
AG
It seems like the Americans change affiliation every other year. Not sure if that is normal or not.

I had season tickets the first 6 years of the franchise and they had a great run with 4 championships in that stretch and it was reasonably good hockey. Much better than the CHL in the 90s when I used to go to a lot of the FW Fire games.
gabehcoud
Season ticket holders looking for add ons, it opened up this morning and they're going fast
First Page
Page 225 of 226

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.