*****Official Dallas Stars 2023-2024 Season Thread*****

479,513 Views | 7885 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Legal Custodian
gigem1223
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well can't go wrong with a Fin in the 1st round. Keeping that pipeline open.
FWAppraiser
AG
Petrovic signed a new 2-year, 2-way deal. Only $775,000 AAV, so good value there.

Free agency starts Monday.

I still think there's a good chance we re-sign Tanev, but there's a lot of chatter that Toronto wants him bad and is willing to give him a longer term. The Stars are comfortable at 3 years but would possibly consider 4. I was hoping they'd have it wrapped up before free agency starts because if they don't, my confidence drops considerably.

Stars are allegedly interested in Stamkos, Marchessault (if he doesn't re-sign with Vegas) and Sean Walker. I would love Tanev, Marchessault & Walker. If they did that and signed their RFAs, I'd say they'd basically be done. Might be hard to fit all of that under the cap though.

Jim Nill said the door is open for a non player role for Joe Pavelski. Pavs has said he wants to take time to coach youth hockey though. We'll see. Would be awesome to have him stay in the organization.

Schedule isn't being released until July 2nd for some reason.
Tksymm7
AG
Wow, I forgot that the stars only had a 1st, 5th and 7th this year. That is really thin.
shack009
AG
Our 5th round pick sounds like a Finnish name, but no way that could be right, could it?
FWAppraiser
AG
It has to be a bit at this point. We'll be the first exclusively Finnish team before Jim Nill is done with us.
FWAppraiser
AG
Toronto acquires Tanev's rights from the Stars.

Must have been clear that he wasn't going to re-sign.

WTF are we going to do with our blue line?
Legal Custodian
AG
Woah, did not expect that at all
Tksymm7
AG
I assume they'll go out and pick up some other free agents. Not a ton of else to do. Bichsel is also probably penciled in at this point.
FWAppraiser
AG
Only option at this point. Matt Roy is a potential trade target. Otherwise, going to have to go the free agent route.

Apparently it became evident just this weekend that Tanev's asking price was too much for the Stars. Had to get something for it, and zero doubt his agent has already worked something out with Toronto.
AgBQ-00
AG
Disappointed about the Tanev news
You do not have a soul. You are a soul that has a body.

We sing Hallelujah! The Lamb has overcome!
Danny Vermin
Jere Lehtinen is the top guy for Finnish Hockey so I'm sure he has alot of impact when it comes to drafting Fins.
Danny Vermin
Lots of noise Tanev wanted to finish his career in Toronto since it's his hometown so at least we got something for him. I trust Nill will solidify our defense somehow.
dvldog
AG
Sounds like it was also tied to the contract term he's looking for, which is understandable why the Stars would pass after the whole Suter fiasco.

TV Casualty
AG
I would do a 4 year deal without question. Anything longer than that and it's very risky.
FWAppraiser
AG
It was an either/or. Either high AAV or long term. Neither was in the range Dallas was comfortable.

On a related note, Dallas and Duchene are working on an extension ahead of Monday's free agency.
FWAppraiser
AG
Of the RFAs, only Thomas Harley got a qualifying offer. Matt Murray, Nils Lundkvist, and Sam Steel will all hit free agency tomorrow. This is baffling. Something big must be coming.
sburg2007
I didn't think they'd give nils a qo after what we saw or lack there of last season but steel surprised me
Danny Vermin
I'd really like Steel back. He's a good all around player.
sburg2007
Me too. He was a helluva 4th liner
Tksymm7
AG
We signed Oskar Back and Matej Blumel, so I would assume Steel not coming back is a product of those two moves.
shack009
AG

Steel back.
FWAppraiser
AG
Good move and makes a lot of sense. No reason to completely reconstruct your 4th line.
Letting Nils go was inevitable. DeBoer didn't trust him.
FWAppraiser
AG
So assuming Bourque and Bichsel are on the NHL roster, and Harley takes a bridge deal in the $4Mish range, we're at $76M.
That's for 11 forwards, 4 defensemen, and 1 goalie.

That leaves $12M for at least 2 forwards, 3 defensemen, and 1 goalie.

Duchene should be taking a team friendly deal, since he's still getting paid by Nashville. Petrovic is ideally an emergency call-up, but we might be looking at a 7th dman role for him given the cap situation. Nill is prepared to let Wedgewood walk because he doesn't want to spend much on a backup.

So maybe $7M for 2 defensemen and 1 forward? That's assuming we'll spend to the cap, which we probably won't. So we're either looking at a trade or one good defenseman signing then bargain hunting.

Ideally we'd make room to go out and get Matt Roy & Sean Walker. The blue line would stacked. Let free agency begin!

Edited to correct the math. We won't have a lot of money for moves, short of a trade.
FWAppraiser
AG
Chris Johnston is reporting that Duchene is coming back on a 1-year, +/- $3M deal. So the roster & cap look like this.

I so wish we could be rid of Faksa's contract. No way we should be paying that kind of money for a guy that will be healthy scratched a good number of games.

William Carrier is rumored to be on the Stars radar. It makes sense for that 4th line. He can probably be had for around $1M. If you can get a solid 3rd pairing defensemen for $1M or so, there's no reason we can't sign one of the top RHD out there and a decent backup goalie.

Oh, and HOME OPENER IS OCTOBER 12th!!!
FWAppraiser
AG
Matt Dumba is a Dallas Star.

And I hate it so much.
shack009
AG
FWAppraiser said:

And I hate it so much.
Oh my gosh. Maybe the person I hate the most in the entire league.
ProudAg16
AG
Booooooooo
Kashchei
AG
FWAppraiser said:

And I hate it so much.

I would rather we just kept Suter. Hate this move.
ProudAg16
AG
Kashchei said:

FWAppraiser said:

And I hate it so much.

I would rather we just kept Suter. Hate this move.

Would have much rather kept Suter. And about at the same price point, plus an added 2nd year
CoppellAg2009
AG
I swear if they pick up Ryan Reaves I might not watch any games this year.
gabehcoud
twilly
AG
"It's amazing how a new uniform can change your attitude about a guy.
(Covers mic) He's still a dick."

- Bob Uecker, Major League
Danny Vermin
****ing race baiting pos. It will be very difficult to cheer for dumbass.
Tksymm7
AG
Hopefully he's stuck on the third pair.
FWAppraiser
AG
Jim Nill has been pretty bad today.

Matt Dumba
Ilya Lyubushkin
Brendan Smith

No 13th forward on the roster (unless you count Blumel), and if you do, we're over the cap.

A trade has to be in the works.
First Page Last Page
Page 223 of 226

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.