*****Official Dallas Stars 2023-2024 Season Thread*****

479,742 Views | 7885 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Legal Custodian
ryanhnc10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'd let Duchene walk unless you get a crazy deal. Other than the puck falling for him perfectly to hit an empty net (it was a huge goal) he might have been our worst forward in the playoffs
FWAppraiser
AG
This is depressing. I'm going to bed.
TV Casualty
AG
Tksymm7 said:

2 years then sign me up. I just don't want another Suter situation.

Suter will be 40 when he finishes his contract. Tanev would be 38 at the end of a 4 year deal.

I'd rather see Tanev on a three year deal. I think he will likely be a good player for that length of time.

You never know how much teams will overpay for a defenseman though.
Tksymm7
AG
He's a tough one. I thought he was big in the regular season, but was a ghost in the playoffs.
All I do is Nguyen
So I'm guessing Canadian boobies won't help this pain? Dammit I thought this year was the year
Tksymm7
AG
The thing about Pavs that really kills me is that he went out doing absolutely nothing. I would feel better if he went out on a great personal run, tipping pucks and what not, but he went out being a complete ghost as well. Letting him choose to be done feels better than him being told to be done.
bmc13
AG

TV Casualty
AG
Tksymm7 said:

He's a tough one. I thought he was big in the regular season, but was a ghost in the playoffs.

It gets frustrating when Duchene is dancing around with the puck rather than making the simple play in front of him.

However, if he's gone then your team speed and overall goal scoring takes a hit.

I'd look elsewhere in free agency if Duchene isn't willing to take an another discount deal. Either way he'll get paid more than this year. I just wouldn't break the bank for him.

Nil has a lot of interesting decisions ahead of him.
TV Casualty
AG
I love what Joe Pavelski has brought to this team. I wasn't sure about signing him originally, but I have so much respect for that guy.

This post season has been rough for him, but Father Time is undefeated. Captain America just finally ran out of gas.
Phat32
AG
Get Pavelski and Suter the **** out.
gibberish
AG
I'd be ok with Pavs on the Mark Stone plan. LTIR for the cup.
Tksymm7
AG
Harsh, but true haha.
Buck Compton
AG
gibberish said:

I'd be ok with Pavs on the Mark Stone plan. LTIR for the cup.
Now there's an idea… Pavs was really solid earlier in the year. Keep him in shape, activate for playoffs.

It's apparently perfectly okay.
Tksymm7
AG
TV Casualty said:

Nil has a lot of interesting decisions ahead of him.

Not only this offseason, but next as well. This offseason they need to make decisions on Duchene, Pavelski, Hakanpaa, Tanev, Smith, Steel, Dellandrea, Lundqvist, and Wedgewood. I could make a real argument that the only guys they entertain bringing back are Steel, Tanev and Duchene, but it would have to he a really good number for both Tanev and Duchene. This doesn't even take into consideration guys like Suter and Faksa, who I think they would like to move off of, but maybe won't want to buy them out of their last years.
Legal Custodian
AG
Man, that Lundqvist trade is the only sizeable blemish on an otherwise near perfect roster management for Jim Nil these past 4-5 years. Should have listened to those Ranger fans that couldn't believe we gave up a first for him, I just thought they were typical NY/Boston fans trashing on a player after they left.
micahb2002
AG
Anyone who would let Tanev walk at market value for 3 years doesn't know hockey very well. If he will sign for $4.5 or so for 3 it's a no brainer. Suter will get another year on the third line. Pavelski is gone. Duchene is good on a discount but we won't match stupid money. He is similar to our former offensive defenseman Klingbetg as he disappears easily in playoffs. Wedgewood is good for another year until proven otherwise. He probably should have got some playoff time.
dvldog
AG
CapFriendly is really good at visualizing all of the contracts and cap hits by year if anybody wants to poke around.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/stars

TV Casualty
AG
Legal Custodian said:

Man, that Lundqvist trade is the only sizeable blemish on an otherwise near perfect roster management for Jim Nil these past 4-5 years. Should have listened to those Ranger fans that couldn't believe we gave up a first for him, I just thought they were typical NY/Boston fans trashing on a player after they left.

I wasn't a fan of that trade. It was a panicked move made because Harley had a bad camp and needed time in the AHL.

Seemed weird to trade for a guy who wasn't ready for the NHL, but also couldn't be sent down to the Texas Stars. Nils development was hurt by not being able to drop down to the AHL.
South Platte
Strange series. Seems like we were the better team. Lots of great young talent, so unlike many teams, our window appears to be open for a while.

Lots of chatter on some guys moving on, but what about Otter. Complicated topic?
micahb2002
AG
I also think we keep Haakanpa at a discount for his physicality. We were short on physicality with Roope and Tanev being injured and not having Haakanpa. In hindsight, we should have brought up Bischel for Game 5 to pound on McBaby. DeBoer is a great coach, but he may not have enough old school hockey for a Cup.
TV Casualty
AG
South Platte said:

Lots of chatter on some guys moving on, but what about Otter. Complicated topic?

Otter? He's not going anywhere.
micahb2002
AG
TV Casualty said:

South Platte said:

Otter? He's not going anywhere.
I have my private thoughts on people who regress when they get paid, but I don't want to be negative. I think we should have alternated goalies some in the playoffs. Otter was not good enough this series.
shack009
AG
I didn't see it that way. He only gave up 5 goals in the last two games and I believe 4 of them were on the power play. He didn't steal any games, but he also didn't lose any by himself in that series. It's not his fault we didn't get a power play goal in our last 7 games.

The bigger issues were in the middle of the ice, not between the sticks.
micahb2002
AG
Stealing a game or two, which he did in previous series, is required at every level to win a cup. He is a very good goalie, but not elite and was outplayed by Skinner.
shack009
AG
I think that's fair. Personally, I was way more concerned with the 5 in front of him the vast majority of the time.
micahb2002
AG
I think we were mostly fine at 5 on 5. Special teams was our weakness, and the refs (and I believe Toronto) deciding to even out the penalties really hurt with how good they are on the power play. If Roope and Tanev were healthy, we could have swept them.
South Platte
shack009 said:

I didn't see it that way. He only gave up 5 goals in the last two games and I believe 4 of them were on the power play. He didn't steal any games, but he also didn't lose any by himself in that series. It's not his fault we didn't get a power play goal in our last 7 games.

The bigger issues were in the middle of the ice, not between the sticks.
I don't watch enough hockey across the league to know better. It seems like Adin Hill and Skinner played out of their minds and that allowed Vegas and Edmonton to beat us. Otter has had some special moments too, although I can't recall that he's done it over several games in a row. Khudobin had an unconscious run like that in 2020.
TV Casualty
AG
Otter wasn't good in the regular season, but he was good in the playoffs.

I think he's a young goaltender who sometimes loses focus. To me he slots in at the second tier of goal tenders in the league.

I think the hype on him got a little over the top, but people overreact to that in the other direction.

He's a good goaltender and we would struggle to find a better one if we moved on. He's just not one of the top guys in the league yet.
Tksymm7
AG
He's a solid regular season goaltender who's shown to be elite in playoffs, in his career. He's just got to find that next gear of being elite for large stretches during the regular season. He's also going into his age 26 season and a contract year, so he would be heavily incentivized to have a career regular season...
micahb2002
AG
He had a really good series against Vegas and a good series against Colorado. He had a mediocre series against Edmonton but kept us in there a few times with good stops. If we score on McBaby's double minor in OT we could have been up 3-0 assuming the next two games go the same. Puck luck definitely went the other direction, which is how the playoffs go.
TV Casualty
AG
Joe Pavelski just retired. Going to miss that guy on this team, but it was time.
micahb2002
AG
He took our franchise forward.
Cappo
AG
still bummed y'all...thought this was the year
TexasRebel
AG
Cappo said:

still bummed y'all...thought this was the year

The final is exactly the opposite of what I thought.
TexasRebel
AG

First Page Last Page
Page 219 of 226

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.