******SEC Outdoor Track and Field Championship 2022******

21,292 Views | 391 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
Look Out Below
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's not just in-state. I think it's any connecting state...which is why they raid Texas for all the distance runners.
triniaggie
AG
Miller has been battling sinus infection according to Coach Henry

Texas A&M Quotes
Head Coach Pat Henry
on the team's finish…
"We didn't finish as a team the way I wanted us to finish, but we had a lot of good efforts. It's similar like last season, we didn't finish well in this meet, but we still ended up in second on the women's side at the national championships and sixth on the men's side. The big meet is in front of us. I want to win the SEC Championships, but once again you look who wins this meet and why they win this meet is the telling question."

on Laila Owens and Charokee Young
"Laila [Owens] did a good job today. I thought she could've finished third in the 200m but ended up in fourth but then she comes back and runs a 49-plus in the 4x400m relay. Charokee [Young] runs 50.45 but gets beat in this meet and that will be a situation that ends up helping her. She'll use what happened tonight to help her down the road."

on the half-mile group…
"Sam [Whitmarsh] looked fantastic in the 800m and probably had the surprise of the meet for everybody else, but not for us. We knew something good was coming, it was just a matter of when. Brandon [Miller] didn't look his best, he's been battling some sinus infection and just wasn't completely himself."

on some performances from Thursday and Friday…
"What Katelyn [Fairchild] and Lianna [Davidson] did in this competition speaks well for them as they move forward in their career. Those are two young athletes that don't fully understand how well they did in this meet. This is the SEC Championships and that doesn't happen very often. Lamara [Distin] clearing 6'4.75" is outstanding and she is out there jumping by herself. I thought Teddy [Radtke] finishing fourth in the steeplechase surprised a lot of people."
aggiebrad94
AG
triniaggie said:

Miller has been battling sinus infection according to Coach Henry

Texas A&M Quotes
Head Coach Pat Henry
on the team's finish…
"We didn't finish as a team the way I wanted us to finish, but we had a lot of good efforts. It's similar like last season, we didn't finish well in this meet, but we still ended up in second on the women's side at the national championships and sixth on the men's side. The big meet is in front of us. I want to win the SEC Championships, but once again you look who wins this meet and why they win this meet is the telling question."

Would someone explain this further?
coloradoag69
AG
I believe Coach Henry is saying as much as he feels comfortable about the inequity in non-revenue scholarships, but particularly in track and field, awarded by different institutions. Arkansas and now Alabama are particularly egregious offenders, although they are not violating any rules.

Specifically, those schools have found a way to award non-scholarship money to track athletes.

Look on page 11 to see more of a discussion. A&M is staying strictly within the rules, and it cuts down on the size of our squads. At some point, you'd hope people would step forward to equalize the situation, but don't hold your breath.
Houstonag
AG
I made this point earlier. Arkansas has been doing this for years. They simply flood the meet with their walk ons in distance events, some field, etc that are non track scholarships. Nebraska use to do this in football so they recruited the entire nation for kickers and other special team fellows that were placed on 'academic" scholarships. NCAA put a stop to this. 85 is now the limit.

Vanderbilt does something in baseball but I do not know the details. SEC commissioner ignores the matter.
coloradoag69
AG
To build on Houstonag's point, the "walkons" that show up at Arkansas aren't just practice fodder. Those guys and gals get points, at least in the SEC meets. A number of them come to Arkansas from outside the country to run. No one really knows how old they are or much about their background. But you can bet that they are taking little if any scholarship dollars, but are not paying for their time in school.

Need the NCAA to step in and create a level playing field.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
coloradoag69 said:

To build on Houstonag's point, the "walkons" that show up at Arkansas aren't just practice fodder. Those guys and gals get points, at least in the SEC meets. A number of them come to Arkansas from outside the country to run. No one really knows how old they are or much about their background. But you can bet that they are taking little if any scholarship dollars, but are not paying for their time in school.

Need the NCAA to step in and create a level playing field.
nil?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.