******SEC Outdoor Track and Field Championship 2022******

21,789 Views | 391 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
taylorswift13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I saw that too
Z3phyr
That finish on the 3rd leg too!
taylorswift13
AG
49.5 FOR LAILA OWENS OH MY GOD
Sports-Ag
AG
So close. A few more meters and I think the girls could have won.
Sports-Ag
AG
taylorswift13 said:

49.5 FOR LAILA OWENS OH MY GOD

Laila definitely did her thing
TRM
AG
That 1st exchange screwed us. The 1st leg for Kentucky veered into our lane and blocked us.
Look Out Below
AG
That was an incredible race, just like indoors.
Sports-Ag
AG
Our girls beat last year 4x400 time and still got second
taylorswift13
AG
5th in conference! Not bad! Now onto the bigger meet!
Look Out Below
AG
same thing happened indoors. crazy.
Houstonag
AG
I agree about the exchange. For some reason we have had problems with clean exchanges over the years. It can really help but the opposite is true. It can cost at least .2 seconds for each exchange.
Sports-Ag
AG
taylorswift13 said:

I hate Arkansas

Still blows my mind how they aren't in contention all the time in nationals after always being in contention in SEC
Houstonag
AG
Arkansas provides more scholarships therefore more opportunity to score points. TAMU does not offer those scholarships. Some other SEC schools do the same thing.
taylorswift13
AG
You get 12.7 track scholarships. You can distribute the scholarships to build depth or go get monsters and give them lots of money to compete at nationals… it's obvious which one we do! You can have one Moitalel Mpoke and one Brandon Miller who give you chances at nationals or 4-6 solid conference contributors who won't make it to nationals but get you 6-7-8 in a conference meet.
TRM
AG
Houstonag said:

Arkansas provides more scholarships therefore more opportunity to score points. TAMU does not offer those scholarships. Some other SEC schools do the same thing.
It's the free in-state tuition program that gives them the depth advantage.
Sports-Ag
AG
taylorswift13 said:

You get 12.7 track scholarships. You can distribute the scholarships to build depth or go get monsters and give them lots of money to compete at nationals… it's obvious which one we do! You can have one Moitalel Mpoke and one Brandon Miller who give you chances at nationals or 4-6 solid conference contributors who won't make it to nationals but get you 6-7-8 in a conference meet.

Makes sense
taylorswift13
AG
Which 4 guys would you put on our relay?
TRM
AG
I thought Chevannie looked pedestrian on his leg but together with Bamidele it was good 2 legs. Cutler had a nice 45.8 split. Etiwe looked like he was in mud compared to those anchors.
Sports-Ag
AG
So no Miller in the 4x400. Have a young 4x400 team
taylorswift13
AG
I'd go Moitalel Mpoke - Emmanuel Bamidele - Chevannie Hanson - Brandon Miller
Houstonag
AG
There are scholarships given by Ark that do not count against the track allocation number. They are walk ons and show up in the distance category most of the time. I believe they are called institutional and TAMU does not fund those type of scholarships. I am repeating what I have been told by TAMU staff.

Just look at the headcount of participants on the Arkansas team as opposed to TAMU. In state tuition does help but Arkansas goes further.
taylorswift13
AG
TRM said:

I thought Chevannie looked pedestrian on his leg but together with Bamidele it was good 2 legs. Cutler had a nice 45.8 split. Etiwe looked like he was in mud compared to those anchors.
Etiwe and Hanson had a rough weekend
taylorswift13
AG
Houstonag said:

There are scholarships given by Ark that do not count against the track allocation number. They are walk ons and show up in the distance category most of the time. I believe they are called institutional and TAMU does not fund those type of scholarships. I am repeating what I have been told by TAMU staff.
other schools do this too, I hate it
war hymn aggie
AG
I ran the 4X400 over 40 years ago & I still get an adrenline rush just watching this event!!!

My favorite race of the meet.
taylorswift13
AG
Sports-Ag said:

So no Miller in the 4x400. Have a young 4x400 team
maybe saving his legs! He needs the rest lol
taylorswift13
AG
Humble Summer Creek High School just ran a 3:10 LOL
TRM
AG
We're not as good as some of the other teams this year without a dominant anchor. Maybe I'd run Hanson, Mpoke/Etiwe/Schwartzman, Cutler, and Bamidele in that order.
Houstonag
AG
Me too. Ours was the "Mile Relay". Almost 60 years ago.
TRM
AG
He does need to save his legs. He's kind of lagged since Jones of Texas ran the 44 split and ran past him in the 4x4.
blommy
With NIL in play now, the scholarship advantage should be less of an issue in the coming years.
taylorswift13
AG
blommy said:

With NIL in play now, the scholarship advantage should be less of an issue in the coming years.
makes sense, but one of our best athletes who I'm sure was on full scholarship left to tu for an NIL deal, she probably could have gotten here if she tried lol
coloradoag69
AG
There is also that the track scholarships have to be used for cross country as well. Indoor and outdoor track and cross country all use the same scholarships.

The cross country distance is 5000m, exactly the distance where the Arkansas men placed 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. The Pigs are a consistent SEC cross country power.

It's always interesting to watch the SEC distance runners fade dramatically at the national meet. The points in the longer distances are almost always won by schools in the west, where they can benefit from altitude training for the longer events. Several eastern schools who seem to have ties to Kenyan runners also do well in the national distance events.

Runners from eastern Africa and the Caribbean islands find their way to US schools and really affect the competition. I know A&M has had its share of those runners, particularly the sprinters, but no one really knows their age or even if they are receiving additional money. I think it's a mess.

Pat Henry has done a magnificent job making A&M teams extremely competitive at the national outdoor meets. It will be interesting to see if NIL money tilts the traditional national track and field powers.
taylorswift13
AG
Taylorswift13's SEC Meet MVPs

Women: Lamara Distin, Kaylah Robinson, Laila Owens, Deshae Wise

Men: Moitalel Mpoke, James Smith, Sam Whitmarsh, Teddy Radtke
taylorswift13
AG
By tomorrow night we should know who's qualified to the National Preliminaries and who's on the bubble! Here's a link to the list! Should be fully updated tomorrow night after other conference meets end!

https://www.tfrrs.org/lists/3713/2022_NCAA_Div._I_West_Outdoor_Qualifying/2022/o
blommy
No doubt in my mind tu is where they are this year because of NIL. Hopefully we can take advantage of NIL to build our own depth and keep our best athletes in Aggieland.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.