Australian Rules Football

1,890 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ZofranAggie
ZofranAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone else here watch the AFL? I've been getting into it more and more since living overseas and hanging out with some Aussies. It's a pretty sweet game. Fast-paced, violent, dudes are athletic as hell.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Nick Toohey
AG
Greatest game on earth Zofran - Feel free to jump on the Essendon Bombers!
xcaggie08
AG
I've watched it on and off since we travelled to Australia back in 2014, went to a North Melbourne - Essendon game and chose North Melbourne since they were the Kangaroos...didn't realize I'd picked one of the worst teams in the league but they are my team now!
ZofranAggie
AG
Haven't picked a team yet but it's been fun as heck to watch. It's nonstop and fast paced. Good stuff!
I watched the Collingwood-West Coast Grand Final at the recommendation of an Aussie friend and have been interested since!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Nick Toohey
AG
xcaggie08 said:

I've watched it on and off since we travelled to Australia back in 2014, went to a North Melbourne - Essendon game and chose North Melbourne since they were the Kangaroos...didn't realize I'd picked one of the worst teams in the league but they are my team now!
Reckon I was at that game!
Nick Toohey
AG
ZofranAggie said:

Haven't picked a team yet but it's been fun as heck to watch. It's nonstop and fast paced. Good stuff!
I watched the Collingwood-West Coast Grand Final at the recommendation of an Aussie friend and have been interested since!
Cracking game of footy that was. 3 weeks left in the finals series if anyone is thinking about getting on board, now is the time!
StinkyPinky
AG
I lived in Australia for 5 years during high school. I made the transition from playing American Football (Gridiron as the Aussie's call it) to Aussie Rules. It was a blast, and made it even more fun to watch. We lived south of Perth at the time (Western Australia) so West Coast Eagles was my team. Glad that they show more of it here in the States now and always catch the Grand Final every year.
ZofranAggie
AG
I have to say, thus far I've been partial West Coast and Nic Naitanui but I'm not going to pick a club yet.

Aus is on my bucket list, I really want to go for a visit and watching a game live is surely on the to-do list.
StinkyPinky
AG
ZofranAggie said:

I have to say, thus far I've been partial West Coast and Nic Naitanui but I'm not going to pick a club yet.

Aus is on my bucket list, I really want to go for a visit and watching a game live is surely on the to-do list.

Worth the time and cost to visit. Amazing country with amazing people.

Fremantle Dockers is a newer Western Australia team that people like. Don't know a ton about them.
ZofranAggie
AG
Most of my knowledge about Freo comes from this incredible call during their game with West Coast. "Serong...so right!" Brilliant.

gggmann
AG
I watched a couple of matches on TV when traveling through Asia. It's mildly entertaining, certainly better than Cricket IMO.

My sister lived in Queensland, and most of the Aussies I know are from that region. Since it's east of the Barassi line they follow Rugby League and Rugby Union a lot more than AFL.
StinkyPinky
AG
gggmann said:

I watched a couple of matches on TV when traveling through Asia. It's mildly entertaining, certainly better than Cricket IMO.

My sister lived in Queensland, and most of the Aussies I know are from that region. Since it's east of the Barassi line they follow Rugby League and Rugby Union a lot more than AFL.

The one day cricket tests can be fun to watch. But the long formats that go on for days is an absolute ass whipping.
Nick Toohey
AG
Bonzer103 said:

gggmann said:

The one day cricket tests can be fun to watch. But the long formats that go on for days is an absolute ass whipping.
You guys misunderstand tets cricket! Nothing better than having the test match on the TV in the background over the summer. You more follow, than watch the game. Tuning in for the big moments of the game.

The AFL is making big inroads into Qld! COVID meant the last part of the 2020 season was played in Brisbane and this has had a huge impact on the game.
Nick Toohey
AG
ZofranAggie said:

Nic Nat is close to my favourite player from another team. It's so good to see him finally playing a full season. Has really struggled to stay healthy
StinkyPinky
AG
Nick Toohey said:

Bonzer103 said:

gggmann said:

You guys misunderstand tets cricket! Nothing better than having the test match on the TV in the background over the summer. You more follow, than watch the game. Tuning in for the big moments of the game.

The AFL is making big inroads into Qld! COVID meant the last part of the 2020 season was played in Brisbane and this has had a huge impact on the game.

Yea, I'm sure the more familiarity with the players definitely affects engagement.
My years in Australia the big names were Alan Border, Geoff Marsh, David Boon. And of course the legendary Curtly Ambrose with the WI which were always phenomenal tests
ZofranAggie
AG
Brisbane v Western. Wildness!!!
ZofranAggie
AG
Who do y'all have advancing to Grand Finals? I'm gonna be boring and pick Melbourne v PA.
Nick Toohey
AG
ZofranAggie said:

Who do y'all have advancing to Grand Finals? I'm gonna be boring and pick Melbourne v PA.

Incredible result last night. This grand final could be anything. Starts everywhere which is exciting, but hard to tip anything other than a Melbourne win
ZofranAggie
AG
For sure. Should I be surprised with how badly the Doggies crushed Port Adelaide? I really thought the Power were a lock for the Grand Finals after watching them late in the season.
Nick Toohey
AG
ZofranAggie said:

For sure. Should I be surprised with how badly the Doggies crushed Port Adelaide? I really thought the Power were a lock for the Grand Finals after watching them late in the season.
yes and no. Port have lost a few prelim finals at home of recent times, whilst the Bulldogs are a team who when they bring it like they did, are as good as it gets.
MAROON
AG
My neighbors daughter married one of the most famous Aussie rules football guys (I think he's now a color commentator). They show up here for a month at a time once a year. Guy is a physical freak
Nick Toohey
AG
MAROON said:

My neighbors daughter married one of the most famous Aussie rules football guys (I think he's now a color commentator). They show up here for a month at a time once a year. Guy is a physical freak
haha Nick Riewoldt. One of the bravest footballers of all time. He married a Baylor girl from memory!

Can't even describe how good an athlete he is.

MAROON
AG
When he walks down the street with his gorgeous wife and their perfect sons all the Moms in the neighborhood swoon

Yes - huge Baylor family
ZofranAggie
AG
That's essentially what the Fox Footy guys said. Western at their best can win a flag. Will be interesting to see which version shows up, though Melbourne seem to be the favorites.
Nick Toohey
AG
It is a fairly standard view. Dogs match up well through the middle with Melbourne.

Has the umpire made a mistake on Twitter a great way to learn and understand the rules.
ZofranAggie
AG
Awesome. Will check it out. Have been watching news clips on YouTube with an AFL glossary pulled up alongside, along with listening to podcasts.
Ag 11
AG
Collingwood Magpies
ZofranAggie
AG
Mason Cox!
ZofranAggie
AG
Y'all getting up early on Saturday to watch Grand Finals? I'll be up at 0400 with coffee in hand.
Nick Toohey
AG
ZofranAggie said:

Mason Cox!

Won't be at the magpies next year I'd think. Potentially, won't be in the league.
ZofranAggie
AG
The Dees!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.