Does anyone else here like Boxing?

6,572 Views | 130 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Reginald Cousins
Joe Boudain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Fury knocks wilder out cold for the KO. One of the best fights I've ever seen. Good lord
aggiephoenix02
I'm so tired, I'll post more tomorrow.

BUT!

That may have been the greatest fight I've ever seen...
aggiephoenix02
Joe Boudain said:

Kownacki disgraceful showing as he gets DQ'd after 3 blatant nut punches.
All three were absolutely obvious and yes... DISGRACEFUL!

I had a lot of respect for Kownacki before this fight. THAT'S ALL GONE.

Lose with some dignity.

I want to see Helenius fight again, he was very impressive. He was their last fight too, but he looks like he took his game to a whole new level...
AG
That was one of the greatest fights I've ever watched.
Joe Boudain
Still in awe of the fight. Can't wait to watch it again.

Deontay Wilder cemented his reputation as the best puncher in boxing, and I can't remember when I've seen a dude last 8 round more after I thought he was toast.

Really hope that's the end of the Fury-Wilder match ups. It needs to end on that high note.

Usyk and Fury are probably my two favorite fighters right now, but I'm not sure I want to see them fight each other, 60 pounds is just too much of a difference. I would still like to see Fury fight AJ, just because that fight needs to happen, but I doubt there's much excitement for anyone to put that on.

Couple of fights I would like to see in the near future. Helenius-Joyce and Ruiz-Chisora.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Anybody know when they will replay the fight on regular espn, or something non ppv? Yes, I am cheap.
aggiephoenix02
I just woke up, went to sleep around 2:30am.

We were all at my table at The I-10 IceHouse. They had switched over all the TV showing college football around 7:30pm. Later, out of the blue, my cousin passed his phone over to me showing me the final score of the A&M Bama game.

I was pleasantly surprised, what a great night...

Edit: and my Braves won and leveled their series against the Brewers...
Joe Boudain
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxing/heavyweight-boxer-warned-not-blow-25202139

Sounds like Kownacki's injuries were even worse than they appeared. Dude needs to hang them up.

BoxingAg84
Just now running across this thread! My username checks out. What a crazy weekend. I had the Wilder-Fury fight on one screen and Ags-Gumps on the other. We were going so crazy watching the game that I actually missed the first two rounds of the fight.

Wilder really screwed himself by putting on the extra muscle. That makes your arms too freaking heavy. He actually fought Fury better the first fight when he came in at 212. I knew the extra muscle would come back and bite him in the ass if the fight went into the later rounds. Believe it or not, Fury's non-muscular body type is built for endurance.

But whatever the case. Wilder fought much better this time around, but Fury was just too skilled. Fury put all the rumors to rest that came about after the second fight because Wilder looked nearly the same damage-wise as he did in the second fight. Wilder came out jabbing to the body, giving different looks. But as soon as he got dropped, he defaulted back to the same old Wilder. Live and die by the right hand.

The fight had everything you could ask for. Bad blood, pre-fight controversy, ebb and flow, both fighters going down.....the works. Great fight for sure. Ali-Frazer? Not quite. Bowe-Holyfield? It may have supplanted it.

Where does Fury go from here? The only logical opponent is Usyk after he beats Joshua again. It will likely be a tactical chess match which will turn lots of fans off. However, if Fury unifies and collects all the belts, he'll cement his legacy as one of the all-time greats. As for Wilder, he really needs to do some soul searching. The kind of punishment he's taken in the last two fights really needs to be take into account. It was brutal. At 36, how much more can he really absorb. Being knocked out stays with you. I just don't know if he can bounce back.

However, if he does decide to give it a go, he needs to fight Joshua in a sort of a losers-bracket fight. The public was robbed of this fight when both guys were undefeated and at their zenith. So hopefully they can still salvage what's left on that bone.

Hopefully we can get get more boxing discussion on here!
Joe Boudain
Hey more blood that's great. I was totally confused by Wilder's new strategy as well. It was hard for me to tell if his jab to the body was actually working in the first round, or just confused and surprised Fury so much he had to spend the entire round figuring out his strategy.

As you said though, past round 1 he completely abandoned his plan and seemed like an even more stereotypical version of himself. Literally nothing but gigantic off balanced haymakers. One of which connected and rebooted the ole Fury cpu. I don't think the 2nd knockdown was very punishing, I think Fury was still off balance from the first one and got pushed over.

Where does Wilder go next? Good question. It feels like there's Fury and Wilder and Joshua as the 3 "money" guys in the division. And then you have Usyk who may be the best fighter, but no one really considers a heavyweight and isn't that exciting.

Then you have the aging "can't ever quite seem to make the limelight" crew of Ortiz, Parker, Whyte and maybe now Helenius.

Some young blood in Joyce (even though he's pretty old, he's new), Michael Hunter is making a little bit of noise, hell I think even Jarrell Miller can start fighting again in 6 months.

So unfortunately, Joshua killed the heavyweight division hype. There just aren't that many blue chip boxers now that Joshua has lost his 2nd fight in two years.
Joe Boudain
anybody catch the Garcia-Martin fight last night on DAZN? Martin definitely got the victory, but depressing that Garcia now has losses to Errol Spence and *checks notes* Sandor Martin
BoxingAg84
Joe Boudain said:

anybody catch the Garcia-Martin fight last night on DAZN? Martin definitely got the victory, but depressing that Garcia now has losses to Errol Spence and *checks notes* Sandor Martin
Not only did Garcia have a 20 month layover, but he was sitting fat and happy after Eddie Hearn gave him $7M to fight Vargas. He was purchasing Bentley's, Rolls Royce's and all kinds of other toys. Just living it up. Bottom line, he lost his hunger for boxing, but found his hunger at the buffet line.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Did anyone watch boxing in this past olympics? Particularly the heavyweight. The young guy that won the gold looked really good. Anyone know his progress? Will we see him on Saturday nights sometime in the future?
Joe Boudain
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Did anyone watch boxing in this past olympics? Particularly the heavyweight. The young guy that won the gold looked really good. Anyone know his progress? Will we see him on Saturday nights sometime in the future?

Cruz is an odd duck, career amateur but he's gotten something like 11 Gold medals when you add up the 2 Olympic Golds he has, plus the ones from the World Championships and PanAm games.

Unfortunately, Cubans aren't allowed to turn Pro, seriously.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the-sun.com/sport/3507738/cuba-olympic-boxers-pro-girls-flee/amp/

Cruz is a huge supporter of the Communist government, so has no desire to turn pro it seems. Other Cuban pros have had to flee the country in order to turn pro.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Was not aware that anyone but Raul supported the communist party.

Upon some googling, saw that the silver medalist, Torres Jr. is going pro. I liked his style. I hope he does well. https://www.fresnobee.com/vida-en-el-valle/deportes/article253594989.html
Joe Boudain
Probably one of the best days for combat sports I can remember between the Canelo v Plant fight and the ridiculously stacked UFC card.

Very happy for Plant, he has apparently secured a flat $10,000,000 purse for tonight, while Canelo is taking home a whopping $40,000,000.

Should be a great fight, obviously I think Canelo wins but think plant has a better chance than anyone else of knocking Canelo out
94 Aggie
Golden Gloves Dallas. I met Alexis Arguello back in the day, shook his hand in the late 80s.
Class of 94. We never lost at Kyle Field!
Joe Boudain
Andrade is fighting tonight on DAZN, he's fighting a nobody but I really like him as a fighter so I'll probably tune in.

Excited for Crawford vs Porter tomorrow. After that is a pretty long drought for decent matches
Joe Boudain
Andrade finally took care of business last night, but what a ridiculous fight that was. Quigley had zero right to be in that ring, and Andrade didn't need to break a sweat, just threw gigantic hooks and overhand rights at him, knocking him down 3 times in 5 minutes of action.
monarch
S
"I get paid to beat people up; what do you do?"

Don't like boxing or MMA; don't like women doing either.
Peace for Ukraine!
BoomGoesThe
I guess you didn't see the Kambosos win coming? (neither did I). I completely disagree with you though. We have Haney vs JoJo Diaz, Algeri vs Benn, Loma vs Commey, Parker vs Chisora, and GGG vs Murata to close out the year.

That's not including the Fulton vs Figueroa fight that I haven't had a chance to go watch yet. I think it's an incredible end to the year.
Scientific
AG
Lopez needs a new trainer. His dad was awful in the corner last night. I called this before the fight, Kambosos looked in much better shape. Even though Lopez is the much gifted fighter? His talent alone, wasn't going to be a guarantee.

I think I was more shocked that the judges card didn't rob George, more than the actual win. I was expecting a draw from the hometown judges. They got it righ.
Joe Boudain
BoomGoesThe said:

I guess you didn't see the Kambosos win coming? (neither did I). I completely disagree with you though. We have Haney vs JoJo Diaz, Algeri vs Benn, Loma vs Commey, Parker vs Chisora, and GGG vs Murata to close out the year.

That's not including the Fulton vs Figueroa fight that I haven't had a chance to go watch yet. I think it's an incredible end to the year.

No way no how did anyone see that coming, I think Lopez was +2000 in Vegas to win yesterday.

All of the other fights except for Haney vs Diaz, are kinda "meh" for me. Love GGG but Murrata hasn't fought in 2 years, and this definitely wasn't the fight that GGG wanted. The first Chisora vs Parker was a good fight but they're getting long in the tooth.

Loma vs Commey is actually pretty exciting now that I think about it, so you may have a good point there.

Milwaukees Best Light
AG
The pimp outfit Jared Anderson is wearing now is freaking awesome. Man, I hope he keeps winning!
Milwaukees Best Light
AG

Reginald Cousins
S
Loma could have been a GOAT of all GOATs had he not been used up by commies.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.