A&M VBall

2,157 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by nereus
Chapa96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
2021 roster is out. Looks like setter Camille Conner is back.
Pioneer
Extremely weak pre conference schedule with the exception of tu and Hawaii. Looking at the schedule, I see 17-10 as acceptable. (only get Florida once, but face Kentucky twice and Missouri twice. LSU will be tough with DeBerg (ex mizzou) playing there now. Anything less is another failure by this coach. Better. not get swept again by miss state.
Wicked Good Ag
Question is will we be better than last season...

most starters return....both middles, setter, outsides and have Cox the transfer who could play on a pin and Rush who platooned with Jeter (left for ASU) on the right

but did we elevate the roster enough to make a big stride forward?

the schedule is somewhat favorable based upon implosion of Missouri program and others that we can beat

We lost some headscratchers last year and if we can beat the middle of the pack we should be top half of the conference but more towards the middle then top

If we lose to the middle of the pack i can see us only ahead of Auburn, Miss State, Missouri and maybe Alabama

kwammer
definitely not taking a big step forward. Just not any difference makers at the pins still.
waco
Question about A&M volleyball elite volleyball camp they held last week. It looked like there was a select few that were segregated from the camp and just scrimmaged the entire time in the vb practice gym.

Is this typically how A&M or other programs run camps? They must invite prospects and some were even commits. It looked like to me they were intentionally hidden for most of the camp but Kuhn brought them out to have a "campers vs aggies" scrimmage in front of everyone towards the end of the camp.
Pioneer
That is how the coaches get to watch their players play without breaking NCAA rules. (camp scrimmages)

Don't count Missouri out... yes, they lost a few, but also had some good recruits and a couple of transfers in needed positions. I like to go check out the rosters of all the opponents and Missouri is very tall. I think they will still be tough.

Kentucky and Florida will continue to dominate the conference.

The good news is Auburn, Alabama, Miss State, and Ole Miss are very weak. Losses to Miss State again this year will be unacceptable.
waco
Pioneer said:

That is how the coaches get to watch their players play without breaking NCAA rules. (camp scrimmages)

Don't count Missouri out... yes, they lost a few, but also had some good recruits and a couple of transfers in needed positions. I like to go check out the rosters of all the opponents and Missouri is very tall. I think they will still be tough.

Kentucky and Florida will continue to dominate the conference.

The good news is Auburn, Alabama, Miss State, and Ole Miss are very weak. Losses to Miss State again this year will be unacceptable.
Interesting. So I'm guessing there are special invites to camp for prospects and commits at a reduced cost compared to everyone else?

If you are a grade 9-12 and aren't in that select group than that pretty much tells you that A&M does not consider you a prospect at all. I saw some good players with the regular campers but it seemed to be all camp volunteers and players running the camp so not sure how a real coach would even notice if there was anyone.

They grouped them two groups, the top tier stayed in Reed and of that top group it appeared they broke them out in tiered groups from there, but even that top group got zero looks from any of the real coaches.

flintdragon
AG
Yeah, that's how I remembered the camp when my daughter went to it a couple summers ago. It was a good time and she got to meet some players she's played against in various tournaments around the state. It's possible the best of the "non-invites" may have gotten a second look but for the most part, coaches were only interested in the invitees. I think both groups only mixed it up during the scrimmage/mini-tournament in the end.

It's a fun time especially if your kid follows Aggie vball and recognize some of the players who may be coaching you. And you get an Aggie ball to take home.
Pioneer
tu to the SEC is a real kick in the groin to the volleyball program. The SEC was lucky to get 3 teams in the tournament a year.
Jack Pearson
AG
Is that right that the entire freshman class from last year left ?

That doesnt look good, I would think the pressure to win this year is high.
nereus
AG
Pioneer said:

tu to the SEC is a real kick in the groin to the volleyball program. The SEC was lucky to get 3 teams in the tournament a year.
People are always complaining about them. First we were in the conference with them. Then we went to the SEC and people complained that we always got sent to Austin for regionals because we weren't in their conference. Now we are back to complaining about being in a conference with them.

Also, if the SEC is better at volleyball, we will get more programs in. We need to take care of our own business (regardless of what conference t.u. is in) and it will work itself out.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.