**** Aggies at US Track and Field Trials****

59,626 Views | 755 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Anchorhold
Sodadude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
But Fred coming through salves the wound. Gutsy move pays off. Incredible!
taylorswift13
AG
So many NCAA athletes were at a disadvantage! They really need to push it to be beginning of June at least!
Pahdz
taylorswift13 said:

I'm nowhere near a 100 meter expert BUT HOW DO YOU HIT TOP SPEED AT 90 METERS LMAO! There's so much room to grow with that! He can get to 9.80 or lower! A full month of 100 work left to go!

You're a 400 guy that's why
taylorswift13
AG
So you're telling me he's going 19.5 in the 200 next weekend Pahdz
StinkyPinky
AG
taylorswift13 said:

I'm nowhere near a 100 meter expert BUT HOW DO YOU HIT TOP SPEED AT 90 METERS LMAO! There's so much room to grow with that! He can get to 9.80 or lower! A full month of 100 work left to go!

He was fairly slow out of the blocks both races. That first potential FS probably spooked him. If he can get a quick reaction he has a chance. Can't wait!
taylorswift13
AG

Z3phyr
That's a stupid fast race, excited for some red white and blue domination in Tokyo (and glad we arent taking the doper)
Pahdz
I'm really excited to see what he and Bednarik can pull off in the 200
littlebitofhifi
AG
Sorry if this is a dumb question but how are the relay participants & alternates (if any) determined?
Pahdz
For the record when it comes to the 4x100 I'm solidly in the "grant Holloway deserves a spot" camp
taylorswift13
AG
Also a little glad that after a whole week of sucking up to Noah Lyles and calling it his race... he ends up not qualifying and losing to a 400 guy that they never talked about till after each race!
taylorswift13
AG
littlebitofhifi said:

Sorry if this is a dumb question but how are the relay participants & alternates (if any) determined?
Pahds probably knows more but I think they have a relay pool of the top 4 finalists maybe top 6 in the event and then they can choose up to two other athletes!
taylorswift13
AG
Pahdz said:

For the record when it comes to the 4x100 I'm solidly in the "grant Holloway deserves a spot" camp
oh good thank God Im not the only one thinking that! I want him on that curve so bad! Let's go Baker-Bromell-Holloway-Kerley for the final!
taylorswift13
AG
taylorswift13
AG
taylorswift13
AG
DEAD
littlebitofhifi
AG
Sodadude
AG
littlebitofhifi said:

Wow! How do they do that now? I thought it was top 6. Is it coach's decision now?
Z3phyr
Wait is he an alternate or on the relay? Either Let's ******* Go Bryce!!!!
taylorswift13
AG
Just realizing that was the last time we'll see Bryce Deadmon step out onto the track wearing an A&M singlet... what a ride it's been for that young man!
taylorswift13
AG
Maybe all 8 get to go lol! I know the US usually switches up the relays for preliminary races to save the other guys for the final or individual races! With some rest of more than a week, we know Bryce can split a 43! Would love to see him run a preliminary!
Sodadude
AG
I can't find the rules for 2021, but searching around I found some stuff on previous World Championships where it sounds like there is a pool and at some point before the competition they select the 6 that are on the team. I guess its like a training camp.
tk for tu juan
The coaches select a pool of 6 runners for the relay, it is not required to be the top 6 in times. They must have a specific leg in mind for Deadmon
Spider Monkey
AG
https://www.kxan.com/sports-general/japan-2020/taylors-fred-kerley-qualifies-for-tokyo-olympics-in-100-meter-baylors-bromell-wins/?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=socialflow&fbclid=IwAR3ySYBtK8wAIQf9OHbfPodYFLMF05zajLLpMK_PwSmQtiGxU0BtSz5f13c
Sodadude
AG
tk for tu juan said:

The coaches select a pool of 6 runners for the relay, it is not required to be the top 6 in times. They must have a specific leg in mind for Deadmon

Is he on the team or is he in the pool from which they will select the team?
tk for tu juan
He is on the team. The pool gives the team options of what 4 runners to use at the different prelim heats and in the final relay. He may just get to run the prelim heats to help rest the final four runners, or he may run in every heat/final.
TRM
AG
There was one Olympics where they had to get guys from the 400 hurdles for the relay because of the injuries we had. Was that 2012?
Pahdz
Well hurdlers can be in the pool anyway. Rai Benjamin will be in it for sure. Same on the ladies side you'll have possibly all 3 of ours (assuming it's Little, Muhammed and McLaughlin) in it
Sodadude
AG
tk for tu juan said:

He is on the team. The pool gives the team options of what 4 runners to use at the different prelim heats and in the final relay. He may just get to run the prelim heats to help rest the final four runners, or he may run in every heat/final.
Unfortunately, I don't think this is true. I can't find an announcement but I did find the USATF selection rules and it says the top 4 in the 400 + 2 selected by the coaches will be in entered as the relay pool. Since Deadman and Wil London have already announced that means the coaches selected the 7th/8th place finishers over the 6th/7th and the 400 hurdlers like Rae Benjaman....and I'd find that surprising. Also, on the women's side Shae Anderson has made a similar announcement which would leave 1 spot between Athing Mu, Shamier Little, Sydney McLauflin etc. I find it highly improbable they picked Shae Anderson over those others.

So, I go back to the info I found on how they do the World Championship relay pool where they take 10 and then shortly before the competition they select the final 6 that are actually entered as the pool for the competition. I think Bryce gets to go to Tokyo and train but is not yet assured of running in the Olympics as part of the 6 man relay pool.
Look Out Below
AG
Keep in mind there is now a mixed 4x400 relay for the first time which will have prelims and finals. I'd bet this is the reason why all 8 are in the relay pool.

Congrats to Bryce!
Sodadude
AG
Selection Procedures 2020 Olympic Games Men's and Women's Track and Field
Amended June 18, 2020
Amended April 27, 2021

Relay Selection Criteria
For the men's and women's 4x100 meter and 4x400 meter relays, up to six (6) athletes may be entered as members of each relay pool. The four (4) athletes (including the alternate) entered in the respective individual events (100m and 400m) are required by World Athletics (IAAF) rules to be included in each pool. For each relay pool, in addition to the four (4) athletes listed above, there will be two (2) athletes selected. Selection of the two (2) additional athletes will be made by the USATF Head Relay Coach, in consultation and cooperation with the respective 2020 Olympic Games Head Coach or his/her designee, USATF's Chief of Sport Performance, USATF High Performance Division Chair and one non-competing athlete selected by USATF's Athletes Advisory Committee who has World Championship and/or Olympic experience in the 4x100m or 4x400m relays.

Mixed Relay Selection Criteria
For the mixed 4x400 meter relay pool, two (2) male and two (2) female athletes will be selected. Selection of these four (4) athletes will be made by the USATF Head Relay Coach, in consultation and cooperation with the respective 2020 Olympic Games Head Coach or his/her designee, USATF's Chief of Sport Performance, USATF High Performance Division Chair and one noncompeting athlete selected by USATF's Athletes Advisory Committee who has World Championship and/or Olympic experience in the 4x100m or 4x400m relays.
Z3phyr
Bryce, Mu, Beard mixed relay together?
Z3phyr
Great quick read!

https://spikes.worldathletics.org/post/fred-kerley-my-aunt-and-me

I think we need his Aunt to write a parenting book
taylorswift13
AG
Forgot about the mixed relay! Really gives Bryce a shot at running in Tokyo! That makes me excited! I wonder if the US will have people doubling those relays! Makes sense to have the top dogs in the men's 4x400 and get the other 400 finishers like Vernon Norwood and Bryce Deadmon a chance in the mixed relay!
taylorswift13
AG
Brazier runs at 7:28!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.