Dominique Mustin
Laila Owens
Summer Thorpe
Tierra Robinson-Jones
Charokee Young
Texas A&M Track & Field

WATCH: Highlights from Day 2 of the NCAA West Regionals

May 27, 2021

As expected the Texas A&M women were a force in the early going of the NCAA West Regional. Tyra Gittens led three long jumpers who qualified for Nationals, and Athing Mu was one of several runners advancing to Saturday's qualifying rounds of the NCAA West Regional.

Press Play above to watch Thursday’s highlights.

Official release from Texas A&M: 

Three Aggies Advance to NCAA Championships, Seven Qualify for Saturday’s Quarterfinals

BRYAN-COLLEGE STATION, Texas – Texas A&M’s long jump trio of Tyra Gittens, Deborah Acquah and Taryn Milton placed in the top 12 to advance to the NCAA Championships, while seven Aggies qualified for Saturday’s quarterfinals Thursday night in day two action of the NCAA West Regional at E.B. Cushing Stadium.

Competing in flight two of four in the long jump, Milton approached the runway in possibly the last attempt of her career. The senior soared out to 21-0.5 (6.41m), an all-time personal best making her the sixth best performer in Aggie history. Milton led the competition after the first two flights and her mark stood good enough to finish 11th overall punching her ticket to her first career NCAA Championships appearance.

“Ya know, my first jump I scratched and my second one was kind of shaky,” Milton said. “Going into the third one, I was thinking to myself ‘Okay Taryn, last one, best one.’ I kept telling myself that I can do this and try to stay relaxed. Don’t get too nervous and just keep my head in the game.”

Milton set the tone for the rest of the group as Gittens and Acquah followed suit with jumps over 21-feet. Gittens completed the competition as the top competitor with a mark of 22-9.75 (6.95m), while Acquah finished with the sixth best jump at 21-7.25 (6.58m).

Success for the Maroon & White carried over to the track as seven of the 10 Aggies advanced to Saturday’s quarterfinals. Three in the 400m, two in the 100m hurdles and one in each of the 400m hurdles and 200m.

"This puts you in a good position,” Head Coach Pat Henry said. “After a rest day, if you come back to get on the track with the same intensity that you had today, then you'll have a great opportunity to advance to the NCAA Championships."

Athing Mu and Charokee Young each won their 400m races, while Tierra Robinson-Jones placed second to earn automatic qualifying spots in Saturday’s quarterfinals. Mu won heat six with a time of 50.65, the fastest overall time in the first round. Young clocked the fourth fastest overall time winning heat four with an outdoor personal best time of 51.44. Robinson-Jones placed second in heat three at a time of 51.98, .04 seconds off her personal best.

100m hurdles duo of Kaylah Robinson and Summer Thorpe each ran personal bests to earn their lanes in the quarterfinals. Robinson won heat two with an all-conditions personal best time of 12.89 (w/2.7), while Thorpe ran a personal best 13.06 (w/2.0) to place third in heat six.

Freshmen, Dominique Mustin (400m hurdles) and Laila Owens (200m) advanced in their respective events. Mustin finished second in a competitive fourth heat that had the top three places finish within hundredths of a second within each other, Mustin ran 58.63. Owens advanced by time, she ran an all-conditions personal best time of 23.10 (w/2.8).

The men take over E.B. Cushing Stadium as Friday’s quarterfinal action begins on the track with the 4x100m relay at 5:30 p.m. The field events are scheduled to start with the high jump at 1 p.m.

Tickets can be purchased at the E.B. Cushing Stadium ticket office beginning at $15 for youth and $20 for adults, as well as online at 12thman.com/tracktickets.

Aggies Advancing to Eugene

Deborah Acquah, Long Jump - 21-7.25 (6.58m)
Tyra Gittens, Long Jump - 22-9.75 (6.95m)
Taryn Milton, Long Jump - 21-0.5 (6.41m)

Aggies Advancing to Saturday’s Quarterfinals

Kaylah Robinson, 100m Hurdles - 12.89 (w/2.7)
Summer Thorpe, 100m Hurdles - 13.06 (w/2.0)
Athing Mu, 400m – 50.65
Charokee Young, 400m – 51.44
Tierra Robinson-Jones, 400m – 51.98
Dominique Mustin, 400m Hurdles – 58.63
Laila Owens, 200m – 23.10 (w/2.8)

Discussion from...

WATCH: Highlights from Day 2 of the NCAA West Regionals

3,408 Views | 0 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TexAgs
There are not any replies to this post yet.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.