Volleyball Transfers

7,665 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by taylorswift13
mvegas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SIAP...
Morgan Davis is a graduate transfer to SE Louisiana to play basketball

https://lionsports.net/news/2021/4/15/womens-basketball-slu-adds-davis-for-2021-22.aspx

Claire Jeter is transferring to Arizona State

https://thesundevils.com/news/2021/5/6/womens-volleyball-sun-devil-volleyball-adds-transfer-claire-jeter
Wicked Good Ag
Basham also transferred after opting out for spring ball. Add in the Woodward sisters who switched to Howard University before the freshman year. It will be very interesting to see what happens for next year. I personally don't think we will be as good as this year unless Conner comes back for her Covid year

We will be the same in the middle and outside. Could have a 6-2 system with two setters and two right sides possibly but I just don't see any change to what we did this season. Jeter was a starter for quite a bit of season but we had Rush and the transfer Cox that will compete on the right if a 5-1 and both if run a 6-2 system.
Harry Dunne
Larry Bird was a bad hire. Time to cut bait and move on.
mvegas
Completely agree that replacing Camille Conner is a significant task since no one else on the roster has gotten playing time as setter.

Particularly key IMO will also be finding consistently effective OH play set-to-set and match-to-match. All of our OHs had moments of success, but they appeared to struggle to maintain that throughout matches. While depth is nice (of course), constantly tinkering with the lineup like this year just isn't going to work. I think there's also opportunity to use serves more often as an attacking tool. So many teams in this year's tournament had challenging servers across their lineups.

Hoping for lots of growth and development next season!
Wicked Good Ag
Freshman Hannah Larson has also entered the portal as well
russaggie
AG
She's not transferring, but Alison Fields will probably miss next season rehabbing her torn ACL.
Wicked Good Ag
https://instagr.am/p/CPGvjjQMUwB

added an international setter and a tall one
taylorswift13
AG
Nice addition she's 6'2.5 and a quality setter from Turkey, only 18 years of age as well! Here's a highlight video,
Ag4eva95
Landing her, does this mean Camille isn't coming back?
Ag4eva95
Melissa Walden is gone to New Mexico as well
Wicked Good Ag
cbmik95 said:

Landing her, does this mean Camille isn't coming back?

It is an interesting timeline.
Walden had already left before we picked up the Turkish setter and Walden was the heir to the setting position. But what concerns me is every single offensive player with a scholarship in last years class have left the program after one year.
russaggie
AG
It is definitely strange that so many freshman left after just one year. You have to wonder if taking all of the incoming transfers after last year's class had signed has anything to do with that. The two from Kansas and one from UNC all came in after the freshman had signed. Are there more transfers coming in? Anyone know how many incoming freshman there will be?
Ag4eva95
We are in a good position in my mind. My thinking.... Camille comes back for a season while catching the freshmen up to collegiate volleyball standards. She is easily one of the best international recruits in this years class.

I think this years class is full of role players. Potentially 3 freshmen. UNC transfer will probably start. That makes me think Lauren Davis will either lose her spot or move to the right. That also means Treyauna Rush will lose a spot.

Long story short, there is a lot of competition happening. The middle is slightly concerning. As is libero. 2022 class is full of studs. Still a lot to be excited about!
Wicked Good Ag
I honestly dont think we are in good shape. There is not one OH 1 on this team including the transfers if you want to be a Top 16 program. We have 4 OH 2 that have difficulty putting OOS balls away and or passing to where we bring in DS for that role on the back row.

The game is played now days on the pins and playing well OOS. We are beind in those areas. I have no problem with the middles we have had. Have we had an extremely elite one? No but we have had some solid ones and having a true OH1 in Hans shows how far we can go.

Lalrson leaving was understandable
Jeter leaving after being a starter for over half the season was a bit of surprise but maybe she wants to be a middle IDK
Walden leaving when she was possibly only setter on roster was also a concern.

The DS's we have on the roster all have the capability of being very good. Consistancy is the issue there. I have seen a DS each match play outstanding and then be less than average the next match.

As i stated in an earlier post and this one. You have to temrinate from the pins. if you can stay in system it is easier but we dont pass well enough collectively to do that at this point.

my concern is how many of the HS recruits that we can tie directly to Bird and staff have left the program or never entered the program.

in terms of the roster for next year

Frazier will get playing time at DS Libero IMO...saw her a few times in HS and club scene

Two setters coming in in 6'1" S Lauren Tam and Turkish setter listed above..with two setters incoming I can see a fight for starting position if Conner doesnt come back (I personally think she is not but a complete guess)
i can see us running a 6-2 system for the first part of the season.

1 OH a 5'10" OH Faye Wilbricht which to me looks like a right handed shorter Rush wih solid athletism but ball control seems non existant at this time for collegiate level

sharpdressedman
Wicked Good Ag said:

my concern is how many of the HS recruits that we can tie directly to Bird and staff have left the program or never entered the program.

Legitimate concern and point of inquiry. Her very liberal mindset appears to have created a culture that is very discomforting to some recruits, players and their parents. Losing support among loyal members of the fan base is also an issue.
Ag4eva95
Why would having an open opinion cause turmoil? I don't understand why you are judging her for her political views. You don't have first hand knowledge and that's an opinion. Let's not make accusations here.
taylorswift13
AG
Lol political opinions don't mean anything to a recruit, in fact most probably support her side lmao. Real fans stay and support the team and not run away over different opinions... that's immature
Ag4eva95
Thanks for the support here. I've coached club and collegiately. The volleyball community is very open and friendly. They mostly prefer that open opinion over anything. I've known players from the A&M team and can testify to this point
taylorswift13
AG
That's awesome and so great to see!! I've coached before as well, and I would never let any political feelings impact my relationship with my athletes. They should feel comfortable and at home in any environment. They always come first. And as a fan I could care less what my schools or teams athletes believe in, they can disagree with me on every single thing but anyone who wears my schools colors will receive my 100% support always. I will always support my Aggies.
Bridgewateraggies
There are real fans out there that hold to strong morals and beliefs that may not choose to support financially or attendance . They don't tout their own values, and expect the same from the coaches. That doesn't make them any less loyal to their university. Just coach!
Bridgewateraggies
How is he judging her? Absolutely stating facts. Just coach , coach. That's what she is paid for.
Bridgewateraggies
You are more right than you may know?
taylorswift13
AG
Lmao how contradictory and immature, you want her to just coach, why don't you "just cheer!" Shut up, grow up, and stop letting political differences hurt you. Bird can feel, think, believe, say whatever the hell she wants, as can you. The real fans are going to support her and our girls every set every game. I bet you don't care that Jimbo led a Black Lives Matter walk, or cancelled practices to have Black speakers come educate our young men. Grow up sweetheart :-)
Ag4eva95
Nothing about what he said was factual. Please find me something that proves this hypothesis of how a liberal coach leads to a bad culture. How do you even know what her political views are? She could be supporting something she believed in and something that knows is affecting her athletes.

Get off your high horse. Either support the program or quit complaining. Clearly you aren't invested enough to be worth an argument. Thanks and gig'em
Wicked Good Ag
If old ags were upset by the pre game issues this season this was a conference wide thing done not just a TAMU thing. As for her views I don't think players care near as much unless it creates a culture they are not comfortable with. I don't know if that is the case or not.
Two players that left the program didn't get playing time immediately and left. The other player a different position then she entered the program projected to be. I don't know if any of those players had issues with "her liberal views" as people are saying. The Woodward sisters left for HBC program Howard and I don't think that has anything to do with Rush but more the SJM we are seeing in America. If "her liberal views" are so pronounced then those two girls made have stayed in that type of program if they wanted to play for a coach like some make Bird out to be.

The loss of the number 3 recruit Wennas a while back really hurt to have an OH1 and she is struggling to get playing time at Minnesota and may even be another year because they had a starter on outside commit to another senior year.

Ag4eva95
I can agree with this. With Weenas at Minnesota, that stuff happens with coaching changes. If Corbelli had stayed, she would be here. Who knows, she might transfer out and come back home one day. She is falling behind on the depth chart there.

As for the state of the program, I don't think we are recognizing the ceiling increasing for our team. Corbelli's teams always had a ceiling of the Sweet 16. Morgan Christon is hard to ignore, if she stays healthy we would have been close to an NCAA birth. We were playing well before she was injured. I dont think enough credit is being given to the UNC transfer. I truly think that she could provide a .250 hitting percentage and 3.5 points per set. Depending on the growth on Davis and Rush, we could be in a good position to finish top 3 in conference. I think we have the hitters, our first contact has to improve. We had way to many overpasses on freeballs and too many 1/2 passes on serve receive.

Keys to success
1. Serve Receive
2. OOS attacking
3. Aggressive serving
4. Finding the hot hitters
coloradoag69
AG
Thanks for the frank discussion. Through my volleyball playing niece (played in NJ) I've learned to enjoy A&M volleyball, but I know nothing of the strategy. These discussions are helpful.

With some feedback from players in other programs, I suspect that the coach's views aren't very important unless they prohibit her interactions with the players or are so extreme that they really grate on the players' sensibilities. There is a tendency on TexAgs to accuse virtually every coach of a team that some readers feel is under performing, to not be conservative enough politically. That's just seems to be part of the TexAgs DNA.

If Bird and the team make the NCAA tournament this season I'm willing to bet virtually all this will be forgotten.
Wicked Good Ag
If all we want is to make the tourney then we could easily have stayed with Corbellis. We wanted to move past that.

We made the Sweet 16 two years ago Hans senior year and most of that was with Corbelli players sans Gomez at the Libero position and Rush on the right.

As for our team this season there was NO WAY we were making the tourney regardless of Morgan going down. Not a chance. Minimal spots available. We were out of the running after the fall season unless we sweep Florida and Kentucky in the Spring and all other matches were wins as well

Could Cox score 3.5 per set ?? Sure but doubtful that would even be enough and she passes not at a OH1 level.
We should strive for being third in conference over the next couple of years. Missouri will be a disaster after this season and yet we weren't even close against them. Kentucky is the defending national champion and Florida was I think Elite 8.
I hope I am wrong but the stamp on this team will be complete after this season IMO.
It is a Pin game and we don't have a pin right now that can pass at the level needed for them to be a true 6 rotation player for an elite program
Ag4eva95
I agree about the play being at the pins. I don't think you give Morgan enough credit for handling most of the load. I think she is the most athletic pin we've had in a while(in terms of taking over a match). The big miss in the transfer market has been Ennis. Huge question mark on my we took her.

If rush can get her head together and ot make suck simple errors, she could be a wild card.

In terms of athleticism, I think our ceiling is much high. As I stated. Our ball control will be what holds us back. As good as Camielle is, she struggles with consistent set location.

2022 class was stacked with elite Texas setters and we haven't landed one
Wicked Good Ag
cbmik95 said:

I agree about the play being at the pins. I don't think you give Morgan enough credit for handling most of the load. I think she is the most athletic pin we've had in a while(in terms of taking over a match). The big miss in the transfer market has been Ennis. Huge question mark on my we took her.

If rush can get her head together and ot make suck simple errors, she could be a wild card.

In terms of athleticism, I think our ceiling is much high. As I stated. Our ball control will be what holds us back. As good as Camielle is, she struggles with consistent set location.

2022 class was stacked with elite Texas setters and we haven't landed one
we have two setters coming in so i dont see us taking a 2022 setter

I would rather have them no in same class but that can possibly be fixed with a redshirt possibly

As for Morgan she showed flashes but still our pins hit under .200 for the season and she only hit .178. That will get you 7th in conference at best we went 9-9 this year

We are trotting out the same lineup this year possibly without Conner setting and having an incoming freshman running the show....do we really think that we will impove that much ...i just dont see it for this coming year and since i dont I would rather use next year as a reorganization year and hope to impove day to day, week to week, match to match.

we could make great strides in 2022 if middles stay for the extra year and or a middle comes in
to be the one to takeover the position

Ag4eva95
But Tan is not elite. At most, she is a very average role player. Right now, either the Turkish player balls out or we are screwed if Connor does not come back.

Morgan hit .178 because she was taking 50 swings a game. I truly think the UNC transfer will take a little of the pressure off of her. Hoping Lauren or Rush take strides forward. You take 50 swings a game and try to hit .400 while their entire defense is lined up with you.

Our middles will produce. But our back row is very average. That was evident late in season when we gifted the other teams happy birthdays on freeballs. I dont think next season will be as bad as you think. the potential is there. We had a weirdseason with Covid(not an excuse, it was something no one had ever experienced or game planned for)r. some coaches handled it well, others did not. We had many matches canceled as well as practices. We played 18 matches. Less than every other team except Auburn. When you are trying to replace an All American and a national teamer, you need court time. With a preseason and warm up matches, the ability to coach and unlock potential is there.

2022 looks to be exciting. We have not had a freshmen libero of this caliber ever. If she is able to produce and the 2022 OH lives up to her ranking, it could be a fun year. Plus the RS seems to be very underrated. I believe she could end up a national top 25/50 recruit as well.
Wicked Good Ag
Who expects an outside hitter to hit .400....maybe a match or two but i will take .250 with that many swings

Is Morgan a good hitter? Yes when she is fluid and times it correctly...she can have a high attack point but she isnt great OOS at all and better then Davis but neither get a solid approach to a ball...maybe an extra step back would help for both of them on their approach.

But you exact point about 2022 is mine as well I dont think we will be good next year...too many new variables and we lost both middles to transfer as replacements for LAR and Talbot so if they dont play that extra year who do we have coming in the middle? we lost Morgan Davis, Jeter, Larson so besides Browser who isnt at their level who is left in the middle for this team in 2022 unless we get them to stay or get some transfers.

As for 9-9 we were going to get spanked by Kentucky twice until those matches got cancelled.

If we had a 6 rotation OH we could use this season to possibly run a 6-2 system to get those setters some work if Conner doesnt come back but we dont have an elite passing outside so we have to run a DS for at least one of them

the roster will not be balanced very well IMO especially in the middle unless in 2022
1. we hit the transfer portal or
2. LAR and or Talbert stay for an extra season or
3. find a ready to play middle in 2022 class which is highly unlikely since most are already taken

A team needs either a strong 6 rotation outside that can anchor passing or maybe a 6 rotation RS who can defend and maybe pass as well...last pretty good passing team we had was Ammerman, Banse, and Battis hell they may have JH kids of their own by now
91poohah
AG
2020, 2021 & 2022 classes nationwide are very strong. A&M has gotten their fair share of commits, but that doesn't always transfer into wins. Jenna Wenaas flipping to Minnesota and the Woodward twins flipping to Howard are three top 150 players in the nation that never made it on campus. Jeter transferring and the other player transfers add up, but many schools are experiencing life in the transfer portal era.

Bird is well liked and well respected, but you have to be able to terminate and put balls down. For all the success of Hans doing just that, we also needed an an unbelievable libero digging balls to keep us in points. If you don't have strong middles and good blocking, and great liberos and defense scraping the floor, the great hitters on the other side will put it down. And for all the great hitters in 2020 and 2021, A&M didn't "out recruit" any of the bigger programs, and may have lost ground to some SEC schools that had successful signings. We need elite players, not just great players, and those are not easy to come by...

This has been a weird recruiting cycle due to Covid, and most expect lots of transfers and misses on the 2020's & 2021's. LSU lost (and gained) some strong hitters this year, as did OU and many other programs. The schools are all moving players around trying to find that right mix, and the players are all moving around trying to find that right program. The 2022 class is loaded nationally and we got a great one committed on the right side that we should be able to hold onto (Aggie legacy, great family, amazing athlete, terrific student). But many of the elite of 2022 were committed 2-3 years ago, so again, we didn't gain ground compared to some other SEC schools. A lot of programs offered very early a few years ago based on potential. You can't teach height, but many players don't develop or continue to grow. I'm always surprised at some of the commits I hear to certain schools, and you know they won't ever find the court at that program.

Watching Skylar Fields (tu) in high school/club, or the Skinner sisters (Kentucky) is a different level of athlete and player than the typical "great" player most casual fans think they have spotted when they hear about a recruit or see a high school match. My daughter has played at the highest level of club the last few years, and though she holds her own against the top players in the nation, she knows the difference between being great (her) and being elite (not her). Though she is a 2021 D1 signee to a California program, she was never considered by A&M, nor should she have been. A&M is trying for the elite players, but when we miss it is a problem. The fine line between great and elite is a difficult line to recruit because if you miss on the "elites", you better have the best of the "greats" lined up. We have had our fair share of "greats" but need to hold onto some "elites".
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Somebody define "pins". Asking for a friend.
coloradoag69
AG
Yes, please define "pins" - for myself
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.