Volleyball Transfers

7,671 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by taylorswift13
flintdragon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The "pins" are the antennas. But it also refers to the pin-hitters aka OH/RS aka outside/right side hitters. They typically hit near their respective pins.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Thanks, flint.
Jack Pearson
AG
When you guys talk about rankings or top 150 players in terms of recruits what publication are you using?

Prepvolleyball, Prep dig or ?

I have a class of 24 daughter who is starting to show up in some rankings so just curious.
taylorswift13
AG
Awesome congrats to you and your daughter!
91poohah
AG
Congrats on the success, and best wishes going forward. It can be a fun process, and also a frustrating one. At times, your daughter could be head and shoulders above the rest, but not get the "ranking" or attention she deserves. Likewise, other players may be getting all the attention and accolades just because their coach or club promotes them really well. And that is part of the problem with VB rankings... A lot of PrepVolleyball info and the other publications/websites relies on input from the clubs, coaches and directors. There are lots of great players at smaller clubs that never get "seen", while other very good players at huge clubs are getting awards left and right. But the best players at the best clubs will get recruited, no doubt.

My daughter didn't really benefit from being highly decorated in school VB, but probably from being on a top team at a top club (Houston Skyline). School VB gets limited to no recruiting edge, so your club success can dictate how often you get watched or seen. Getting named to "watch lists" or as an All-American by PrepVolletball is as much of a ranking as anything. The websites, awards and accolades and "top player lists" are good, and you should be very proud. And don't be discouraged if she falls off one season, and don't get too excited if she tops a list the next. The coaches are good at identifying the elite players, as is everyone else, The difficulty is digging though the very good and great players, and those are hard to rank.

So but don't read too much into any of the publications like the ones you mentioned. It's not like football or basketball with multiple outlets ranking and following all the top players. So many of the elite VB players have traditionally committed early and never attend the skills camps or "recruiting" circuit events. And this last year and a half halted traditional recruiting and in-person recruiting at the qualifiers and big tournaments by coaches. As a 2024, already getting noticed is part of the battle, and your club success will enhance her rankings most likely...
Jack Pearson
AG
91poohah said:

Congrats on the success, and best wishes going forward. It can be a fun process, and also a frustrating one. At times, your daughter could be head and shoulders above the rest, but not get the "ranking" or attention she deserves. Likewise, other players may be getting all the attention and accolades just because their coach or club promotes them really well. And that is part of the problem with VB rankings... A lot of PrepVolleyball info and the other publications/websites relies on input from the clubs, coaches and directors. There are lots of great players at smaller clubs that never get "seen", while other very good players at huge clubs are getting awards left and right. But the best players at the best clubs will get recruited, no doubt.

My daughter didn't really benefit from being highly decorated in school VB, but probably from being on a top team at a top club (Houston Skyline). School VB gets limited to no recruiting edge, so your club success can dictate how often you get watched or seen. Getting named to "watch lists" or as an All-American by PrepVolletball is as much of a ranking as anything. The websites, awards and accolades and "top player lists" are good, and you should be very proud. And don't be discouraged if she falls off one season, and don't get too excited if she tops a list the next. The coaches are good at identifying the elite players, as is everyone else, The difficulty is digging though the very good and great players, and those are hard to rank.

So but don't read too much into any of the publications like the ones you mentioned. It's not like football or basketball with multiple outlets ranking and following all the top players. So many of the elite VB players have traditionally committed early and never attend the skills camps or "recruiting" circuit events. And this last year and a half halted traditional recruiting and in-person recruiting at the qualifiers and big tournaments by coaches. As a 2024, already getting noticed is part of the battle, and your club success will enhance her rankings most likely...

Thank you. I agree it seems like most of the rankings have to do with what club you play for and if that club subscribes and pushes their players. We do not play for a name brand club but we are ranked #2 in the Lone Star Rankings having beaten Houston Skyline Royal and Alamo Premier. Current record is 57-5. We received a national bid to nationals in Vegas coming up at the end of the month. Won Cross Court classic, won two tour of texas weekends and finished 5th, 2nd and 2nd in 3 national qualifiers. We have a very good team but the rest of the club is not on our level so I think we get punished a bit for not being a well known club. Almost all of our players are from two high schools which makes it even more impressive to me. Skyline expressed interest in her but honestly the drive is too far for practices and being a baseball guy I feel like if you can play they will find you regardless. We will see.

My daughter is the only one off our team that has gotten any watch lists or rankings although I think that is unfair as there are atleast a few others that should be as well. My daughter has gotten some looks on her recruiting profile from A&M, LSU, Rice, and UH so that is encouraging.

This will be the first year that we will attend college camps to get her seen in person so looking forward to that although my daughter is coming off 5 weeks in a boot right now from a stress fracture. She has her first practice today with a carbon fiber insert so we will see how that goes as she eases back into things.
Wicked Good Ag
Prep volleyball used to be the one to go to for high school and club. It hasn't been the same since John Tawa left

The rankings will likely be moved to volleyball mag in the near future for solid info.

That said usually the top 30 players make an impact at the next level

Last few that have been in that top 30 for TAMU have been Kaitlyn Blake, Stephanie Aiple, Hollan Hans, and currently Rush

It can be a crap shoot sometimes but Conner was in the top 100 I think in the 80s or 90s range
Jack Pearson
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

Prep volleyball used to be the one to go to for high school and club. It hasn't been the same since John Tawa left

The rankings will likely be moved to volleyball mag in the near future for solid info.

Last few that have been in that top 30 for TAMU have been Kaitlyn Blake, Stephanie Aiple, Hollan Hans, and currently Rush

It can be a crap shoot sometimes but Conner was in the top 100 I think in the 80s or 90s range
So prep dig isnt a well thought of source I take it?

Seems like its pretty new but they have been putting out some good info I thought on tournaments and teams going to nationals.

Wicked Good Ag
Jack Pearson said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

So prep dig isnt a well thought of source I take it?

Seems like its pretty new but they have been putting out some good info I thought on tournaments and teams going to nationals.

John Tawa was the leading figure is HS /JRS volleyball until he sold the website and worked for them during transition. He is now at Volleyball Mag and rebuilding the brand at a new website.
Prep Dig doesn't have near the connections but may be a a solid source in the future
taylorswift13
AG
Picked up a a grad transfer Libero from Denver! She averaged 4.22 digs per set!

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.