VB is now 4-0

6,056 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
TXAG4EVR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Success at Ole Miss. Whoop!
Chapa96
AG
Im liking the distribution of sets. Looks like several options.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
1/2 Man 1/2 Amazing
AG
Nice! I watched first set that they lost and was curious to how the rest of the game went.
scs2001
AG
Anybody going today or tomorrow? I see tickets can't be bought in advance, so I'm planning to get there at 6:00 when the window opens.
monarch
S
Not doing well now vs St. Final 25-17; down 2-1
Peace for Ukraine!
monarch
S
Women lose 3-1 vs St
Peace for Ukraine!
Stone44
AG
Lost to miss state in volleyball tonight. Looked awful. First loss ever to the worst team in SEC.
wangus12
AG
That was pretty bad. My wife's high school team could've given them a game tonight
Sports-Ag
AG
Looks like not playing the last 2 weeks showed.
safety guy
AG
Our team did not look good. Setting was shaky and our kills were not good. State looked like a far superior team. We were up a set and 21-18 then the wheels came completely off.
Gap
AG
That is shocking. Mississippi St. is an absolute doormat and we are ranked #7.

Mississippi St. was 0-4 in 2020. 2-16 in the SEC in 2019. 1-17 in 2018. 1-17 in 2017.

Unfathomable.
Wicked Good Ag
Worst game I have ever witnessed at TAMU in SEC play and maybe ever. Miss State wasnt good and dominated the game.

I usually am able to be critical while seeing the big picture but nothing about that performance has anything positive to say other than maybe Morgan Davis in the middle lived up to her normal play and actually exceed it probably

and I am not kidding in the fact that one match may keep us out of the NCAA tourney this year. Limited at larges and we did ourselves no favors losing to the worst team in the conference for the past ten years (they are 4-54 in conference over the last five years)

You cannot use the excuse of they took yesterday off for election day because both teams did

Passing was horrid and attacking was a collection of miss hits and the defense looked more than a step slow to every ball

NO sense of urgency. I know most college coaches do not yell at the players and are trying to be a calming influence but this might have been the one time to get on them like a frustrated HS coach

russaggie
AG
That was definitely a sad showing. Even the set we won we didn't look good. Passing out of the back row has been bad, but was really bad last night and it cost us. I think the bad passing led to poor setting which resulted in a lot of slow play and poor offensive execution. Everything was just too slow to develop. Passing needs to improve in a big way.

The team as a whole just did not look ready to play. They were lacking their usual energy. Morgan Christon looked like she was half asleep when she entered the game. Almost looked like she wasn't expecting to play. Rush and Lauren Davis were off last night. The freshman Jeter came in and had a couple of decent touches, but they went back to Rush and she continued to struggle.

Bird tried a lineup change to start the third set and it backfired with an 8-0 run for State to start. Assuming the change at Libero for the fourth set was hoping to provide a spark, but Alison Fields hadn't even played up to the point she was thrown out as Libero. We are definitely missing the speed of Gomez from last year. We just don't have quick enough DS players in the back row.
Wicked Good Ag
Because of who we were playing I was hoping to see some of the second setter play and get reps with first team players

what I saw was disorganization and slow reactions in the back row I have seen these girls play and know they are capable but EVERYONE in the back row looked a step slow maybe two last night. They didnt read anything in a timely manner. Other than one player offensively for Miss State they looked just as bad as us on the floor except for picked up more balls on the defensive side

Who is the second Outside hitter on this team ? we dont have one that has put the ball away consistantly. Talbert in the middle had an off night with only Morgan Davis doing well

You see the potential in each player Bird puts on the court and all of them can get the job done....last night no one besides Davis did which made for a match that was a disaster

Hopefully they will improve and be more focused tonight but that loss coupled with a schedule against better conference opponents in the Spring doesnt bode well for the team this season. Arkansas looks improved and if we play like that we could have 3 losses going into Spring and all but eliminated from at large selection before Spring ball even starts.

BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
At least the Yell Leaders were enthusiastic !
Pioneer
Embarrassing loss. May find out what this team is made of by how they show up, or don't tonight.
taylorswift13
AG
Starting off with way more hustle and urgency tonight! Those are the girls we know!
Gap
AG
Mississippi St. wins Set 2.
Gap
AG
Headed to a 5th set at Reed Arena against Mississippi St. now.

I though we would come out and sweep 3-0 tonight.
Gap
AG
Mississippi St. beats A&M again tonight. 15-13 in the 5th set.

Just unfathomable to lose 2 matches at home to the historic SEC doormat.
Sports-Ag
AG
Yikes
Wicked Good Ag
Got torched again by the RS from last night for 24 kills. The problem is they set the RS attackers probably over 60 times and we had only a few blocks defending that attack all while hitting less than I bet .100 from the outside hitter position.

We passed better and dominated set one and then once again just stopped playing with urgency. I dont know the issue other than we are not playing at a level we need to from the pins and back row defense isnt a solid as it should be in filing seams. We hit something like .380 in the first set and then finished the match hitting .191 so the three sets we lost we could not hit but maybe ..100 not gonna cut it

Facing facts if we lose either match at Arkansas this coming week we are eliminated from post season before the spring second season begins

Because other than Auburn we would have played the worst teams from last year in the fall and if we split against Arkansas then that is 5-3 record.

Pioneer
Outsides did hit less than .100 as you guessed. The tournament field is cut in half this spring, I believe. The Ags will have to upset Florida and Kentucky to likely get in now. Looks like last years success was mostly due to Hans. Bird better figure this out quick.
Arkansas has undersized outsides, but plays with a lot of fire. Could be a tough match up.
Wicked Good Ag
Replacing Hans was going to be difficult. No question. If Rush in RS improves when I think she has and gotten a ton more attempts compared to last year and Davis on the outside looks a bit better productively then last year as well. But I think we miss Patterson in the middle for defensive blocking purposes. Morgan Davis has done a great job replacing her but how we got exploited these past two matches was from the RS and it seems to me that the defense against RS attacking both front row and back row is way below par. We bring in at least four BACK ROW players in Voss Fields Sustala and Libero Basham and this weekend we couldn't pass to high school level Wednesday. Thursday was better but not at the level of a team that will be in top half of a conference much less NCAA hopes. With very few at larges available I think barring a miracle over the break that the spring season will be difficult. The two outsides don't have as good of fluidity attacking the ball seemingly not going slow to fast without some hiccup in their approach. When on it looks good. Tempo and set location to outsides was better last night simply because of better passing although not elite passing.
I have seen all of these girls play except for the newcomers and know they can play at the level necessary but we have razor thin margins of error compared to last season and without Gomez speed and reading ability along with passing ability in the back row we are going to have to get better by 10-20% across the board offensively to make up for the defensive and passing. Teams will realize they only have to focus defensively on the middle and right side of our court unless better production can be made from outside where we hit .086 last night which is well below what is needed but much higher than .053 the night before.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
At least the Yell Leaders were enthusiastic !
kwammer
After watching the match against Arkansas last night, it is obvious this is a very average vball team. Bottomline, it does not have anyone who is going to be a consistent offensive threat against better competition.
Carnwellag2
Maybe it is the teams focus? They do spend a lot of time on things outside of VB
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Yuk of a game.

The new tall girl looks like a great addition! ( Morgan Christon I believe )
Gap
AG
It is rare to see the absolute collapse we saw this Fall. From top 10 in the nation at the mid-point of the 8 game season to ending the season playing like the worst team in the entire SEC. Conner had a surprisingly poor Fall and Rush looks like an experiment who just didn't work out.
Chapa96
AG
Gap said:

It is rare to see the absolute collapse we saw this Fall. From top 10 in the nation at the mid-point of the 8 game season to ending the season playing like the worst team in the entire SEC. Conner had a surprisingly poor Fall and Rush looks like an experiment who just didn't work out.

Don't believe the ranking. That ranking didnt even include any Big 10 nor Pac 12. We may not have been ranked if they started playing vb the same time the SEC did.
mullokmotx
AG
I thought the player who made the biggest difference last year was Camila Gomez.
kwammer
Yep. That was a projection based on last years team.
This team would not make the NCAA tourney even if it was going to be a field of 64 this year.

Again, just a poor offensive team.
Wicked Good Ag
This team is already done for postseason and we haven't even gotten to the spring ball yet.

I would suggest getting some needed reps in and hope you can replace the recruits you lost that were coming in 2021. Can't be for certain as to why they didn't stay committed but can't help to bring on two transfers that are sophomores at their positions.
I hope the team can rebound in the spring but as for NCAAs they lost that chance likely with first lost against Miss State. And the last three after that sealed the deal.
Chapa96
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

This team is already done for postseason and we haven't even gotten to the spring ball yet.

I would suggest getting some needed reps in and hope you can replace the recruits you lost that were coming in 2021. Can't be for certain as to why they didn't stay committed but can't help to bring on two transfers that are sophomores at their positions.
I hope the team can rebound in the spring but as for NCAAs they lost that chance likely with first lost against Miss State. And the last three after that sealed the deal.

If you talking about the twins, they have signed with a historically black university. Maybe Howard. Not sure which one.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.