High school track strategy question

1,772 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Ag 11
aggiebrad94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My daughter (FR) qualified for the regional track meet in the 3200m. With her season best time of 11:58, she is currently seeded 7th. However, the 5th & 6th times are also 11:58 as the 3 finished almost in a dead heat area meet. The top 4 times are all coming from the Valley and are 11:40 and better. To get a top 2 spot, she'd have to run close to an 11:20.

Logically, she has little chance of advancing. So, here are my questions. 1) Does she run on the hip of the #2 girl for as long as she can and hope like heck she has something in the tank for the coveted top 2 spot. Or, 2) Does she run a race with the intent of finishing in the Top 6 so that she would be All-Region?

Part of me wants her to go lights out and run the fastest she's ever tried to run because the #3-#12 runners all stay home from state so why not try. But then the conservative part of me would say get that All-Region honor because that would look really cool for a freshman to have that Letterman's patch.

Thoughts?

***disclaimer - this is all for fun. We are enjoying the moment and celebrating every race since my girl has only been running competitively for 2 years and has far succeeded anyone's expectations this year.
bigfoot10s
AG
How is her kick and how comfortable is she with it? I think that determines her strategy...

What school is she at?
aggiebrad94
AG
She was in 5th in the last 200 at Area and caught the leader with about 50 to go. I think she has an average kick right now but it is getting better. She's never run cross country and will next Fall so we're expecting some big gains in stamina and strength.

She's at Medina Valley. She'll be running at Alamo Stadium this Friday morning.
bigfoot10s
AG
Gotcha, she will be running against my HS there as well, and we will be in the same district next year. I am at Harlan
carl spacklers hat
Unfortunately, it is really impossible to tell her how to run the race, other than to say "Go out and do your best!"

The biggest issue is in predicting how the race unfolds. Is there a rabbit or pacesetter who is going to drop, but sets a fast pace for the first 1600? Does the race start slow and build to a faster pace as it unfolds? If the top 2 spots are sub-11:20, your runner is looking at a 30 second deficit between her PR and the other top runners. It sounds like the risk is if she tries to hold a fast pace early, she might not have the legs to finish in a top-6 spot. On the other hand, she's a freshman, so there is an expectation that this is the first of 4 opportunities to make it to State. Have you asked or has she said what kind of race she wants to run? What type of race she feels more confident running?
Look Out Below
AG
3) Ask her what she wants to do after weighing the risk/reward factor of each option

Those are decent times for a freshman that has not run/trained cross country before. Sounds like she'll get quite a bit faster as time goes on.
aggiebrad94
AG
Quote:

Have you asked or has she said what kind of race she wants to run? What type of race she feels more confident running?

What does her feelings have to do with anything???? Just kidding!

Our only talk so far has been whether to coast this week at practice or go all out and say "What the Heck." I was proud of her that she said she didn't want to coast.

I wanted to run these theories by texags before talking with her again. Oftentimes, other posters help me frame a discussion better or think about a different aspect.

Look Out Below
AG
If she has been training hard for several weeks it will be better for her to 'coast' at practice some this week, especially the few days before the race. You want her legs to be fresh.
SMG
JimInBCS
Look Out Below said:

If she has been training hard for several weeks it will be better for her to 'coast' at practice some this week, especially the few days before the race. You want her legs to be fresh.

This.

As for the race, it's a no brainer. You stick within striking distance of 2nd place as long as possible. You don't run to place 6th...

Her body is capable of running much faster than her current PR....it's just that sometimes our minds get in the way.

Every so often runners have breakthrough races when they forget about pace and just run. Yeah, you do run the risk of blowing up. Being she's a frosh with little to no expectations to qualify this year, it sure sounds like a risk she should consider taking.
Ag 11
AG
So... what happened?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.