* Verizon IndyCar Series - 2018 *

7,955 Views | 140 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by numetalbizkitaggie
RABAg04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gasly got hit in the face by a piece of debris today. Neither one is perfect, but they're something.
'03ag
I just think the most dangerous thing in indy car seems to be getting up into the fence on the ovals, and I dont see the wind screen helping with that at all. I think the halo would. But as we've seen the halo just isn't an option on ovals so they're hosed on that one. It will help some so it's better than nothing.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
I think your comments kind of lend to a point I've made elsewhere. IndyCar's windscreen development is not attempting to solve the same problems the halo attempted to solve. The windscreen is a response to Wilson's death in 2015 when he got struck in the helmet by debris. F1 developed the halo in response to Bianchi's accident with the wall where it protruded the cockpit. You are not wrong that it will do little about head injuries against the wall like Wheldon's or Moore's. (Without serious changes to the catchfence mechanism, I'm not convinced there is any one car part that can do it.) The series made a number of changes to the 'roll hoop' and cockpit with the newly updated car to strengthen it, and also prepare it for the eventual fitting of the windscreen. The IndyCar development was a 3 year process altering various parts of the car, where F1 had a 6-month window of honest development.

I think this conflation is bad for both sports. Both are head protection devices, but developed to do different things. Massa wouldn't likely have been saved from concussion/being knocked out by the halo, but he sure was quick to jump on twitter and talk up Leclerc's crash as 'proof' that IndyCar isn't doing anything for driver safety. I'd like to point out that F1 never really gave serious consideration to a windscreen after the crude test by Ferrari and Vettel, either.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
Ferrucci set for full-time Coyne seat in 2019
Quote:

Santino Ferrucci is expected to be announced as Sebastien Bourdais' full-time teammate at Dale Coyne Racing, giving the Illinois-based team a head start on its preparations for 2019. In four outings spanning Detroit, Portland, and Sonoma, the Connecticut native earned a best finish of 11th at IndyCar's season finale for the Honda-powered team.

20 full-time drivers are locked in for the next championship run from March through September.

Of the carryover entries that competed in 2018, only the second seat in the No. 23 Chevy at Carlin Racing, the road and street course opportunity in Ed Carpenter's No. 20 Chevy, Juncos Racing's No. 32 Chevy, and the No. 6 Honda at Schmidt Peterson Motorsports are left for drivers to pursue.

Factoring in the potential expansion for veteran outfits or new-team growth, a third Rahal Letterman Lanigan Honda, a third Carlin Chevy, the potential interest of McLaren, Elton Julian's DragonSpeed team and Scuderia Corsa could boost IndyCar's entry list beyond 25 cars at some rounds.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
Ericsson targeting Carlin IndyCar ride
Quote:

Marcus Ericsson is in talks with Carlin for an IndyCar ride following the loss of his Sauber seat in Formula 1.

"The most attractive for me is IndyCar at the moment, so I'm looking at it," Ericsson said.

"We're talking to some teams there. I think it's a realistic target. We also are talking to teams in other categories as well.

"For me I want to race at the highest level possible because I see myself coming back to Formula 1 in the future as well, and to be able to come back to Formula 1, I want to stay in single-seaters and I want to stay in fast cars. Looking at how it is at the moment in motorsport, for me IndyCar is the one that is the best series to do that in."

While he has connections with Stefan Johansson, RACER understands one of the teams Ericsson is in talks with is Carlin, with only Max Chilton in the No.59 Chevy confirmed for 2019. Charlie Kimball has yet to finalize his budget for next year.
I may be in the minority, but I'm totally okay with Charlie Pin-ball being replaced, even if it is just another mediocre ride buyer.

Juncos aims for growth, more races in 2019
Quote:

"We want to keep growing, so doing more races being full-time is our focus," he told RACER. "It's our ideal situation. I want to do, at least, one car with maybe two drivers like Ed Carpenter does; an oval driver and a road course driver."

"That's why I'm building a second car to have it ready in case somebody else shows up," Juncos continued. "I'm thinking, for sure, we'll have two cars for the Indy 500. I want to have two cars, and what we did this year was very good. We already have some interested drivers for next year's Indy 500. There's five months to the first race, so there's time to talk and see."
My translation: we'll see one Juncos car most of the season and then two at Indy.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
Quote:

Oriol Servia gave Scuderia Corsa a rousing introduction to IndyCar racing last May when he led 16 laps and came within one yellow flag of stealing the 102nd Indianapolis 500. The 44-year-old veteran from Spain was hoping to turn that one-off ride(pictured) into a full-time deal for 2019 but RACER.com has learned Scuderia Corsa is expected to announce its partnership with Ed Carpenter Racing on Wednesday and that Ed Jones will be the driver.

Jones is expected to team with Spencer Pigot and drive the No. 20 car on all the street and road courses but is also expected to be in a third Fuzzy's Chevy at Indianapolis.
Expected Scuderia Corsa/ECR partnership has Servia looking elsewhere
cap-n-jack
https://edition.cnn.com/2018/10/26/motorsport/robert-wickens-paraplegic-indycar-crash-spt-intl/index.html

Just sad man.
Kashchei
AG
So I'm guessing he isn't permanently paralyzed? Hope he can walk again but there is no way I would ever get back in a race car. Marry your gf, have kids, and live happily ever after.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
Won't know for sure until the swelling subsides, but it's bruised and not fractured. As swelling reduces, we'll see. The IndyCar team and recovery group he is working with are impressive. Timetable I've heard is 2 years, if it happens.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
Swedish media and some buddies around the series seem to think Marcus Ericsson is going to be Wickens replacement at SPM.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
Aaaand it's official:
Quote:

Schmidt Peterson Motorsports announced Tuesday that Marcus Ericsson, who has raced in Formula One since 2014, will pilot the team's No. 7 Honda for the 2019 IndyCar Series season.

Currently driving for the Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 team, the 28-year-old Ericsson will make the move to INDYCAR at the conclusion of the 2018 F1 season. A native of Kumla, Sweden, Ericsson has made 95 F1 starts with two races remaining on the schedule. His best F1 finish has been eighth place in the 2015 Australian Grand Prix. He finished ninth Sunday in the Mexican Grand Prix.

"It's a great honor to be picked as one of the drivers at Schmidt Peterson Motorsports and INDYCAR for the 2019 season," Ericsson said. "It feels like a perfect step for me and my career after five years in F1. I can't wait to start work with SPM and all the people in the team, which I've heard a lot of good things about. They've had some great success over the years, and I'm looking forward to work hard to continue and improve on that path."

F1 VETERAN ERICSSON JOINING SCHMIDT PETERSON FOR 2019 INDYCAR SEASON
Also sounds like RC Enerson is back in the mix for the Carlin ride:
Quote:

Three teams took to Circuit of The Americas for testing on Monday as A.J. Foyt Racing's Tony Kanaan, Andretti Autosport's Alexander Rossi, and RC Enerson, who suited up for Carlin, turned laps at the 3.4-mile road course.

Rossi's unofficial lap of 1m47.8s is said to be fastest of the two who spent the day working with Firestone to develop a primary tire for the March race. Enerson, who contested two races with Dale Coyne Racing in 2016, took part in an unaffiliated rookie test.

Early praise for COTA after IndyCar tire test
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
'03ag
Are they coming to COTA next year? Awesome. I should try to make that.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
Yep, March 24th.

Kashchei
AG
numetalbizkitaggie said:

Yep, March 24th.

HOLY CHEET! That's awesome!

Edit: But I'll be out of state. Grumble grumble. May have to change my flight...
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
Fernando confirmed for the 500.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG

numetalbizkitaggie
AG
McLaren partners with Chevy for Alonso Indy 500 program
Quote:

Fernando Alonso's second Indianapolis 500 campaign will be powered by Chevrolet.

"It will be a privilege to wear the Bowtie Brand at the 2019 Indy 500," Alonso said. "Having Chevrolet power behind me means we're putting ourselves in the best possible position to compete at the front. I had a bit of a taste of Chevy power last week in Jimmie Johnson's NASCAR and I liked it! The opportunity to contest any Indy 500 is an honor, so I'm proud to have Chevrolet as part of the team."

Alonso's entry will be run by McLaren, and the Chevrolet deal rekindles a relationship that dates back half a century to when Chevy V8s powered the Can-Am cars that helped put the team on the map. That McLaren/Chevrolet pairing delivered a 70 percent win rate across a seven-year stretch starting in 1966, including 23 consecutive victories between 1968 and 1970.
ALONSO STILL CONSIDERING FULL INDYCAR SEASON, JUST NOT IN 2019
Quote:

"I needed a break and I need to find motivation again and relax a little bit for a year," Alonso said on Saturday after qualifying for F1's season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

"For 2020, I don't know exactly what I will do or what will be the plan. I am open to different things maybe a full season in INDYCAR, maybe a full season in F1 again. These are all things that are in view."
Kashchei
AG
So a crappy British carmaker is partnering with a crappy American carmaker? :p
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
Sounds about right haha.

In other news, Foyt is considering a two-car IndyLights program. They were most successful as a team when they had one.

Sage Karam and JR Hildebrand should announce their 500 plans soon.

Don't be surprised if McLaren partners with a team like Carpenter's.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
Chip Ganassi: Kurt Busch Indy 500 return is 'on the table'

Quote:

During a national teleconference, Ganassi was asked if Busch was under consideration to drive for the team in the Rolex 24 at Daytona IMSA sports car race or the 103rd Indianapolis 500.

Ganassi gave a very encouraging answer.

"I think and in my conversations with Kurt, all that stuff is available," Ganassi said. "All our cars are available to all of our drivers. I think it's just a matter of if the opportunity presents itself, and there is obviously a lot more than just me saying, 'Hey, let's do it' and him saying, 'Yeah, let's do it.'

"I am game. For the two of us to decide is somewhat on a bit of an island when it comes to those types of things. The important point is those things are available for conversations and that is one of the things I think we and again it's not often you have a guy that has the experience to do that like an Indy in an Indy car. It's certainly on the table if need be."
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
IndyCar boss Mark Miles: Series closing in on title sponsor
Quote:

INDIANAPOLIS It doesn't sound like IndyCar will be without a title sponsor much longer. In a conversation Tuesday with IndyStar, IndyCar CEO Mark Miles said he's hopeful the series will make an announcement regarding title sponsorship in the coming months.

"I'm optimistic that we'll have everything finalized by the time we get cars back on track in February," said Miles, referring to the series' upcoming preseason test at Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas.

Miles, who recently returned from Japan and will be in Stamford, Conn., for NBC Sports' motorsports symposium this week, explained that the series is amid negotiations with a pair of potential partners and that he's optimistic IndyCar will secure one soon.
Kashchei
AG
I liked Verizon as a sponsor - gave the series some more "weight" IMO. Hopefully they'll pick up another good one.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG

Helio will again be in the 'yellow submarine' at Indy.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
DRAGONSPEED TO MAKE INDYCAR DEBUT IN 2019, CONTEST IN 5 RACES WITH CHEVY POWER
Quote:

With Harding Steinbrenner Racing moving to Honda power for the 2019 IndyCar Series season, some Chevrolet engines are available. That's good news for DragonSpeed Racing. The WEC team will make their series debut at COTA in the open test in February then officially make their debut in the season opener at St. Pete in part of a five race tryout.

The team confirmed the move via a release on Monday morning.

The part time deal will see them compete at St. Pete, Barber, Road America, and Mid-Ohio to go along with the 103rd Running of the Indianapolis 500. The team will use Chevy engines with a driver expected to be Ben Hanley.

"IndyCar is enjoying a major upswing thanks to the quality of the racing produced by the current regulations. The fans see it, the teams see it, the manufacturers and sponsors see it, and I think NBC saw it when they decided to take on the television coverage," said the team owner via a statement.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
Dreyer & Reinbold Racing on track with 2019 Indianapolis 500 plans
Quote:

When asked about his Indianapolis 500 plans for 2019, Karam was confident he would return with Dreyer & Reinbold as the team aims for a similar program employed in 2018.

"Things are looking really good for May," said Karam. "I would expect that we'll probably be back and get that deal done again. Obviously, I can't stay too much but I know that it is moving in the right direction, I can say that. I think their goal is to have two cars again at the '500', which would be great."

Spending the month of May with Hildebrand, the 2011 Indianapolis 500 runner-up, Karam enjoyed the perks of having an Indy teammate for just the second time in his career.

"I loved having a teammate last year," Karam exclaimed. "(It was) my fifth '500' and just my second one with a teammate. Having a teammate really smoothed out all the early month pains and qualifying pains a little bit more. And especially with last year having a new car and everything it would have been a much greater challenge for us with one car as opposed to two.

"It was good that we had J.R. in there. I enjoyed working with J.R. so it would be cool to have him back, but I don't know what his end is, so we will see."

Kashchei
AG
I'm ready for next season already!!!
Kashchei
AG
I just watched The 24 Hour War (about Ford v Ferrari at Le Mans). It's a few years old but I highly recommend it if you haven't already seen it.
Big Cat `93
AG
Here's a little diversion while we wait for the new season.

cap-n-jack
I was at that race. Danny Ongais won it and AJ broke down as I recall.
I've raced formula fords and sport bikes at that track. The road course, both the long and short course.
I cannot image driving at the speeds that they did on that track, a short wall and no catch fencing.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
Thanks for the ol' TWS race. I concur with you, cap-n-jack.

News:
NTT Data is the new rumored title sponsor. Obviously, they don't have the US visibility of Verizon, but they are a worldwide IT firm from Japan seeking to gain more of the US marketshare. Could be a good fit for both. Should be announced today or tomorrow. Won't affect deal with Ganassi.

Ganassi sponsor DC Solar was raided by the FBI a couple weeks back. Unknown how it will impact the team moving forward.
Big Cat `93
AG
numetalbizkitaggie said:

Ganassi sponsor DC Solar was raided by the FBI a couple weeks back. Unknown how it will impact the team moving forward.
It put an end to Chip's Xfinity Series team.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
https://instagr.am/p/BsbJ-MCA2Rf

As soon as they announce the title sponsor, I'll create the new year's thread.
Big Cat `93
AG
Lots of coverage on the main network. Props to them.

Can't wait to watch Indy minus the Goodyear/Cheever snoozefest.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG

They have been a fantastic promoter for Gateway. They have done a fantastic job packing that place and improving where needed.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.