* Verizon IndyCar Series - 2018 *

7,948 Views | 140 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by numetalbizkitaggie
numetalbizkitaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
*WARNING: GRAPHIC*

Man, that still doesn't get easier to watch. Hoping for a speedy recovery for Robert. 17:20 is insane to look at...Wow.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Knowing how it turned out gives me some relief, but that sure as hell gives me a flashback to watching Dan Wheldon's crash live on TV....
Big Cat `93
AG
And Greg Moore's.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
It reminds me the most of Kenny Brack's career-ending crash at TMS. *Again, WARNING: GRAPHIC*

Both were lucky that the underside of the car hit the fence, and is probably why both are still with us today.
Big Cat `93
AG
I still can't believe Jeff Krosnoff's wreck in Toronto. He wasn't going all that fast (compared with the oval crashes), but you could tell when what was left of his car came to a stop that he was at best unconscious. You could see his legs poking out, so his tub was demolished.
StaffRat
AG
I wonder if they will start using the halos now. That could've been catastrophic for Hunter-Reay.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
StaffRat said:

I wonder if they will start using the halos now. That could've been catastrophic for Hunter-Reay.
No, IndyCar will never use a Halo solution. They will do a windscreen instead, and it's slated to be standard on the car starting in 2019.

numetalbizkitaggie
AG
Ah, here's a good explanation (but crude video) why IndyCar could never use Halo, in case you were wondering (at least on ovals):

With the g-loading of the car and the roll through the banked corners, it limits visibility ahead.
Kashchei
AG
Good. The halo looks hideous.
cap-n-jack
The windscreen clearly offers better visibility. puns aside. I rather doubt it has the structural integrity to keep a car from crashing in on top of a driver and it certainly wouldn't have survived a Wheldonesque blow to the cockpit.
Kashchei
AG
Most exciting race of the season
RABAg04
AG
Does anyone have an Indy car podcast they listen to?
Big Cat `93
AG
Really good race on a nice track. It made me think of how good races at Milwaukee were.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
RABAg04 said:

Does anyone have an Indy car podcast they listen to?

Trackside with Curt Cavin and Kevin Lee

https://www.1070thefan.com/personalities/trackside
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
David Land puts out little videos on his YouTube channel, even though he's just a fan like us, I think he's pretty entertaining also:
Big Cat `93
AG
What in the heck just happened?

Dixie is living right.
Kashchei
AG
Happy for Sato, but Dixon's luck is ridiculous. Should've wiped out on the first lap.
cap-n-jack
Nice drive by Sato. I still can't believe Rossi got shuffled back like he did. Looked like his race early.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
Full Gateway race was never uploaded to YouTube, but I put the 30-min version and Portland.

Who ya got this weekend? Dixon or Rossi? I'm going with Dixon because this is probably his best track on the schedule, but this could be a race where Rossi just runs away and hides. If Rossi wins, Dixon has to finish 2nd to win the title, even if Dixon gets the bonus point for the pole. If Dixon leads the most laps that he has to finish 4th or worse with a Rossi win (for Rossi to take the title).
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
Dixon was the fastest in today's 'test' at Sonoma.
Kashchei
AG
I hope it's Rossi, but I just think he has too much to overcome today. Dixon lucking out in that wreck in Portland sealed it.
Kashchei
AG
Well that sucked. **** you Andretti.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
Kashchei said:

That's a huge blow for Rossi. Hardly any yellows here ever. While nothing is certain, hard to see him recovering from that.
RABAg04
AG
Kashchei said:

Yup
RABAg04
AG
Rossi catches a huge break. Game on!
Kashchei
AG
C'mon Dixon, slip up!
Big Cat `93
AG
Rossi definitely made things interesting.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
Early 2019 'Silly Season' Drivers & Teams

Key: Confirmed - Strongly Rumored

Chip Ganassi Racing
#9 - Scott Dixon (#1 is reserved for series champion, but CGR rarely uses it).
#10 - Felix Rosenqvist

Team Penske
#2 - Josef Newgarden
#3 - Helio Castroneves (Indy GP and Indy 500 only)
#12 - Will Power
#22 - Simon Pagenaud

Andretti Autosport
#26 - Zach Veach
#27 - Alexander Rossi
#28 - Ryan Hunter-Reay
#29? - (Usually Indy only)/Fernando Alonso?
#98 - Marco Andretti

Dale Coyne Racing
#18 - Sebastien Bourdais
#19 - Santino Ferrucci

Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing
#15 - Graham Rahal
#30 - Takuma Sato
#? - (Rumored Third Car or Indy only, possibly a partnership)

Schmidt Peterson Motorsports
#5 - James Hinchcliffe
#7 - Marcus Ericsson
#77? - (Indy only)

Ed Carpenter Racing
#20 - Ed Carpetner (Ovals only)/ Ed Jones (Road and Street Courses/In Partnership with Scuderia Corsa)
#21 - Spencer Pigot
#64 - Ed Jones (Indy Only/In Partnership with Scuderia Corsa)

AJ Foyt Enterprises
#4 - Matheus Leist
#14 - Tony Kanaan

Carlin Motorsport
#23 - Charlie Kimball? RC Enerson?
#59 - Max Chilton
#? - (Rumored Third Car)

Harding Steinbrenner Racing
#8 - Pato O' Ward
#88 - Colton Herta
#? - Fernando Alonso

Meyer Shank Racing
#60 - Jack Harvey (Part-Time)

Juncos Racing
#32 - Rene Binder?
#? - (Indy only?)

Dreyer & Reinbold Racing
#24 - Sage Karam (Indy only, possibly part-time)

AJ Foyt with Jonathan Byrd's Racing
#33? - James Davison? (Indy only)

Thom Burns Racing?
#? - Conor Daly? (Indy only?)

Lazier Partners Racing?
#91 - Buddy Lazier (Indy only)

DragonSpeed?
#? - ? (Indy only?)
Big Cat `93
AG
A true shame that Conor Daly doesn't have a full-season seat.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
Harding Steinbrenner Racing Official w/ Pato O'Ward and Colton Herta

Sato to remain with RLLR

Completely agree that Conor needs a ride. IMO, so does Sage Karam, James Davison, J.R. Hildebrand, and Matt Brabham.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG

Most recent IMS test for the wind screen. What do you think?
Kashchei
AG
Better than the butt-ugly F1 "halo" or whatever it's called
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
Felix Rosenqvist to Ganassi Official
Quote:

Chip Ganassi Racing announced Friday that Swedish driver Felix Rosenqvist will drive the team's No. 10 NTT DATA Honda beginning in the 2019 IndyCar Series season as a teammate with reigning series champion Scott Dixon. CGR also announced a multiyear extension that will see NTT DATA remain a primary partner.

Rosenqvist, 26, boasts a lengthy racing resume that includes FIA European Formula 3, the DTM European touring car series and FIA ABB Formula E. The native of Varnamo, Sweden, won the 2015 Formula 3 championship and accumulated 28 wins in four seasons. He is also a two-time winner of both the prestigious Masters of Formula 3 and Macau Grand Prix races.

"To say I'm thrilled or excited to be making this step in my career would be an understatement," Rosenqvist said. "Coming to INDYCAR and driving for Chip is just a dream come true. I've followed the team for as long as I can remember, and it's the kind of team and owner any driver would want to race for. Scott has had another tremendous season with three wins and a fifth title, so you absolutely couldn't ask for anything more in a teammate. I can't wait to start contributing to the team and getting to spend more time with everyone at NTT DATA."
NTT Data re-upping is good for the team too. I think he'll have a chance to jump in and be a serious contender for race wins right away.
'03ag
Kashchei said:

The halo is ugly but it probably saved a life this year. That wind screen wouldn't have helped at all. I get why they can't use a halo on ovals, but I have a hard time seeing the screen make that much of a difference.
jabberwalkie09
AG
'03ag said:

Kashchei said:

The halo is ugly but it probably saved a life this year. That wind screen wouldn't have helped at all. I get why they can't use a halo on ovals, but I have a hard time seeing the screen make that much of a difference.

Let's be honest for a second here and remember what really brought about the implementation of the halo device: Jules Bianchi's crash at Suzuka in 2014. I'm not entirely sure that if the halo was in service at the time it would have necessarily saved Bianchi from the injuries he sustained that day.

In regards to which one is better I don't really have an opinion, but I do concede that both do have the opportunity to actually deflect something like a tire/wheel assembly that separated from a car. Which is, IMO, the primary reason to the include the safety measure. Like we saw happen to Henry Surtees.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.