*****IndyCar 2017*****

4,689 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Big Cat `93
cap-n-jack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This was an interesting off season for IndyCar. Admittedly I don't follow it like I used to but I thought several stories were of note.

Ganassi goes with Honda. I don't get this. Chevy won 14 of 16 races and the championship last year. Rossi won the 500 with a Honda but It was on a fuel run. I'm not trying to take anything away from a brilliant drive and gutsy calls. It was fun to watch.

Target is gone although I saw them on one of the stock cars. But they seem to have picked up sponsorship for all the Indy cars. I kind of doubt they're funded to the levels of preceding years but I'll bet ole Chip will be ok.

Foyt went with Chevy. Seems to make sense. And they are paying Munoz and Daly. Those had always been rented seats. I think maybe AJ is stepping aside and Larry is calling more of the shots now. I'm anxious to see how they do this year. I think/hope they'll be more competitive.

Newgarden to Penske is a pretty big deal. He will have the equipment to consistently compete.
He's a talented young driver, should be fun to watch.

Marco needs to do something this year. If his name wasn't Andretti he wouldn't have a ride. That team appears to have funding and resources. They just seem dysfunctional to me.

It was an interesting discussion on the F1 board about payed vs paying rides. I can count only 12 paid drivers in this series. The three Penske seats, the four at Ganassi, three of the four at Andretti and the two Foyt cars.

So that's 12 cars out of a 22-23 car grid that are paid rides. Everything else is a rental. And at the 500 those grid fillers sign their lives away just for a chance to be in the race.

I'm going to go way out on a limb and predict that a Penske car will win the championship this year.

cap-n-jack
From last to first. Nice drive by Bourdais. Dale Coyne racing, truly the least of these. Well played.
Honda 4 of the top 5. Should be a good year of open wheel racing.
sharpdressedman
cap-n-jack said:

Target is gone although I saw them on one of the stock cars. But they seem to have picked up sponsorship for all the Indy cars. I kind of doubt they're funded to the levels of preceding years but I'll bet ole Chip will be ok.
Target is in a serious decline, and the wound was self-inflicted. Its sponsorship was good for the sport, but politicizing retail operations is never a good idea. I doubt Target will be back.
oklacityag75
AG
I have been an avid Indy Car fan all my life. Never been to Indy, but have watched many going back to the closed circuit years 1965, 1966. 1967, 1968.

I want to see an American driver win it all this year. Hunter-Reay, Andretti, Rahal, or JR Hildebrand

F-1 sux. No drama. 1 to 2 teams max have a chance to win. This is why tire companies keep leaving. Plus, I cannot stand the elitist attitude of the europeans or the domestic communistcrats.
'03ag
oklacityag75 said:

No drama.
Lulz
cap-n-jack
In fairness, last year's F1 drivers championship was pretty dramatic.
The petulant Londoner against the Monte Carlo raised poor little rich boy. It was intriguing.
Constructors? Not so much for the past few years.
I think this year holds much more. Ferrari seems to be on the rise.
IndyCar should be much more interesting also. Honda seems to have gotten their act together.
Newgarden is probably the best bet for an American to make good in an American series.
Should be fun in both series.
cap-n-jack
Honda has stepped their game up. Nice drive by Hinch.
cap-n-jack
Honda wins Long Beach and Sergio wins the Masters. Not sure what to think about this.
Big Cat `93
AG
Holy crap. Alonso's running Indy. For McLaren (via Andretti).
cap-n-jack
They did win last year's 500. But 4th in the last 2 races?
Lots of F1 guys have raced and won there. Can't remember anyone that skipped a F1 race to do it though. Should be fun to watch.
Big Cat `93
AG
Skipping any F1 race is unreal. Skipping Monaco is unthinkable. Or so I thought.
cap-n-jack
Aleshin must bring a pile of money to that team. He's not any good and he tears up a lot of equipment.
Big Cat `93
AG
That's the truth.
cap-n-jack
Alonso killed two birds with one car at the brickyard.
I have no idea how to post video or I would.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG

Indy 500 - Practice 3. As always, live timing and scoring available at http://racecontrol.indycar.com

This month is looking particularly exciting.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
cap-n-jack said:

Alonso killed two birds with one car at the brickyard.
I have no idea how to post video or I would.

Also, pretty good move between Helio and Juan Pablo:
numetalbizkitaggie
AG

HUGE crash for Bourdais in qualifying. He's being transported to IU hospital downtown.
'03ag
not bad Alonso
Big Cat `93
AG
Watched some of the 1979 race on ESPN Classic this morning. I really miss Jim McKay.

Listening to Cheever and Goodyear is better than Ambien.
tk for tu juan
Incredible luck by Dixon, quarter rotation from hitting the wall with his head
cap-n-jack
Helio threw that away trying to make that pass with three laps left. Congrats to Sato.
And Dixon is lucky to be alive, what a scary crash.
tk for tu juan
Helio almost proved the rear winglet is useless on these cars.
Big Cat `93
AG
Those cars are butt ugly, but they put on a great show at Indy. Psyched for Sato. I was rooting for him when he crashed out going for the win a few years ago.

Dixon was inches from going headfirst into the top of the wall. That was pretty terrifying.
Furlock Bones
AG
Alonso has had the absolute worst luck. Can't believe his engine blew.
cap-n-jack
Good to see Rahal take that race.
Oh and his wife literally blew up Friday.
cap-n-jack
Somebody is going to die at this racetrack. They really need to ditch this race. A road course or street race would be just fine by me.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
It's risky, but it's certainly fun to watch. I think it will be better when the second groove gets rubbered in by next year.
Big Cat `93
AG
cap-n-jack said:

Somebody is going to die at this racetrack.
I've been worried about this ever since Kenny Brack's crash there.
Kashchei
AG
I've always been a very casual IndyCar fan; watching the Indy 500 is a family tradition. Saturday was my first race in-person. I think I'm hooked! It was awesome! We were pulling for Sato to come all the way back - so close. Can't wait 2 weeks for the next race.
cap-n-jack
Cool track. I love American road racing. NBCSN's coverage is barely adequate. 5 minutes of inane commercials with 4 laps left. 10 minutes of post race interviews.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
Road America is a place I'd love to visit some time. Pretty exciting race too. I think the cameras missed Rahal going off track after the first pit stop, because he came out in front of Rossi, and all of a sudden was a second behind.
Big Cat `93
AG
Agreed. Road America is a beautiful track. Seeing a race there is on my bucket list.
'03ag
I caught some of qualifying too. The camera work was really poor all weekend. Just a terrible setup around the carousel. Very cool track though. Reminds me of some of the great older F1 tracks. I would love to see F1 race around the carousel.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
Iowa is fixin' to start on NBCSN. Really fun little bullring.
Kashchei
AG
Way too many commercials.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.